1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine vvt-i swap

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by rainbow_star, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    I don't know. But I think it's not worth that much $$$ just for the extra 5hp.
  2. Offline

bomextoyrolla Guest

Message Count:
    vvt-i swap

i have a 98 corolla non vvt-i and im wondering if a vvt-i head from a 01-02 (i think) can fit onto the block of mine right now?
  3. Offline

prrolla New Member

Message Count:
    yes it would but you'll have to change your harness and ecu, 00-02 all had vvt-i. i'm doing that same swap but mine will be a complete motor buildup from a celica gt
  4. Offline

prrolla New Member

Message Count:
    well in my case im going with a bigger bore, bigger injectors, 3angle valve job, a bit of porting on the heads and few other things my goal is to reach or be as close as possible to 200hp without a turbo or S/C.
  5. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    good fucking luck, i haven't even seen people that are boosting hit 200 yet..
  6. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    just swap in a built 20v. save urself some money
  7. Offline

rolla96dx New Member

Message Count:
    silver2000, ur signature matches... but ur right...

doing just the head swap isn't worth it. but to be honest, to try and crank any real power from one of toyota's F heads isn't really worth it..
  8. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Yeap exactly what I'm doing on my 98' and then turbo.... the works will probably put u at close to 120 hp or so but not big gains with all the boring out and crap, only way u'll make it happen is if turbo comes in. Vortex is pushing over 200 easy right now on the stock 1zz he has on there.
  9. Offline

prrolla New Member

Message Count:
    i'm sure with the right parts and tuning it's possible. have you guys seen the http://www.jotechracing.com/html/pr...ectVehicleID=55 of course it's turbocharged boosting about 26psi at 500+ whp but it has a FE head. my future plans for the motor would be adding the S/C but at first i wanna break it in without the forced induction and dyno it to see where it's at.
  10. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    Right now my engine in my 01 has been done with a big bore kit with wesco 8.8:1 pistons,crowler rods.Arp head studs and valve job with mwr valve springs.My head has been p&p.Ahigh valume oil pump.I am ready for turbo but right now I have to deal with only 98hp.
  11. Offline

prrolla New Member

Message Count:
    well with the lower compression you probably lost a bit of hp but not much probably what type of engine management do you have?
  12. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    was going to run power fc but couldnt get it to work.I am running a modifyed ecu but I will be running an emange. my slushbucket tranny is what hurts me.
  13. Offline

prrolla New Member

Message Count:
    oh ok, you i had heard and read that by going with a bigger bore can increase the power by 20% i guess depends on size and all. what size did you bore it out to? i'm thinking of going with 82mm
  14. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    I am at +0.5mm (+ 0.020") which is 82mm