1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Unichip - Worth the $$$?

Discussion in 'Truck & SUV' started by OUTRNNR, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    Unichip - Worth the $$$?

Conversations stemming from a couple other threads in this subforum got me thinking about the way my 4Runner V8 is tuned. Seems like it is at the bottom of the 4.7L V8 tree when it comes to power (or so Toyota says), and I imagine that if this power difference between all of the identical V8's acutally exists, I have to believe that at least part of it is the computer (fuel management, timing, etc.). Especially since the GX 470 (Identical engine equipment and packaging) makes more power and torque but calls for premium fuel to acheive these numbers.

Well, as some of you may know, Unichip makes devices that basically leans out your A/F ratio to make more power. It takes the signal from the O2 sensor in the exhaust stream, microprocesses it and either amplifies or de-amplifies the signal and feeds it back into the ECU to "trick" the computer. The computer thinks its running the factory rich A/F ratio when its acutally running a more stoichiometic A/F ratio.

This is interesting to me because when I dynoed the first time, running 87 octane, the sniffer was reporting a farily rich 12:1 A/F ratio. If I could get this up to 13 or higher I might see significant power increases. I would like to get my hands on a GX 470 ECU, and a Unichip and mess around on a dyno to see if there is any additional power to be had here. Also, I want to mess around with the funky ACIS (Acoustic Control Induction System, a variable intake runner setup) to see if any power can be re-allocated here too. Right now the system switches lengths at around 4200 rpm, but I want to try with them closed the entire rpm range, open the entire rpm range and change switchover points.

Basically, if anyone here has had experience with a Unichip or any other kind of air-fuel tuning device I'd like to know what it was like, and what you think about my plan to squeeze a little more juice out of the 2uz-fe. :D
  2. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    I've been exploring the options when it comes to programming. The problem I see with the Unichip is that it is only a switched piggy back ECU. You have either option A or option B.

Top of the list right now is the Greddy eManage system. While still being a piggy back ECU, it can be programmed on the fly with a laptop.

It also happens to be about $400 less than the Unichip. I've heard rumors that the next version of the Unichip will be fully programmable, but that so far has been unsubstantiated in my world.
  3. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    I just got off the phone with Brian at URD. I bought a Split Second PSC1-001 signal calibrator with MAP, $270 shipped. He threw a map on there for me that should lean me out a bit. The nice thing about it is that I can hook my laptop up and using a Wideband O2 sensor I can tune it even more if I feel like it. It should get me to 12.5-12.8:1. I'll go to the dyno this weekend and report the results.
  4. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    URD is a great shop. and yes, I'd recommend the e-manage over a unichip if you're looking for multiple profiles.
  5. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    You need to hurry up and supercharge, and I need to hurry up and go Turbo. Then we can go to Bandimere and see who wins. :D :D :D
  6. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    :soon $$$$
    :djparty:
  7. Offline

My03Tundra ROLL OUT!

Message Count:
    There is a programmable Unichip that you can view and program via Bluetooth using a Pocket PC. It is in the latest Performance Products catalog, and isn't cheap.
  8. Offline

James800 New Member

Message Count:
    Ya i know i was looking into it, But then i got this urge to buy a condo! so truck mods might be on hold for a while.