1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Universal Roofracks- how well do they work? 8th gen owners?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by kenAJUSA, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Offline

kenAJUSA Member

Message Count:
    Universal Roofracks- how well do they work? 8th gen owners?

Has anybody used these universal roofracks, I want to start getting into kayaking and the price difference between yakima/thule and universal ones on ebay is ridiculous. Just curious if anybody has used these "universal" ones. Are getting accessories pretty standard?

Anybody with experience loading stuff on top of the corolla?

Thanks guys.
  2. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    I've always been concerned about lifespan and vehicle safety with the universal stuff, especially when larger, heavier or bulkier items are involved. Like they say - you get what you pay for. I can see this more of an issue for infrequent use items - might get lucky and get a good deal on one on eBay or Craigslist. But $30 vs $200 - depends on what is most important to you.

First experience with a univeral rack (Highland brand?) on our older Dodge - that ended up a nightmare. The towers, which sit on the top of the car (rubber feet and suction cup to locate them) were strapped through the car (nylon strap), ended up caving in the roof of the car - as they sat on the inside of the drip rail on the roof. Even moving them to the outside of the drip rail, just from the vibrations of driving / wind buffeting - the "towers" automatically inched toward the centerline of the car. The towers were never evenly placed by the crossbar (telescoping type) - and it wiggled under even a modest load. I could have glued down some 2x4s on the roof and it would have held up better than those universal ones.

On the Corolla and Matrix - I use Yakima exclusively. They pay for themselves if you use the rack more than a couple times a year. I've put stuff as large as a sofa sectional to as heavy as a barbox (7' pool table - not recommended) and they both have held up perfectly. The Q-towers fit perfectly, don't move and the silicone feet don't scratch the paint. I also got slightly longer cross bars, aero-fairing, and lock cores - best $300 I've spent - bought them when I got the car - so they've held up for over 8 years.
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    they should be fine as long as you drill/bolt them onto the roof. Or perhaps have it welded to the roof.
  4. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    i doubt my rolla would make it in the snow when we go boarding. lol