1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

what is with the size obsession!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kaizoku, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Offline

Kaizoku New Member

Message Count:
    what is with the size obsession!?

this is one thing that has been driving me crazy... (i like arguing with myself in my mind lol :shutup:)

my options atm i was considering is a 4agte conversion ... or a 3sge beams n/a one... or 3sgte.

yes the 3sgte would be nice... but i could reach the same with a 4agte. with less mods to my car.. and it would cost me a lot less aswell ;/ and i have NEVER heard about an 4agte giving trouble EVER ;/ but why do i wanna do to a 2lt turbo with lots more mods and headaches than just do the simple 1600 4agte swap and get the same amount of power without too much hassle and it would be just as reliable (bulletproof setup basically) ? or am i just mental ? :superconf
  2. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    There are only a handful of people in the world who have probably done a 3sgte swap into our generation. I don't think there is a single person on this forum that has a 3s swap. I would honestly recommend a 4a swap as it did go in our cars and is a much much easier swap.
  3. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:

only guy i know to swap a 3sgte into an 8th gen
  4. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    ok first thing you gotta consider is , is the car a drag car or do you like the the twisties . b/c i was torn in this vaery decision when i did my swap. if the car is gonna exhibit its potential the most in a strait line then shoot for the 3sgte.

if the car is gonna be autox'ed or track dayed , the the 4agze retains a decent amount of weight , so you dont have rediculous oversteer.

now as far as performance , for the 250hp stock that the 3sgte is for a $3000 motor , about $4500 complete . you can get a good gze complete swap for about $1500 motor , and $3000 complete.

the 4agze has 170 (3rd gen) hp , where as the 3sgte has 250 hp. youll spend atleast another $2000 getting the 4agze to the level of the 3sgte stock. you put $2000 into the 3sgte , and can get almost 350-400hp outta the 3sgte.

so like i said it all boils down to the type of application your using the car for. if its drag , then all out power and screw the weight over the front rules. but if the car hits the twisties , you know its not all about power in the curves , but rather a perfect balnce of power , and handling.
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I thought this was part 2 of the Australian girls... lol
  6. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    i had to refrain from posting australian girl articles =[
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    ELPrototypes was the very first. I've seen the car in person several years back.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    short answer... mo displacement = mo tork = mo pwr using less boost.

the 3SGE / 3SGTE conversion has been done many times by toyota owners in the philippines and malaysia.. it's not a direct drop in like a A or ZZ series engine but it's really not that hard to do.
  9. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    werd

i know that the passenger side mount on the engine can be swapped between the 3s and the 4a , but you have to move the mount forward like 1 3/4" on the body side. since the mount on the body side is bolted in its not hard to redrill holes and move it :D

but like i said , depends on the application of the drivers demise.
  10. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    From what some guys in malaysia have told me; the only mount that doesn't line up is the right side mount... I kinda wish I did a beams redtop swap but then custom axles is a must. Also the tranny it is mated to is no different from a camry 5sfe 5spd... which IMO is no fun. I love the close ratio 6spd mated to my blacktop.. it adds to my driving pleasure:)

BTW, I found this somewhere
    [IMG]

personally I have absolutely no infomation about it. I never even seen parts for it in japan.. not sure if it really exists.
  11. Offline

Gerson Back with another AE101

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    92 Lexus ES300; 95 AE101 Corolla
    The corolla TRD 2000 does exist JspeXae102. Very limited production exclusively in Japan only. Maybe about a 1000 per year for its 2 year run. I had pics of it looking thru the japanese google images but will find it.
  12. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    yes please do , im interested in that 2000trd . Jspexae102 the e153 5-speed from the camry v6 , has lsd , and dual cone synchros , it will hold up loads better that the 5sfe and bolts up the 3sg . just a tidbit for ya.
  13. Offline

Gerson Back with another AE101

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    92 Lexus ES300; 95 AE101 Corolla
    56K Destruction: TRD 2000 edition AE101 Corolla

I cant really read japanese, but I could get 'em by looking up chassis codes and key words. Excuse the huge pics but I hope this is helpful enuff, enjoy :cool:!!!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

From shubert_ae102:yes please do , im interested in that 2000trd . Jspexae102 the e153 5-speed from the camry v6 , has lsd , and dual cone synchros , it will hold up loads better that the 5sfe and bolts up the 3sg . just a tidbit for ya.

The 3S-GE engine is paired with the S54 found on some celicas and most 92-01 camry w/ the 5S-FE. However u could use the E153 but the LSD option is only found on the MR2 turbo from japan rev2 and 3 (94-99 I think). the axles is gonna be tough to make it to fit our Corollas.