1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

two DIN dash install?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Qubit, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Offline

Qubit Guest

Message Count:
    two DIN dash install?

Well, I've got two single-DIN Kenwood units which I want to replace the factory head unit with (one's a minidisc receiver, and the other is a slave CD player, sort of like an in-dash single-disc "changer").

Problem is, every installation kit I've found is for one DIN unit and a little storage space. :(
    any suggestions on what I do now?
    (I have already checked this site's Parts Database, which is awesome, by the way.)
  2. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Install the second unit in the top pocket immediately below the a/c controls. Just a couple of little ctus to remove the back, and drill a couple of holes for the screws... and BAM. 2 din units would fit in the bracket for the radio, however I think the way that the faceplate lined up would make it very difficult to make a kit for double din. I talked to a rep from AIUS when I bought my kit, and he said they had tried to go double.. bu to no avail.
  3. Offline

Qubit Guest

Message Count:
    My option of last resort. I'm loathe to give up the storage space, especially since it seems perfectly suited for a handful of minidiscs. I'm a little spoiled, I guess, by all the interior storage of my current Celica. Your install looks really nice, though, so I'm sure I'll be able to live with it, if I'm forced to install the second unit in that storage pocket.
  4. Offline

Qubit Guest

Message Count:
    Oops. I just went back to the site in your .sig, and there isn't any image of a pocket-to-DIN conversion. I must have confused a pic from someone else's car with yours.

But I'm sure your install really does look nice. :)

(Wait, do you even have an audio unit installed there?)
  5. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Yah.. DOH! I forgot to put that up with the rest of my pics. But yah.. JVC deck with 12 desk changer, Pioneer 6x9s and Pioneer 12s.
  6. Offline

Qubit Guest

Message Count:
    Hey, Methane...

Are you happy with the quality and fit of your American International dash kit? I'm thinking of getting one and having the pocket cut out in order to try to get a flush trim ring.

Also, did you find that there was a factory amplifier in there somewhere, or was the power provided solely from the head unit?

This custom stereo business is turning into more trouble than I'd anticipated.
  7. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Hey, Methane...

All there was is the HU... and the AIUS kit is great.. they were the first to come out with one, so I have to give them their props.