1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo Install Begins Now!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Turbo Install Begins Now!

Wanted to start a new thread since we're starting the install in a couple of minutes. Tonight we're just going to form a game plan of attack and figure out what questions to ask. I want to use this forum as a means of bringing the whole foum togather to solve problems with the TSI kit as I go. Also there is a welth of knoledge between us all so I figured if I was going to have this turbo done by Monday night I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Question?

Q) The eManage install document at http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/install/corolla/emanage-install-98-up-corolla.pdf is really awesome but it shows how to hook up the MAP sensor? My car doesn't have a MAP sensor, it has a MAF sensor? Is it the same wire and readings or do I need revised instructions? Trav?

Q) What is the torque spec for the bolts on the turbo header when I'm using ARP studs? I don't want my turbo manifold to fall off and I don't want to strip the studs.

Q) Should I use thread locker on the manifold bolts? I have Locktite blue? is that good enough?

Thanks.

Wish me luck guys!

First few pics
    Garage where the work shall be done, notice Vortex's instructions pinned on the back wall, THANKS TRAV!
    [IMG]
    This is the old girl before we even pop the hood to start screwing around
    [IMG]
    The first wave of turbo parts
    [IMG]
  2. Offline

7MGTTEConcept MK3 #2? maybe..

Message Count:
    ask trav about the emanage..as for the head bolts..I dunno what the torque specs are on them, but it's pretty hard to strip those threads on those bolts.
  3. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe yeah, thats my document.

use the same input/output scenario for the MAF as you would the MAP

as for the bolts... if ya got those ARPs from MWR, haha torque the shit outta em. :) (but not too much)
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    How many pounds is "but not too much"? :)
  5. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    well considering its damn near impossible to get anything other than the open end of a box wrench in there, just torque the shit outta it, but don't keep trying to torque it.... like tighten it up all the way with some torque on it, then put some pressure on that badboy with a couple of good grunt torques --- should be good enough. those ARP studs will hold --- your biggest worry isn't the studs and the nuts, its the head holding up, LOL.
  6. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Im not sure you have enough lights on standby for the install...hehe.

Nah, j/k.... hope everything goes smoothly for the install.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Gotcha ;) Thanks.
  8. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    how's it coming?/
  9. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    just got home, i'll try to get those maps... working 10hours today sucked
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Okay, so here is the word. So far the turbo install is going really poorly, The downpipe that is labeled for 99-02 corolla does not fit at all and the heat core inlet/outlet touches the turbo housing when it is installed so you cannot fit the hoses on them and the engine head has a lift point that blocks the turbo waste gate preventing the turbo from bolting up. So my installer friend being the die hard person that he is has ripped out my dashboard, ecu, harnesses, firewall coverings so he can remove the heater core and cut and relocate those inlet/outlet's to avoid the turbo and we're going to chop off the engine lift point because its pretty useless since we have a hook and bolts. And then the only thing that will be blocking me is the downpipe which I'm about to send mail to Turbokits.com right now about. Scary stuff but I'm too far to turn back now.
  11. Offline

7MGTTEConcept MK3 #2? maybe..

Message Count:
    damn dude...that blows...sorry to hear that your having a hard time with the install...hope everythng turns out ok real soon.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm sure with Jesse at TurboKits.com working with TSI we'll come to some quick resolutions. But its obvious that TSI has not installed this kit on a 2001 Corolla so they will have to correct the downpipe and a few fitment issues. I'll keep you all posted though. Tomorrow is a new day.
  13. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sorry to say it but that's typical TSI build quality.
  14. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Hope you didnt think this was going to be an easy install.....never seems to be on the rollas except with Travs install. Or maybe its the installer? :)
  15. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I guess that settles the question about fitment then. If you're already having trouble, I can tell you that it's only the beginning.

:(

-Doc
  16. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Time to pull that bicycle off that ceiling hook
  17. Offline

ctam1986 Chicken

Message Count:
    sorry to hear that man
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Well Jesse from TurboKits.com is going to call me back shortly and try to help me sort this out with TSI. It may just be an issue of mis-labeled downpipe and slight differences in the dashbored layout between 98-02 Corolla's. My installer already completely removed my dash so he can get at the heater core to alter the inlet and outlet to avoid the turbo and we have a solution for the 2nd problem with the anchor point on the head but the we need a replacement downpipe or we're dead in the water. I'll keep you all posted.

Dash torn out, man I never thought I would see my car this way. My installer is going to run all my eManage and guage wires with the factory harnesses
    [IMG]

Bare Dash, woah!(
    [IMG]

Picture of head with header removed
    [IMG]

Picture of turbo manifold resting in its place on the studs, noticed the coolant lines going though the firewall being right at the turbine, we're going to fix this today
    [IMG]
  19. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    modification of such things should *NOT* be necessary in a turbo "kit" -- that needs to be resolved by the vendor, *NOT* you.

hehe, i'd say were having fitment issues, however his installers gung-ho attitude to rip shit apart is a little much. i'm going to tell ya, we have a tight fitment on my ride, but it only takes 6-8 hours to install. wonder if turbokits wants to buy my design? lol the turbo should be a few inches more towards the passenger side. at least it clears PERFECT in mine.

[IMG]

There are *NO* I repeat *ABSOLUTELY NO* differences in the chassis between 98-02. They are EXACT replicas. The *ONLY* difference is the front bumper, headlights and wiring for fog lamps. I've compared both exactly side by side and confirmed this with my own eyes.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    I agree. But this is an experiement to help TSI and TurboKits.com resolve the issues with this kit so a little modification and playing around will be necessary.

My installer does not have a "gung ho attidtude to rip shit apart". He was finding solutions to problems and felt comfortable taking the dash apart. Plus he wanted to run all the eManage and boost controller harnesses with the factory wiring harnesses which I think is awesome. I think considering the situation he is doing a kick ass job. And he has worked for years in a speed shop installing turbos and engine upgrades and on top of that he does custom fiberglass work, painting and anything else you can think of car related. He is good at this kind of thing and I trust him. He is also the same guy that did my Porsche Xenon projector conversion and that turned out sweet as hell. And he built my custom fiberglass 7" touch screen dash trim and relocated my head unit. Sorry if I sound a little defensive but I've known the guy for years and have seen all his work and I've never seen him fail at anything.

That means this kit in its present state will not install on 98-02 Corollas because of the heater core issue & downpipe issue. Thanks for confirming this. Sound like TSI will have to modify there manifold to clear the heater core inlet or outlet. But for my installation because I dont have time for them to re-design and re-cast a manifold will probably result in the heater core inlet/outlet being re-tooled which I don't have a problem with to keep the install going. Today we're going to get the manifold mounted without the down pipe and run the IC piping to ensure proper fitment. I'll post more pictures later.
  21. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    What kind of company fabricates a product and then puts it on the market without first testing it out on car? Lets not forget what brough Jesse from turbokits to this board in the first place...his first post on this board:

"Turbokits.com is known for just overall low quality turbo kits"

And lets be reminded of what Trav said to the above statement:

"I have nothing against turbokits.com --- i'm simply stating that the turbo kits for *SPECIFICALLY* the Corolla are not the best route to take for turbocharging your Corolla. (at least the 98-02 models)

In the rumor mill but has not been proven:

1) they don't fit correctly "

To which he replied with" I am working on getting this stuff from previous customers. We have sold many of the 1ZZFE kits just this year and have not taken a return on 1 yet. I am following up with those customers to get some pics, DYNOs and overall info about the kit."

So WHAT AM I MISSING HERE??? Jerry, youre saying that youre test fitting this for them...is this the first kit that theyve produced for this application?
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yes, but modification of that magnatude is *NOT* necessary.

Wasn't bashing him. Just said he was enthusiastic. LOL :)

That is correct. You're working with a PERFECT template for 98-02 auto or manual, the placement is all the same across the board.

For the corolla perhaps. Remember the 1ZZ is used in a variety of cars, so their claim could have been accurate. The Matrix, Vibe, MR2, Celica, etc... I would like to see more info from these other 1ZZ's (at least to appease my curiousity) however, I'm not seeing that this is in the works. I will say this, if turbokits.com and TSI pull together and get all this sorted out to produce a kit with little modification - then all this is worth it. otherwise it'll just end up being another horror story of a turbo install. i hope the best for Jerry on this and you can bet, if turbokits.com or TSI doesnt follow through, I'll pull *something* together for him. :)

For the record. My rolla has 2... count that 2 modifications to install the turbo. That's expanding the hole under the passenger side fender for the IC piping to pass out of. The second is the tap in the oil pan for the drain line.
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    I agree that modification to this degree should not be necessary but without a new manifold we have no choice. They will still have to fix the manifold to make this kit compatible and I will provide them with all the information they need to fix the kit however so we can continue we gotta brave though it all :) Your kit does sound awesome that it only requires 2 modifications and I think that totally kicks ass and I hope that when I finish with TSI there kit only requires 1 modification (oil pan tap). Because we all need a good 98-02 turbo kit and this is our only hope for now until you can mass produce your own kit :) But I do like the way you kit looks in the picture above, very nice!
  24. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:

i agree -- mass production of my setup is kinda hard since i lack the resources for that unfortunately...
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    You should goto eMachineShop.com and build your KIT in there fab tool and see how much it would cost. Because then you could just ship orders to them and have them make the kits ;)
  26. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    good luck with the install dude, hopefully everything will go accordingly and remember slowly but surely
  27. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    The kit that turbokits sold you is for 2003 + corollas. It looks like they never tested their kit on the 1998 -2002 corollas, but good lock with the install and hope everthing can be solved for future kits.
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    Every single part in the kit they sold me has a sticker on it including the downpipe that says "98'-02' Corolla", It doesn't even list 2003 as being compatible :) But I tend to think you might be right that everything was mislabled and I actually have a 2003 kit. Do you have the TSI Extreme kit?
  29. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    No, I have a custom setup that I put toguether, I should say me and the welder that did the piping.
  30. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    ^^ seeing as none of the TSI parts fits anyways that would've been much less of an headache.