1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

whats the best possible way to remove struts

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by 98tealrolla, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Offline

98tealrolla New Member

Message Count:
    whats the best possible way to remove struts

I need some help with removing the struts from my car. Im going to try and do this myself with upgrading.
    1.) Is it possible to use a breaker bar to remove the bottom two bolts/nuts on the strut that hold the strut to the axle or do I have to use an impact wrench?

2.) What can I use to hold the upper spring seat still so I can remove the upper bolt holding the strut support on? Whats the best way to remove this upper bolt (the big bolt on the top of the strut assembly).

3.) After putting everything back on can I just use a standard ft.lb. torque wrench to tighten the nut/bolt set at the bottom of the strut that holds it to the axle or should I use an impact wrench. Also what should I use to hold the bolt still while I tighten the nut to the correct torque?
  2. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    breaker bar wont do shit. i tried. but try using a impact gun for it.
  3. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    If you have the proper breaker bar, it will do the job. Leverage is the key.

Get a really large pipe..the longer the better, and exert force at the farthest point from the bolt.
  4. Offline

laz Member

Message Count:
    I didi this job myself.

Go to autozone and borrow a spring compressor. You have to leave $45 bucks deposit, but you get it back. Get yourself a set of wrenches that go up to 19mm or so. Go to home depot and get yourself a poor man's breaker bar aka 2 1/2 to 3 feet of heavy duty pipe around 2 3/4 to 3 inches wide. Thisis so it fits over the wrench. yes it has to be heavy duty, heavy steel.

For the upper bolts what i did was loosen them before taking the strut off. Since the chassis of the car holds the strut, it is very easy. I loosened them with my ratchet, and it was very easy. Just loosen them, do not taken them off all the way. I used the same bar to tighten the bottom bolts, and the upper bolts I tightened after I put the strut back in place. this trick works wonders since you don't have to kill yourself holding the strut while you tighten it. Also take note as to how the back strut is positioned. It only goes back in the same way.

BTW I did this job myself recently as I took my car back to stock to sell it. It is not a bad job, but with hand tools and only jackstands it took me around 3 hours. It helps to have an extra set of hands.

GL

X
  5. Offline

98tealrolla New Member

Message Count:
    would an electric impact wrench work? i was thinking of getting one from ebay. with tightening the bottom two bolts on the strut how can I keep the bolt still while tightening the nut? (can I just allow the wrench to rest against the tab on the strut where the brake hose attaches) And I've tried to loosen that top bolt but the spring moves while trying to turn it so no luck there.
  6. Offline

laz Member

Message Count:
    Just have another wrench rest on a part of the suspension. Find something suitable. I did all of this with hand tools, so is no biggie.

X
  7. Offline

YannRolla04 New Member

Message Count:
    Check the XTM DIY on installing lowwring springs, it may not be exactly the same as you but it gives a real good idea.
  8. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    It worked on my car...pipes help. :)
  9. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    i dunno, guess it didnt work for me.
  10. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Saw them off.