1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

What's the deal with these iForce V8s?

Discussion in 'Truck & SUV' started by Ninety Four, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    What's the deal with these iForce V8s?

How much power do the iForce V8s put out? I'm realizing the site has a growing number of Toyota truck owners, so just curious what kind of potential the trucks have.
  2. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    2006 Tundra
    4.7-liter DOHC 32-valve EFI V8
    271 hp @ 5400 rpm
    313 lb.-ft. @ 3400 rpm

2006 4Runner
    260 hp @ 5400 rpm
    306 lb.-ft. @ 3400 rpm

2006 Land Cruiser
    275 hp @ 5400 rpm
    332 lb.-ft. @ 3400 rpm

2006 Sequoia
    273 hp @ 5400 rpm
    314 lb.-ft. @ 3400 rpm
  3. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    ...Wow, my specs read 319 lbs of torque for my 2003. :)

Just to give you guys an idea, a guy out in California built a turbo'd Tundra running an OBSCENE amount of boost. 28-30 lbs I believe. ...he grenaded the motor within about a week, but managed to dyno over 800 horse.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    The specs changed a bit when Toyota adopted the new SAE specs for testing HP/Torque figures, just like the Tundra, most other Toyota vehicles lost power according to the new standard (but the engines are still identical, and would make the same power on the old specs).
  5. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I assume this engine is too big to swap into a Corolla?
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    A guy tried, but because of the weight, it was not feasible.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Geez, imagine... try it :p
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    A guy over on TS tried. He bought the tranny and motor to put into his 9th gen Corolla. He weighed it all out, and it just couldn't handle the amount of weight. Even if you could mount it in the rear...you'd never have the front wheels on the ground.
  9. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    how much do they weigh? like to compare it to a few other engine blocks.
  10. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    It's not like the engine weighs 1,000 lbs... Granted, you're not going to be winning any Auto-x events with a front mounted V8 in a Corolla, but the weight shouldn't be so much that the frame itself couldn't handle it.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    I hate you Brandon for making me call a dealership because I couldn't find those numbers ANYWHERE!

But after plenty of time looking and only coming up with this:

Two guys can lift a non-VVT-i 1ZZ without much problem, weight somewhere around 180 lbs. Keep in mind the 1-ZZ is an all aluminum block. Also keep in mind that weight is with all belt accessories and NO transmission.

The Iforce 4.7L Non-VVT-i is a cast-iron block. All the shop guys I've talked to, are estimating the weight to be around 650 lbs. The newer VVT-i Iforce's also have a secondary head, but are still cast-iron.

Compare that to the Ford 351 Windsor V-8 that comes in at 510 lbs.
    Or the '60 - '70 Small Block Chevy V-8 at 575 lbs.

Another pair of flaws in straddling an Iforce in a corolla, first of all the engine bay has no where NEAR the room to accomodate this. If you were able to strap it in, by the time you mounted the tranny up, you'd basically be hooking the tranny directly into a rear differential creating a direct drive system.

Not a good idea. :)

Edit: Another thought I just had. You'd also have to find a drive axle to support the power (probably a Toyota 8.25 which is in the Tundra / Sequoia anyways. Still need an axle to support the weight alone in the front, which I don't believe the stock corolla axle could handle.
  12. Offline

My03Tundra ROLL OUT!

Message Count:
    THIS thread is why I believe that us (Toyota and Speed) fans would die to see a Toyota muscle car either using the current 4.7L engine tuned for sport applications, or maybe even the new engine from the 2007 Tundra that is 5.7L. I'd die a bit inside if Toyota came out with a MUSCLE car that cranked out a ton of power, was stable as a BMW on the road, and a blast overall to drive. Plus, it would sweeten the deal if it was economical.

When I say MUSCLE car, I don't mean some little Scion tC sized car, but something equivalent in size to the Mustang but cheaper and faster.
  13. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe, sorry to make you go through so much trouble andy!! I figured a good comparison was in order, and from your numbers it looks like it's about 4x heavier.
  14. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    I don't know about the cheaper part...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/gallery.jsp?id=2739&page=1

That's right, Lexus IS500...

:sad: What gives? Must be packaging restraints, I've got a pretty restrictive stock exhaust system (header to muffler), and maybe a less aggressive tune. Before the stupid SAE HP thing I had 270 HP and 330 TQ, now I have 260/306 (Stock)...Dammit.

The 4Runner's Cousin, the Lexus GX470 is rated at 263 HP and 323 ft-lbs of torque with IDENTICAL equipment. Could be a different tune, or they could be making the GX buyers feel like their extra 10 grand was worth it...

*Edit* Acutally, after some research, I bet they are just adjusting the numbers to fit the models accordingly. They are all the same engines with probably the same HP. Yes, there may be some packaging options in the larger vehicles to make them breathe better and a little more aggressive tune, but check this out:

2006 Lexus LX 470 275HP & 323TQ per Lexus' website
    2006 Toyota LC 275HP & 332TQ per Toyota's website

These are mechanically identical vehicles, like the GX470 and 4Runner. I think there is some number games going on here. Of course the only way to really know is to dyno all the vehicles...Or, if I could just get my hands on a LC or Tundra or GX computer...hmmm....
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Altitude is why you are dynoin' lower. :)
  16. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    I wasn't talking about dynoing lower, just the difference in HP ratings before and after the SAE standard was adopted by all automakers. Before, my engine was rated at 270/330 now its rated at 260/306, no changes at all, just the way they are rated. :) Also, I'm trying to figure out why identical engines in other vehicles are rated higher than the stock 4Runner...

As far as dynoing goes, I dynoed at 213 *corrected* AWHP with just the exhaust installed. If you assume a 20% driveline loss that equals about 266 crank HP...
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Ah, so I read that wrong too early in the morning.

That's a good question, I'm wondering if it has to do with the gears in each of these cars.
  18. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i've wondering for awhile what the does "I-Force" mean and how does it work??
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    I asked the same question about a year after I had my truck.

It's just a cool sounding name. I always thought the I would have at least stood for intelligence or something...some cool tricky Toyota engine idea. ...but sadly no.
  20. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I think names like for the Ford Zetec or Duratec or whatever they're called are similar in that they're just names and don't necesarrily correspond to a technology.
  21. Offline

James800 New Member

Message Count:
    I thought it was for the individual coil packs, if you look at the wire going to the top of the spark plug, its only like 18 guage!