1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Turbo Manifold

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by BizaRRo DereK, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    Turbo Manifold

I'm thinking about being rediculous and making a twin turbo or 3 turbo manifold (for show obiously) would anyone be interested in it? If you dont bring home 1st place in all the shows with this sucker then i dont know what would...
  2. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    im up for a single turbo set up manifold:)... I hope i can gather more funds so i can get parts...
  3. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Educate me here please: do you have to use a special intake manifold for a turbo, or can you use the stock intake and run piping, but ovbiously modify the exhaust?

Even for a twin turbo?
  4. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    for the intake, i believe the stock will be fine but u gotta get new injectors to not have a lean air to fuel mixutre. as for the exhaust u need a new one since the turbo runs off the exhaust gasses.

Hey D, are you doing water cooled or oil cooled??
  5. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    I'll be using a stock eclipse turbo (either 14B or T25) which are water and oil cooled...

Yes the only diffence you need in your exhaust is the manifold and down pipe... the rest will be the same...

the intake manifold stays stock... injectors *should* be changed but its not the biggest fuel issue... the fuel pump is... doing both is recommended... (eclipse 450cc injectors work very well, im not sure if walbro has a drop in fuel pump yet but if they have it for a celica they have it for us)
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    cool, thanx for conforming my doubts and questions. cant wait to see your car run. are you gonna do the sleeving too or just keep it stock?? any ideas on PSI???
  7. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    sleeving?
  8. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    saw some corolla fuel pumps here-http://monkeywrenchracing.com/toyota.html
  9. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    wow they even have pistons and rods... niiice ;)
  10. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
  11. Offline

ConwayJim Guest

Message Count:
    Woah that's pretty cool, are you just talking/thinking about it at the moment, or are you actually going to be looking into this.

This project looks promising 8)
  12. Offline

mars Guest

Message Count:
    Never heard of sleeve kits. Basicly they are the thicker sleeves you drop in that stupid open block enging to close it up. Cooling system is build in to them. From there you definitly know how much better closed block engine is. Rumors say that Darton Internastional is developing one for 1zz.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    thank you mars for clearing that up. sorry Derek. i should have specified.
  14. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Turbo Manifold

You dumbasses never cease to amaze me!:roll: I swear on all that is holy, I just want to find you and shake the ever-living crap out of you! You think a "Tri-turbo" Corolla would win a car show? That is god damn redonkulous! Tell me hotshot, do you think your Corolla shitty 4 banger motor could possibly spool 3 turbos? Do you have any idea how much lag you would be suffering? If your prototype turd were to run and make boost, you wouldn't see any until you reached 13,000 RPM :lol: What the hell is your problem here people?

I just made myself retarded by reading this thread. :(

P.S. Bizarro, help cleanse the human gene pool and hang yourself with a belt in your closet tonight... okay?
  15. Offline

R-ed Guest

Message Count:
    i was wondering if you're getting a turbo system fabricated for you, or are you using the turbo that's available on the matrix forums or new celica forums. ive been looking around there, and seen that they have a turbo kit also.
    I was also wondering if it's wise to get the turbo that the matrix forums are offering. It sounds real good, and it shouldnt be any problems fitting in our engine because we share the same exact engine. But the only thing i worry about is the O2 sensor on the header. Looking at the picture of the matrix header, it doesnt havent the hole for the sensor. Im wondering if turbo manifold would have an opening for our O2 sensor for our car. sorry for the long post
  16. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Should be able to have a decent exhaust shop pop a hole in the pipe and maybe weld a nut the size of the O2 sensor on. Location might be a little critical though, not sure, thinking maybe the further from the exhaust port, the more time the oxygen had to burn off.
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    i dont think there is a need for 3, cuz most top fuel dragsters run a quad setup and they actually use it. Derek i see your point on the show thing but you gotta keep in mind its a daily driver and it may be a pain to get the triple setup to be timed and controlled.
  18. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    wwwwooooooo wait a sec... I'm making the manifold and kit my self... I always do my own work. And the o2 sensor will go after the turbo on the downpipe.

Well the manifold would take care of the timing for each and the control wouldnt be too hard. It would just be a bit expensive to buy 3 turbos to fit onto the manifold. Really the manifold would only cost a few dollars more to make.
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    but wouldn't space be an issue to locate then intakes, and the actual turbos to the t/b. eventhough we have quite a bit of engine space, it will take a bit of work no doubt
  20. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    yep... thats why i wanted to know if anyone would be interested before i work my ass off doing one... lol
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    well how much boost are you gonna run total. if just a single will suffice then dont bother but if u gonna do like say 20 PSI (hypothetical) and run 10 off each trubo on 2 for efficiency then i can see it being worth the time. also what are you gonna do about transportation while you are the "mad scientist" in the garage...
  22. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    well i need to just mesure for spacing on my car and test it... then toss my normal manifold back on when im ready to go home...

probably 5-6 lbs per turbo on small turbos will be perfect... 2 blow off valves to give some crazy ass sounds and a front mount intercooler... that monkeywrenchracing site has injectors for our cars... and a fuel pump... i would just suggest buying those for any turbo kit i build
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    well obvioulsy the injectors and a pump are a must. basics of engine management, which reminds me what are you gonna do about that??? and also did u consider sleeving cuz of the whole engine being aluminum???
  24. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    i dont know too much about sleeving so i would have to read into that... i dont really want to get into building anything that needs PERFECT mesurments because im not sure how perfect i can make it by hand.

the fuel managment i would get the 255lph pump and 550cc injectors off that site. thats all you reall need
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    no piggy back or reprogramming for the ECU cuz i believe the TRD S/C kit comes with a ECU Piggy back. before i get into that. i'm gonna get the pistons and rods and stuff off that site too cuz this is my only car and at the moment i cant afford to screw up big time. besides i think 8:1 pistons will help run more boost better too right????
  26. Offline

BizaRRo DereK Guest

Message Count:
    8:1 and 20lbs is like 10:1 6lbs... (not exactly) Lower compression means more boost but at higher compression you dont need to run as much boost to get the same effect.

The ECU piggy back isnt needed. That just lets you dump more fuel at the selected RPM when boost kicks in (the typical way of using it) and the only one worth getting is the Apexi SAFC. But again, its not needed if you run a new fuel pump and injectors... you wont notice too much of a difference... Plus ive seen with the SAFC that you can actully max out your injectors and the car wont accelerate. So you really need to know how to work the thing before you start messing with settings.
  27. Offline

R-ed Guest

Message Count:
    please dont get a twin or triple turbo. first off, the available space in the engine bay is limited. But if you can make it fit, that's real good. Secondly, you need to strengthen the entire engine. Stock internals wont support such high boost. Third of all, with twin or triple turbos, you would have ton of turbo lag. It'll take forever for the turbos to spool. If by chance you're able to fit twin turbos in the engine bay, please keep in mind that the size of turbo will be smaller than having just a single turbo.
    Sorry for the long post. Im not flaming you, im just giving you the facts. But if you get to fit twin turbos in your car, props to you!
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    i believe he already has a total amt that he is gonna rub but split that over how many ever turbo's he runs. i believe he is gonna run 10 PSI so that is 3.33 per turbo if he goes thre turbos
  29. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I always thought the purpose of 2 turbos was to have a very small one thatwont have barely any turbo lag, that will spool up fast and allow the second one to spool faster as well. Which also runs with little tubro lag now. But the first one would be say 3 - 5 psi, and the second one would run the fiunal boost you want. Say in this case the 10 psi. At that point the first one is really doing nothing but spinning freeley. Am I wrong in assuming thats the way it was??
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    well that is what i thought too. i thought that the smaller turbo spooled up quicker providing you power through the mid range and then the bigger turbo took over for the rest of the power band, but i could be wrong.