1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Unichip

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by JDM COROLLA S, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Offline

JDM COROLLA S New Member

Message Count:
    Unichip

What is the unichip? Does it work with the supercharger? Is tuning involved or is it plug in..Is it really worth the money? How much horsepower is it suppose to produce?
  2. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    Its an ECU upgrade. The downside is that you need to send your "chip" off when you want it changed or tuned. It could take a week or two sometimes. They are close to about $800, for that price you could have an AEM programmable ECU... which you can adjust on the fly.

HP all depends on how restrictive your computer is stock (some cars more than others). If its stock i'd say about a 5 hp gain, but with I/H/E or a s/c... you could be looking at over 20... it all depends
  3. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    actually using a full standalone programmable ecu you generally can make decent power gains over most bolt ons..... the settings in a stock computer are meant for emissions, daily driving, fuel economy, and longevity......

i'm an avid fan of the Megeasquirt setup
  4. Offline

LowRolla Will work for turbo

Message Count:
    i've heard the unichip is really only worth doing once you have quite a few engine mods.. for the same reasons polo just said. On a stock engine, there won't be much to change, but with bolt-ons and a s/c... the gains will be significantly more.
  5. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    That is true for any piggyback or standalone ecu. There isnt a whole lot to correct until you have some modifications done. Basically figure anytime you do an airflow modification the air/fuel needs to be adjusted. I.E. Intake, exhaust, header, s/c or turbo. All of these mods will make the unichip and any controller more beneficial. Its the best way to get the money you spent out of those mods to perform the right way.
  6. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    haha, you said squirt
  7. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    damn straight

map based (2.1bar... can wire in 3 or 5 bar) standalone system (and power relay board)...... connects to any laptop via a straight through 9 pin connector (all software can be obtained for free).....

[IMG]

[IMG]

you're looking at $216 shipped to my door and 6 hours of work putting it together....
  8. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    nice... and for $200. Hell of a deal bro
  9. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    that's why megasquirt is so popular
  10. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Yea but you will see more gains with other boltons when you start messing with the air fuel ratio and timing. There isnt as much to be gained when your stock.