1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

News We Speak English... Alabama

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ikonXone, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    We Speak English... Alabama

with the arizona immigration debate going on, i saw this news story on the front of yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100428/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1831

i completely agree with speaking english and only giving state tests in english.
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I also agree.
  3. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
  4. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
  5. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    +over 9000
  6. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    damn right. come here and learn it, we shouldnt have to learn other ones.
  7. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    I think getting a license should just be harder. the test is too easy here in America. This is why people don't understand the rules of driving and I constantly make close calls to almost getting into an accident from simple things as right of way. The reason why I don't object to multi language is because usually that helps people understand the questions a lot better. however, i think they can have like a cheaper fee of taking the test in English than in other languages.
  8. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Im not learning a foreign language because they hopped the border and think they deserve to stay. They deserve to be shot attempting it.
  9. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I also agree on learning english... I learned it too... it's easy to absorb watching hella lots of tv when being a kid lol
  10. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    When you become a citizen, you must first take an English exam. actually that exam is way too easy. They should make it harder. Other than that, i still support having multiple languages. it gives americans the opportunity (or really kinda pushes people) to learn other languages. People in America in general speak the least amount of another language besides your native languages compared to other countries. I think that is sad. However when it comes to services such as the discussed topic of DMV services or other things, English should be the primary language and people requesting help in other languages should be charged a nominal fee. That way, businesses will make more of a profit but at the same time, people who are smart will be forced to learn English. I'm just opposed to only speaking English because I foresee that to possibly and eventually make Americans more stupid.
  11. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    That's pretty funny - that's how my folks and I picked up most of my language skills as well.

Totally agree - as for other languages - I have no problem having multiple languages to learn from, interact. Nothing stops a family in speaking in their native tongue. Just don't make everyone else have to put up with it, learn it.

If people are interested in a language - they are capable enough to learn it on their own.

Funny you mention it, there used to be decent market for capable language translators for a fee. Because of the extra costs involved (time and money), this gave some people an incentive to quickly acclimate to the local language.
  12. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    currently I'm watching a bunch of japanese clips and shows in youtube, but it's much harder since real life japanese is much more faster and peppered with "expression sounds" that you have to take apart to understand what their saying... it's been like half a year, and I do recognize big words, but me making a sentence to say it? not anywhere near yet.