1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine VVTI = VTEC???

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by tegra2rolla, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Offline

tegra2rolla Guest

Message Count:
    VVTI = VTEC???

I have a question on VVTI vs. VTEC... I heard that VTEC engine will 'activate' the VTEC once the rev is up to 5.5Krpm and you will noticed a sound from the engine.

Do VVTI engine do the same thing? If so what is the rpm that will activate the VVTI feature?

Just curious that what our VVTI engine will do. Thanks.
  2. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    VVT-i is NOT = to Vtec. our engine will always adjust just the spark to make most power and best economy. Vtec is a whoole diferent cam profile. Engagement is different for every version, some engage at or around 4k rpm as well.
  3. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    VTEC works the same as the lift in VVTL-i. the camshaft (i know its on the intake cam but i dont know about the exhaust) on those engines have extra, more aggressive lobes that the engine switches to at a certain rpm to make more power
  4. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya Im going with spruce on this one. I also heard that VVTL-i is closer to VTEC.
  5. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    This is the scale for vtec vs vvt-i

lowest = vvt-i
    medium = Vtec
    highest = i-Vtec & VVT-li
  6. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    VVTi stands for variable valve timing with intelligence. Essentially what it does is to change the open and close time of the valves to allow for optimum performance. During high engine speeds the cam position is altered so that the intake valve closes after Bottom dead center (BDC). This allows for more air to enter the combustion chamber, since the air carries enough momentum during the intake cycle.

You really can't compare Vtec to vvti, it's apples and oranges...Vtec also has different types which makes it even harder to distinguish against.

In simplistic terms, VVTi is continuous through out the rev range and can be altered on the fly. Vtec works on a seperate cam profile, this means that it "kicks in" at a certain range. The timing and/or lift can be different. VVTi, has an infinite number of adjustments, Vtec has 2 options.
  7. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    so if someone were to race a Civic EX (stock) with a corolla (stock)
    civic has more chance to win?
  8. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    i would say the corolla would win cuz with VVTi it doesn't have to wait for anything to kick in, the civic however doesn't make most of its power until the VTEC kicks in at, lets say just for an example, 4k rpm... it sort of like the celica gt-s. u dont have hardly any power until u hit lift (or in this case vtec)...

but don't take my word for it cuz i dunno bought i-VTEC and later models might have better low end power
  9. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    well, stupid honda says the old D17 motor found in the civic EX has vtec...in reality it doesnt. what it has is some lesser form of vtec maybe only on the intake side or something, but i know the D series motors, and even the K series motor in the civic SI and the RSX base model dont have realy true VTEC
  10. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    isnt the RSX equipped with the i-vtec though?
  11. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    the type s yes it is does producing 200 hp but not the base rsx with 160 hp
  12. Offline

WebMasta33 Guest

Message Count:
    ...deleted I got a virus warning on the page.
  13. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    If the civic didn't win it would be their fault in my opinion. There is no reason why it shouldn't. A good driver would know that VTEC only works at 4+, for example, and would thus rev in neutral at 4000 until he shifted into 1st.
  14. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    reving in neutral dose no good because your not getting any of the power to the ground so its pointless to just sit there and rev. You just have to go and wait for your RPM to climb into the 4+ range. Even feathering the clutch and holding your RPMs above 4 dose no good beacause becaus if your clutch isnt all the way out then your not getting 100% of the power to the tranny which means your not getting all the power to the ground.
  15. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    i agree 100%... say u both have bout the same power, the corolla's gonna take off quicker cuz it doesn't have to wait for anything to kick in while the civic's gonna be playin catch up cuz it doesn't make power till higher rpm's
  16. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    the base RSX does have i-VTEC... my sister has one. the s-type is runnin diff. compression and requires higher octane fuel... thats why it has 200 hp
  17. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    So you guys are telling me that if your at 4000 or 5000 in neutral, shift into 1st while at 4000 like a drag start, your rpms will drop to 1000 or so and u have to build them all the way up again? I didn't think that would happen. It doesn't happen when I shift from N to D in my automatic corolla, and I do it at like 2500 rmp-Ya i know a few more times and my tranny going to drop out.
  18. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    well u can always do that but if u have an auto and want to drive it more than once than u basically have to start from idle... on the other hand if both cars were manual then it would be a tight race, slow but tight :wink:
  19. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Hey I've done it like 3 times and I'm still going strong lol
  20. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
  21. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    I didnt realize they had the same engine I thought the Rsx base was just a v-tech engine pretty much like the base celica to the gts celica. And a stock rolla 5 speed will beat a stock civic ex 5 speed that is same driver in both cars.
  22. Offline

TheDruid Guest

Message Count:
    the civic Vs. Rolla topic maybe about manual trannies...(wish my rolla had one..=*/...)

but lemme just say say that a stock Auto 03 Corolla S(running on almost bald stock tires with 25K Miles, Full tank, and guitar amp in the trunk) will chew up an Auto 03 Civic Coupe EX with CAI, straight pipe exhaust, empty cargo, and carbon fiber hood. At launch it may even out...but thanks to Toyota...the 3rd gear's ratio is great!! that's when you start pulling away...and i mean...PULLING AWAY>>>>
  23. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Dont get your hopes up. I cant beat my friend's automatic 1993 Accord (stock 130 hp). This may be because he has headers, CAI, and an exhaust, but still its very uncool.
  24. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    people actually do neutral drops in here? :roll:
  25. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya why do you ask?
  26. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    I think the Type S rsx is more like the GT-s Celica ... with a high lift cam that switches at a certain rpm ... the Type S has different intake runners that also switch to compensate for the cam change.

The base rsx says it has an I-VTEC ... but it's an economy version that saves gas and drops a valve or so under 2k rpm ... I have a base rsx ... notice how it drops to 700rpm when you let off the gas? even when you go 40mph ... it helps to save gas ...

I was so wierded out when driving the corolla and the rsx ... i didn't feel much of a difference in power ... at first ... now i realize .. the corolla has more low end power and the rsx has a much higher high end power ...

rsx has no torque either ...

How much does the civic weight vs the corolla?
  27. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    civics have 125hp and the accord has 130. 5hp makes a difference. but there's a realyl good way to launch with autos without doin a rev drop. it can literally make u "jump" ahead of the other cars at start and The Druid did it. but then so did the guy that he raced cuz that's his co-worker's civic.
  28. Offline

Corolla_Racer956 Guest

Message Count:
    ?????

well i have raced a stock civic with my stock corolla and let me just say that i am prous that corolla's come with a vvt-i engine than a v-tec cuz its true, the civic had to play cath-up with me during the whole race and i took him by like half a car.

And just a litlle funny comment me and my friends say that VVT-I stands for
    VERY
    V-TEC
    TO
    INTEGRAS!!! i dunno i thought it was funny!!!
  29. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Think about what's happening in your transmission when you do that. The engine is up there revving, but your wheels are having to catch up to it. During that time, something is slipping somewhere. Most likely your torque converter is churning up that tranny fluid and burning it up. You're also possibly scraping up the permanent clutches inside your transmission.

Keep doing that and one of these days you'll put it in gear and not go anywhere.
  30. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya but as long as its within 2 yrs, its cool cause im under warrenty.