1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Turbo 1ZZ-FE, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Turbo 1ZZ-FE, is it really worth it?

Okay guys, I see a lot of talk about the few members of the board that have actually turbo'd there cars but I see very few dyno results or 1/4 mile runs. I'm thinking this means that Turbo Corolla's really aren't that much faster then when they were N/A. I need to know this as fact because I really only want to turbo my Corolla if the difference is insane. If I turbo my 1ZZ-FE VVT-I in my 2001 Corolla what would the 1/4mile be approx compared to a N/A 1ZZ-FE? What is the wheel horse power difference? Is it really worth it? Does the car pull really hard when it hits boost like say and Audi S4 or something like that? The reason I ask is because I don't want to waste a bunch of money and resource just so I can say that I'm one of the few boosted rolla's. I want to do it because it will make my car take a dump on IS300's, Mustangs, WRX's, etc.

Fire away :)
  2. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    lets just say... travis keeps up with andy (andys on a YZF600r)
  3. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    ummm dood IT'S MORE THAN WORTH IT! shit and mostly with a vvt-i dood. Vortex gave a whole new meaning to my Corolla last weekend lol 12 psi on stock internals and it pulls harder than a mofo. I think it's well worth it. About times I dk it all depends on the mods u'll have and the altitude
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Now that is impressive if Andy is really getting on it :)
  5. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    and how... ok well to tell you the truth we've never actually tested it but andy runs 11's and t said he ran 11.5 or something in his old car...
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm at damn near sea level and have a Fidanza 8lb flywheel, ACT Racing Clutch and Organic Street Disc, H&R Springs, Front and Back tie bars. Now if I could just figure out exactly what I need to turbo my car. Has anyone put togather a parts manafest yet of what is required. Because I want to buy all the stuff and just install it in a day. And does anyone share there turned fuel maps and stuff so that I can avoid having to take it in and get it turned because in my area that is easier said then done.
  7. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    oh man that car is more than what u eventually think bro and the funny thing is that it has the 1.8 motor and not the 2.0 :D
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    WOAH! He runs 11.5's in a Turbo 1ZZ-FE? Are you sure thats right. Thats faster then a 1998 Dodge Viper GTS with 450WHP and 450TQ with giant meats in the back. That just doesn't sound right. I would have to see slips.
  9. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    bring that shit up to colorado... travis can figure it out... in a weekend... and start building it... then you'll come back and we'll put it on...

(but you can't do it before me... mines the tester VVT-i
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm in Washington, thats a hell of a drive :) The only thing that really need to manufactured is the down pipe and manifold right? After that its just bending pipes around and wiring shit up right? I could probably do all that with a little help from my local pipe bending facility :) I also have access to a Mig Welder so I'm betting I could make a turbo manifold myself if I just had a mach up engine outside of my car to do it on. Arg. I wish I could just buy a damn kit :) I would spend $3000 on a kit in a heart beat if I could go that route.
  11. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    well u'll run more power since ur in sea level or close to it, and the power/weight ratio on our cars kick ass. My car is like 2350 with me in it lol
  12. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    11 second 1/4 mile? stop fucking with me
  13. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I think you're going a bit overboard there buddy.... I think his car is in the low 13's maybe even high 12's....
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    The only way I would beleive a Corolla could pull in the 11's would be if it had > 350hp and a LSD.
  15. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    and way custom axle and other custom shit actually considering the amount of power the wheels are pushing too
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    I've got some money comming this month. I think I might try the TSI Extreme kit from www.turbokits.com, They seem to be reputable and they even have pictures of the kit installed on an 03 Corolla. I want something that is all ready to just bolt on and go and this looks like the way to do it. I don't have time to track down a billion parts and try to put it togather and then take the car in to be adjusted and tuned. I just want to bolt it on and be done with it :) We'll see if I still feel this way in a few weeks when I get my cash :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

Must not suck that bad, they won an award :)
  17. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    dood they could've borrowed that trophy from someone for all u know...... kits from turbokits.com are just no good and hookeduprolla96 can vouch.... nothing fitted and they didn't send what they said they would. Vortex can make u one bolt on in no time considering our motors are practically the same.

told u so
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    They could have borrowed the trophy but I doubt it. I've looked all over the web and tons of reputible dealers re-sell the TSI Extreme kits. Maybe hookeduprolla96 just got a botched kit? I hear where you are comming from but how do I know a kit from Vortex is going to be any better? Also how long would it take for him to build a complete kit. The TSI Extreme kits are ready to ship. The only thing that concerns me about the TSI kit which I have a question out on is weather or not there down pipe will line up with my exhaust on my 2001 since there install was on a 2003. Other then that everything else should just fit. I mean in the picture above it looks like it fits just fine. Also if they were selling bad broken kits that do not work then why don't I see rants all over the place about them? They seem to have been on the internet for ever selling zillions of kits. I don't know what to think anymore. Every time I get on this forum someone is building kits and they are almost done and then they disappear and you never heard from them again. I mean what about stafford fab? They came along and a bunch of people bought there shit and they lagged and then took off leaving a bunch of people in the shit. Atleast this TSI place has a physical address and a phone # and a web address that have been around for years. if they dont send what they promise I'll sue there company into the ground. Anyways boy I didn't know its this late and I'm tired and slightly annoyed :) I'll read responses in the morn. Thanks guys I appriciate the input but realize I'm just frusterated because money isn't the problem that is stopping from turboing, its just all the confusion.
  19. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    well I can vouch for the work Vortex does but just a suggestion u know but it's up to you on the last move. Turbokits.com is known for just overall low quality turbo kits
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Okay so again, how long would it take for Vortex to build a complete kit for the 2001 Corolla and how much money would he want for it. With a T25BB turbo and a air/fuel management system pre-tuned for the 01'. I want to get a kit, bolt on a kit, and goto the track :)
  21. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    umm well time wise talk to him lol but I bet it wouldn't take him long. Ask him dood he might save u a headache or maybe not, u don't loose anything with asking but grow wiser :D
  22. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    i wouldnt get those kits

all the people who've had them, say they didnt fit and ended up getting a buncha custom parts anyway

i heard of one guy selling his corolla, cuz of issues with that kit
  23. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    even wit a bolt on kit its going to be a bit more diffacult that bolt and go... you have to still tune it properly for your engine, where you live, the type of day it is, stuff like that... I mean yeah you can do it your self, but it takes more than just the trip to the track... that and their realy is no ECU company that pre loads corolla fule maps in to their ECUs, I mean hell unichip says that you have to tune theirs at a dyno no mater what vehical its on (don't do Unichip with VVT-i, no good can come of this)

oh and I think I did go alittle overboard with my timeings... I had just gotten off work and was slightly hyper lastnight... lets say 13's... sorry to get your hopes up...
  24. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    I have never heard a good thing about the TSI kits. Why not give the Doc's kit a try? It should be ready in a few months, I think..
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    I would give Doc's kit a try but I have to wait a few months and there is no guaranty he will complete it. And since like 20 people are going to dog pile on him for the kit when its ready it will probably take years to get mine and I'm not going to wait that long. It looks like my only options really is to do what everyone else is doing and just custom build the turbo. Its a pain in the ass but if I can buy a $500 engine off ebay or something I can put it on a engine stand in my garage and custom fit a turbo to it.
  26. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    Look at how many people 'dogpiled' him for the rear disc conversion...none..

Think about how long it will take to custom build your own turbo, then see how long it should take for the Doc to make one - I'm thinking it'll be about the same time - except he's turbocharged a few cars before. ;)
  27. Offline

BangRolla New Member

Message Count:
    i just want to add, with any kind of project to your car, you should plan it out
    if you just go right in and do things quick, problems might occur and that itself might even take longer than docs or vortex's kits.

if you're gonna do something, take the time to do it right.
  28. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    The best way is going custom, you learn a lot and you get it done the way you want.
    But remember that the Corolla is not a race car so don't expect to get the performance of a race car, it is going to run a lot faster and is going to feel great, I have mine turbo and it runs like 14sec 1/4 mile.
  29. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    Ok, just on my end, let me set the record, straight...DR has some numbers mixed up. ...at sea level a 180 hp 2004 R1 depending on the rider, will run between a 10.4 and a 10.8. My bike is running about 88 hp less. At this altitude, I would estimate that I pull somewhere around a 12.6-12.8. I made the guess that with his power to weight ratio, and knowing his driving skills, I made a guess that Travis would probably take me off the line, hold me off through abuot 3/4's of first gear...I'd pick up into second...and pull 2-2.5 car lengths ahead of him and that's about where we'd sit, until one of us hit the limiter. Which I would probably have to guess Travis would hit it first...I'm not sure. My 600R tops out at 13k rpm in 6th gear at 163 mph.

Again, keep in mind these are all estimates and assumptions based upon the hp ratings and runs I've had against cars.
  30. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    thank you andy... and I'm sorry for my idotness...