1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine what difference does a lightened flywheel make?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by fastrolla96, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    what difference does a lightened flywheel make?

I'm having to wait 2-3 weeks for an unorthodox flywheel cause I just got my check for the return of my other flywheel that didn't fit. Only problem is I'm gonna have to pay another 105 buck for this flywheel and we are only 70% sure it's gonna fit cause it for the 4afe motor for the ae92. I'm wanting to know how big of a difference a lightened flywheel does compared to stock cause if it barely does nothing then I'm just gonna buy a used one and use the 500 for the flywheel somewhere else. The flywheel is the only thing holding back my car from running.
  2. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    well for one it revs quicker... hehe less weight on the back of that crank ... mine has helped with the shifting, revving, etc... i use a fidanza
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    will it make any difference on 1/4 mile times or does it just help on the efficiency of the car's performance? I'm making sure that everybit of money is worth paying for it. Then again I've spent alot of money on the car thats useless already. lol
  4. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    you have less horsepower loss through the drivetrain..... not noticeable, however. It also allows the engine to rev quicker when in gear, and revs free-er.

that being said, my ae92 with a smallport 4age revs QUITE fast with just a stock ae86 (200mm) flywheel and stock clutch.

in my opinion, go with a smaller setup, and save the money for something else
  5. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Dude, that fidanza makes your car rev like a fucking dirt bike :) I installed my Fidanza 8.5lb aluminim flywheel last year and when I got in the car and gassed it the needle actually bounces now :) Its awesome! Plus when you hit the rev limiter it sounds a little cooler :)

Oh and one more thing that was interesting. When I changed out my stock exhaust after doing the flywheel with the 2.5" cat back exhaust the car reved another %25 quicker. So its just rediculous now. The only downside I have seen with the light flywheel is you need to get your revs a little bit higher for launch because if you try to take off all nice and easy at like 800rpm the car will try to stall :)
  6. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hah yeah the bog launch --- did that a few times when I first got the bitch... was all ' wtf!? ' hehe
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, plus the car seems to buck a little bit more in the low RPM's. I think the heavier flywheel kepts things a little more stable. But I like driving my Corolla simulating a dirt bike :)
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    well from all of your inputs I'm thinking of just saving up that money then cause I'm way past my budget and this part is really overkill for the price. Maybe I'll rethink about getting the lightened flywheel if I go turbo cause that's when it could come in handy. Thanks alot for the help guys and now that's one less issue I'm gonna worry about.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    No prob, yeah the flywheel is a hoot but I think it will be even more of a hoot with a turbo :)
  10. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    now that i think about it.... you ordered the wrong one for the clutch you have...... the ae92 4af/4afe has the same flywheel dimensions (not bolt pattern) as an early 4age... it's a 200mm..... the clutch you got, if it was meant for an ae102 or a later 4age, then it's a 212mm.... the pressure plate won't bolt up and the clutch won't fit.
  11. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    So just get a clutch kit for a '90 Corolla and you should be all set.

-Doc
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    crap well I already got the clutch for my car. The flywheel coming is from a 1990 corolla with 4afe. I'll see how it fits then I'll go from there.
  13. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    if the listing is correct, i can 100% guarantee you it won't fit
  14. Offline

Message Count:
  15. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    that is the correct bolt pattern, but i can tell right away that 1) that isn't an aluminum flywheel (looks to be just a cut back stock flywheel) and 2) that is the smaller 200mm flywheel (the flywheel edge doesn't come out all the way to the ring gear teeth)
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    so can I put that together on my car with the clutch I have already and make it drive or is it gonna have some issues? Cause when that thing gets to my house my car is gonna get back on the lift and get worked on.
  17. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    the clutch you have (for either a later 4age or a 93+ 4/7afe) is a 212mm setup. it won't fit on a 200mm flywheel
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    so what dr. tweak told me, if I get the older 4afe clutch I can get it to work? Hows that possible?
  19. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Like toyotaspeed90 mentioned - the earlier 4AGE and 4AFE engines had the smaller 200mm (7 7/8") clutch/flywheel. The later models had the larger clutch/flywheels - 212mm (8/5/8"). You can use a smaller flywheel/clutch in a car that originally had a larger combo - they just have to be the same size. Example - smallport 4AGE w/o TVIS had a 212mm clutch/flywheel - but a 200mm flywheel could be used as long as you have a 200mm clutch disc.

Like Dr. tweak mentioned - an older 4AFE clutch would work - because you are matching up the sizes. The 200mm clutch with a 200mm flywheel. I believe the number of splines and shaft size were the same (21 spline, 15/16")?
  20. Offline

Message Count:
  21. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So what year did they start using the 212mm?
  22. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    On the 4AGE - I believe it was in the 1990 model year that they switched to a small port design and bumped up the size of the clutch disc. The AE92 (Corolla GT-S) available here in the states was probably the switch over point with the clutch/flywheel - but I'm not 100% sure on this. I checked a couple of parts listing and they have the 1990 GT-S listed with both clutch sizes (200mm and 212mm). The 4AGE powered Toyota before that all list 200mm clutch/flywheels.

The 6th generation Corollas (1988-1992, 4AFE) used 200mm discs. With the 7th generation (1993+) they all used the larger 212mm discs. 1990 Geo Prism GSi (4AGE small port, MAP) had a 212mm clutch. As far as I know - the 4AGZE all used a 224mm disc.
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    so can I keep my pressure plate and just get the clutch disk?
  24. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Normally it is best to repalce the clutch and pressure plate as a matched set. This will avoid issues with mismatched sizes (clearance issues) and degraded performance (friction material is not matched to strength of springs on pressure plate).

They can be mixed and matched in certain instances - pretty common on RWD domestic setups, since you can tailor the characteristics of the system "feel" by modifying the strength of the pressure plate.
  25. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    no, the 212 started in 87
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    so should I get that listing of the clutch kit I posted above?
  27. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    um, that says 88-89 on it...... as i said above, the larger diameter clutches switched over in 87 (except for the ae86... i'm not sure the 212 fits in the bellhousing of the ae86).... the switch was in the ae92's and mr2's..... i would go for a clutch kit for an ae86..... you can get anything from completely stock to completely bad ass
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    ok well I got the 1990 flywheel so your telling me to get a flywheel from an 86? or should I get a flywheel from an ae92 gts or regular?

Well first I'm gonna see if I can match the 212mm clutch kit with the flywheel coming then if not I'll order the one I need 86 or 92.
  29. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Any idea what diameter clutch does the Japanese AE101/111 Corolla uses? There are several 4AGE models and a 4AFE base model
  30. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    The flywheel you have from the 1990 4AFE is a 200mm flywheel. You need a 200mm clutch to match it - hence the reference to the clutch kit from an AE86.

Check on different online retailers (OEM like clutch kits, not the performance types to get the sizes). The 6th generation Corollas (1988-1992, 4AFE engined, AE92 chassis have 200mm flywheels/clutches). Even some of the GT-S variants list 200mm clutches.

Website for Toyota TRD Japan lists the sizes as:

Earlier models
    BODY MODEL YEARS ENGINE
    ------ ---------------- ---------
    AE86 83.05 - 87.04 4A-GE
    AE82 84.10 - 87.04 4A-GE
    AE92 87.05 - 89.04 4A-GE, 5A-F

All with clutch covers (#31210-AE852) and clutch discs(#31250-AE852) - both 200mm in size.

While the later models
    BODY MODEL YEARS ENGINE
    ------ ---------------- ---------
    AE100/101 91.6 - 5A-FE, 4A-FE, 4A-GE
    AE110/111 91.6 - 5A-FE, 4A-FE, 4A-GE

All with clutch covers (#31210-AE100) and clutch discs(#31250-AE952) - both 212mm in size.