1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Voltage Spikes Under Heavy Acceleration

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Toxinate, May 18, 2006.

1. Offline

Toxinate New Member

Message Count:
    Voltage Spikes Under Heavy Acceleration

Problem: Voltage Spikes under heavy accleration...

Solution: ???

Any ideas?
  2. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    Get a voltage stabilizer?
  3. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    i can only say ... it's normal. this happens because energy is created when the alternater is driven. and that's connected to a belt driven by the engine. so the faster the engine rotates, the higher the voltage will be.
  4. Offline

Toxinate New Member

Message Count:
    Yes, but I get sever, intermittent voltage spikes and drops... as in my headlights will flash like a strobe light, and one time, my stereo powered off. Some say bad alternator, but I guess I'll take it to a shop and get a professional opinion. Any ideas on new alternators?

Keep in mind that I have 3600 watts in my trunk.
  5. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    get a replacement oem alternator. and for the amp maybe a capacitor that can be able to handle all that power
  6. Offline

Toxinate New Member

Message Count:
    Relating to my problem, I have now successfully pulled somebody over.
  7. Offline

corolla_man_j Guest

Message Count:
    you don't just need a optima battery, you are going to need 2 batteries, one for the car, then one for the stereo amp, I have never heard of burning out the ecu, the worst that could happen is your rpm will drop so low your car stalls, this from experiance. also if you are running that much power,and an extra battery, you need to look into a trickle charger.

All that info is good and all, but you say that your stereo is off, so that has nothing to do with your problemo. If I were you, I would check your grounds. More than likely it is either a bad connection, loose connection, or corroded connection.
  8. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    3600watt system in the back no wonder your lights dim... lol... u probably need a more powerful alternator, more capacitor, and a good optima battery...
  9. Offline

nocpan New Member

Message Count:
    yup, to prevent your stereo from going dim or off, get a capacitator, however this does not solve you voltage problem, voltage stabilizer would also work somewhat but everything should be backed up by a better stronger alternator because that's the root problem, with such big amp you are draining the car of power and you risk burning out the ecu.
  10. Offline

Toxinate New Member

Message Count:
    well, the problem was a bad alternator. Took me an hour to replace it and works good as new. 160 amps @ 1200 rpm. 75 amps at idle.