1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

vibrating steering wheel.....

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by 04 BLK S ROLLA, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Offline

04 BLK S ROLLA Guest

Message Count:
    vibrating steering wheel.....

i just got 18 x 7.5 rims put on.....225/40/18's......at low speeds the steering wheel vibrates....they were balanced already.....is this an alignment issue or a balancing problem????
  2. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    with bigger rims comes lower profile tires, so you will probably feel more of the bumps and imperfections in the road giving somewhat of a harsher ride. how bad does it vibrate?
  3. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    Did your wheels come with hub centering rings? or are the rims already hub centric?

If the wheel is not exactly centered on the hub when you install it, you could get vibrations from that. Hub centering rings will resolve that.
  4. Offline

04 BLK S ROLLA Guest

Message Count:
    apparently there was way too much air in the tires, like 50 lbs i think which the guy said was causing the steering wheel to vibrate.....he suggested i get an alignment also cuz the car pulls a liitle to the right......

you guys familiar with static vs dynamic balancing??
  5. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    Do not get static balancing!

The dynamic balancing probably costs more but is much needed.
  6. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Same problem cept at faster speeds. Mine shakes bad above 55MPH, should I get them rebalanced or what? It never used to do this untill I rotated my tires a couple weeks ago and now it's horrible :cry:

I'm getting an alignment soon as I am way overdue for one :oops:
  7. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    Your problem APC sounds like its due to the tires wearing unevenly. I would bet that getting an alignment and rebalancing the tires would help.
  8. Offline

zhentipede Guest

Message Count:
    allign 65 bucks

balance maybe cheaper at any tire shop

............... i had to allign mine everytime i hit the curb lol poor rims
  9. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    It could be alignment, it could be balance, or it could be a slightly out-of-round tire, a warped tire, a bad rim, and the list goes on.

Find a shop that has one of these:

http://128.242.141.111/pub/technical/4127T/4127t.cfm

Most Toyota dealerships around me have them.
  10. Offline

limp_noodle Guest

Message Count:
    hey i get the same problem too with the wheel at high speeds..i have the tiens on and havent gotten an alignment yet, but then i had the tiens on for more then a year now. with my stock alloy rims there was never a problem with vibrating or uneven wear. my tires a fairly new also, only have about 600 miles on them. at first when i took it back to the shop they said that one of the rims was balance unevenly but when i took it back to the highway it did the same thing so i dont know now. the place that did my rims and tires install also does alignment but said my specs are all gone since i lowered my car, so they dont know what the camber and toe and all that other stuff should be.
  11. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    I just rotated them and the back two tires (now up front) were not worn at all since they were almost new. I'm hoping one of my rims is not bent :oops:

I'm really hoping one of the tires is just not centered on the hub or something stupid like that. The alignment should fix the problem and if not then a really good balancing will.
  12. Offline

04 BLK S ROLLA Guest

Message Count:
    i got the alignment and everything is alll good..
  13. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Sweet, I'll do the same sometime this week then. Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear :wink:
  14. Offline

limp_noodle Guest

Message Count:
    Make sure that the lugs are all torqued to spec. I'd suggest a rebalance, but then again you already said that it has been.

How much does it vibrate and at what speeds exactly. Like brownbanana said low profile tires don't dampen the road as much as the stockers do.

-Larry
  15. Offline

vanion2 Guest

Message Count:
    If your wheel vibrates above 50 mph+ then you probably need to check your lug nuts and hub centric ring. Make sure everything is tight and in place.

Any time you change the heigt of your ride (up or down) align it. If you are going to spend all that money on tires and rims, what's an extra $65 to ensure you have a smooth ride and longer tire life?

Google has a lot of articles on this and it helped me save money and time at the tire shops because they are going to recommend you do everything under the sun to get into your pocket books.
  16. Offline

TravisB New Member

Message Count:
    Had the problem.. got my wheels rotated yesterday and I think aligned too. Working perfectly now.. no more problems when going above 70.
  17. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    Wow, seems like an alignment is going to do the trick. Sweetness, thanks guys :wink:
  18. Offline

limp_noodle Guest

Message Count:
    well if he rotated the wheels that means those other two wheels need to rebalanced, he doesn;t need an alignment.