1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Turbo'd Rolla is Dying!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by RacingSolution, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    Turbo'd Rolla is Dying!

Well... it was only a matter of time before my car aged in preparation to die.. All those early issues with the Stafford kit messed up my motor. Heres whats up now.

I had a big issue with detonation before I got a decent boost controller. My alcohol injection wasn't working properly so the high boost was quietly killing my motor. For a while now, I've been getting some valve noise.

Typically, when you start your car, you get a very fast repetitive spark... mine is very slow and sluggish and sounds like some old pickup truck trying to start up. My idle has been bouncing around as well... Most recently the car drops down to about 700rpms when idling and it feels like the car's gonna stall.

The car's felt sluggish during acceleration for a while, however in boost its just like it used to be.

I checked the oil yesterday and noticed some metal particles in it...

soooooo.... any ideas? Oil was changed about 1500 miles ago... plugs were changed about 6 months ago.... The car itself has about 48000 miles on it..
  2. Offline

Epiz_untamed Guest

Message Count:
    so this was caused by the turbo you think?
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    yes.. because it wasn't installed and tested properly
  4. Offline

Epiz_untamed Guest

Message Count:
    i am planning to buy a kit from them. what was the problem?
  5. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    That sucks, man -- are you going to rebuild/reinforced internals?

6. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    the erratic idle could be due to the valves not seating right.... my old 4afe had that problem.... another ae92 owner had the exact same problem and found a chipped valve (i never looked too closely at the 4afe head when i had it out...)
  7. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    You gotta save the original Turbo-ed Rolla man from SF at least
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Yah I dont want to ditch the rolla... Its only got 48k miles on it.. and its my daily driver... my TC is my show car .. so I'm sure I'll end up fixing it.. and if I do.. might as well do it right...
  9. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING!!! :O

I did nothing of the sort. I did not modify the alcohol injection at all.. If you want the real truth then here it is... Stafford hooked up the alcohol injection himself when he changed the boost reference to the manifold and not the charge pipe.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE WHO KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SAYING SHIT OUT THEIR ASS...

I am building and fabricating my own turbo kit but I didn't know what I was doing installing a turbo kit???? I have all the pictures to prove that everything I did was as it was supposed to be.

I hate to break it to you but Stafford installed the kit on your car and it was never done right from the beginning and is now destroying your motor. Are you going to sit there and tell me that something I did with the kit before stafford INSTALLED IT in your car is the root of all your problems? Stafford really pulled one over your eyes...

BTW!!! The infamous Alcohol Injection is nothing more than a pressure switch and a nozzle. Nothing more... nothing less...

When I sold you the kit, I told you there were all kinds of problems and that you were going to have all kinds of trouble with stafford and you didn't seem to care then. Now you are having problems with stafford and blaming the whole thing on something I supposedly did that stafford should have caught had I done it seeing as how it was his kit and he fabricated it??? Sounds like a load of crap and you bought every bit of it.

Enjoy rebuilding your motor...

Jeff
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Not sure.. Depends on if its worth it or not. Its pretty expensive... I may try for sponsorships... but thats probably not going to work out...
  11. Offline

Epiz_untamed Guest

Message Count:
    did you install it your self or had sf installed it for you
  12. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    sucks to hear that man.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    SF installed it
  14. Offline

sean2sean Member

Message Count:
    metal particles? well when i did my first oil change, i noticed that there was metal particles in the oil... thats when i did my first oil change back at 2k.

i asked around, and they told me if the particles u see... u can crush it with ur fingernail, its just some additives... that looks like metal shavings... but it actually is not...
  15. Offline

Epiz_untamed Guest

Message Count:
    mayn and still didn't work properly
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    The guy I bought the turbo from, Jeff, 2001Rolla, modified the alcohol injection system since he tried to install it himself... so when stafford installed it.. they hooked it up like they thought it was supposed to be... but the whole time, it wasn't hooked up right... once they fixed THAT issue... they thought it was working, and then next time I took it in.. turns out my alcohol injection nozzle was clogged and wasn't spraying anything.. this was over the course of 4 months.. so the damage was already done.
  17. Offline

LowRolla Will work for turbo

Message Count:
    it's unfortunately only a matter of time whenever you boost a non-factory-boosted engine. Just bite the bullet, throw in some low-comp pistons/forged rods, new valves and you're set. Yeah, it's gonna be about another $1500 (plus labor) but it'll be much faster and a HELL of a lot more reliable...

sucks to hear, but hey now you have an excuse to take the next steps :)
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    hehe.. yah I know... Sean.. you thinking what I'm thinking?? group buy? =)
  19. Offline

sean2sean Member

Message Count:

hey brian... ne time ur ready... ill be on it... and btw... transgo told me that they might need another car in... other then mine... ill let them know about u if they need ur car...
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Ok sounds good.. what do they need another car for?
  21. Offline

Tokez420 Guest

Message Count:
    do a compression check and see what that reveals
  22. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    I don't want to sound like an ass but weren't you running at 10 psi with no internals or anything?
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    I ran 9 at the most... My daily driving was done mostly at 7.5.... Sean is the one who's running 13lbs
  24. Offline

sean2sean Member

Message Count:
    they need to put a shift kit on another car to see how well it works. something like that.

and at most i ran 12psi. it might spike to 13 but not at a stable 13.

brian, you know any good shops that would do internals? i got a quote somewhere in orange county and wanted about 1500.
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    Nah I dont know of any at the moment. I'll ask around... and I can't run my car at 12psi to test out their shift kit. I'll blow up my motor.
  26. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    This sure damn implies a lot to me...

The really sad thing is, I had the thing running better than what stafford has it running on your car and he designed the damn thing.

It's funny how at the meet you didn't say one word to me and now I know why. You're pissed that the kit I sold you, the kit that isn't worth shit, is fucking up your car and the words "I told you so" are ever so close to my lips... hahahaha I just have to laugh hahahahaha...

Where's that eandree bitch now???
  27. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    BTW!!! Ofcourse he is going to tell you that... He can't have people thinking he doesn't know what he's doing... God forbid he blows up another motor.

Ever wonder why there are a couple spare 1zz motors laying around his shop??? No, he's not collecting them.. he's blowing them up.

Have a nice day. :D
  28. Offline

mncrolln Guest

Message Count:
    Here is what I think is funny...All I have heard about this SF kit in the past year has been bad news, yet there are still people on here that want to buy it. Now I am trying to get a company to build a top quality turbo kit for our cars and no one even replies to my threads saying they might be interested? It was just odd, when I was at the shop talking to the guys about the SF kit they were looking at everything the kit came with and were telling me that it wouldn't last long and it would kill the engine eventually, probably within a year. Now there is evidence that, without even seeing the kit on a car, they were right. It is just sad, I am willing to drop all the cash to have the kits put together and a few made up so they are ready to ship and no one even sounds interested. Why would I drop $10K+ to have a few kits made that will actually come with all of the pieces they need, a pretuned Emanage and top of the line everything else that will cost about $4K when people obviously don't care about quality, all they want is a turbo regardless of the problems it might have. Have people lost their minds? I wouldn't put the SF kit on my car if they GAVE it to me after all the bad reports I have read on here. I guess I will just have the shop make the kit for my car and let everyone else enjoy the wonders of their SF masterpiece.
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    Actually Jeff.. the reason I didn't say a word to you.. is because when you first pulled up to the meet at speedzone.. I waved to get your attention.. and u did'nt wave back.. and then you decided not to say a word to me the whole time we were at speedzone.. Thats the reason..

And you can be done with posting in the thread jeff.... your posts are worthless to me.
  30. Offline

Turbo1zz New Member

Message Count:
    First off... If you waved at me or my girlfriend neither of us remember. We talked to ABSOLUTELY every one there so don't think we were avoiding you. The only thing we remember is the glares and wispers from you and your girl...

But who cares. I sure as fuck don't. I think it's funny you blew your motor. I think it's a blast. I'm going to cut and paste your original post and make it my desktop wallpaper. Any time I need a laugh, I'll just minimize all my programs and read your post... That should bring a smile to my face...

Have a wonderful day :D