1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine trd supercharger questions

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by kepone, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Offline

kepone Guest

Message Count:
    trd supercharger questions

what exactly is the issue when putting the trd supercharger on a 01-02 model corolla? i understand there is some kind of fitment issue, can someone run me down all the problems that will come up if i tried this?

ecu stuff i can handle, but are there physical fitment issues?
  2. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    Radiator and hood clearance is an issue.
  3. Offline

kepone Guest

Message Count:
    can you elaborate a little? how much more clearance is needed for the hood? could it be solved by getting a different hood? or is it more severe than im thinking?

and whats the deal with the radiator? how far does the s/c stick out from the engine block? im assuming that the TRD kit is a roots style blower, which means it would completely replace the intake manifold which is already pretty big..

anyone have first hand experience with the s/c?
  4. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    yeah I want to know too. I would rather go S/C then turbo cause its basically a bolt on.
  5. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    how much clearance exactly?...who knows until u try it...but yes the s/c is roots style and replaces the whole thing...the radiator would prolly have to be eliminated up top or one smaller in height or custom made would have to work, also the hood would have to be custom made to dip below the s/c clearance area...would have to make a ram air hood scoop, prolly mustang style but obvioulsy further down on the hood due to the position of the manifold

would it be worth it? IMO yes, if u have the money and time and know what u r doing then go for it cuz I dont think it has been done...it's been tried to fit and there was issues w/ clearance in more than 1 way and that's all I know.
  6. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    Im not sure about the issues. Check my car domain for some pics of it mounted. Its actually shorter than the intake manifold (from the block towards the radiator) but taller at the same time.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
  8. Offline

jiggaman725 the black guy

Message Count:
    if anybody has any info on this please post it 'cause i'm sure there are plenty of us w/98-02 who wanna s/c....i know i do
  9. Offline

Message Count:
  10. Offline

93corolladx Guest

Message Count:
    who needs radiators?

anyway my friend has a celica gt and he was told you need ecu modification also
  11. Offline

Message Count:
  12. Offline

kaosfm Guest

Message Count:
    He's not gonna lie to you about the part. If you get another part it will void your warranty. He's probably refering to the new pulley/belt needed.
  13. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    QUESTION ABOUT 04 SUPERCHARGERS... WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED TO put a supercharger on my rolla cause the salesman at toyota said that their's this other part i need that they only sell at toyota. i told him he was full of shit.. but was he?? cause i want to s/c my car but was wondering if i should go with toyota or some mom and pop shop so its cheaper. also how much hp does it bring u to when u already have headers, exhaust, and intake. thanx
  14. Offline

nriesen Guest

Message Count:
    i sell toyotas. I take delivery of my 05 white "s" tomorrow. I am looking into the trd s/c also.
    I just received a ballpark quote of 3500 installed with parts included. There is an installation kit for late model rollas, but parts couldnt tell what was in it. Its kinda weird how parts and service work together....well, they really dont i guess because neither departments truely know what the hell they are talking about.
    Anyway...i believe the special part may also include a new, or updated ECU.
    I will try to learn more tomorrow.
  15. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    thanks.. try to update ur post if you can nriesen, yeah thats about the same quote i got, but hey if it includes a warranty, it wouldnt be a bad idea to such get it all done through toyota, so if the engine blows i can go get another one,even thou that would like never happen since i have an auto. lol. but then i would need a b.o.v., hey does anyone know how much HP these s/c's pull for 04' corolla's with cai, headers, and exhaust??
  16. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    kaosfm, are you joking??? your saying dealers dont lie about parts??? lol, and the lakers are better without shaq. lol, if you believe that......
  17. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    Well - you can't have a CAI with the supercharger - I think. This is what I've heard. I do know for a fact the supercharger changes the location of the throttle body, so any CAI, unless specifically designed for the supercharged 1ZZ, will not fit after s/c installation. Not to mention that TRD specifically warns against using any aftermarket intakes b/c it will mess up the air/fuel calibration. The 1ZZ is pretty sensitive to the mixture as is - I can only imagine that the s/c'er kind of amplifies that a little.

Late,
    Trav
  18. Offline

Killercocopuff New Member

Message Count:
    yeah i heard from someone i think it was rolla dink not sure but he says the CAI really makes the car run lean
  19. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    i asked him and he said that the injen intakes are compatible with the trd supercharger, but he said i should take it off whenever i want to get my warranty maintained.... but i dunno, cause a trd intake will cost only like 250... im not sure if its worth the chance... anyways has anyone heard how much HP the supercharger wil bring to my baby???
  20. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
  21. Offline

Message Count:
  22. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    Wow, there's alot of bad info floating around on this thread. First of all A cold air intake WILL fit with the blower. The AEM wont fit because of the angles but the TRD and Injen will. Im running the AEM short ram so that obviously fits also. The reason that Toyota tells you not to run the CAI is to cover their own ass. Basically you run a greater chance of detonation unless you use 93 octane or have a cooling system like water injection. Second, it makes your exhaust gases hotter which will slowly burn out your first catylitic converter which Toyota would have to replace on every supercharged car eventually... get my point?

As for a supercharger with I/H/E you will probably be close to 200hp (at the flywheel)
  23. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    how much would it cost to replace those parts that you named polo... do u think it would be worth it using the injen even with those problems or should i just sell my injen and getting the trd exhaust... oh yeah thanks rollaryder and polo for finally answering my question about the HP upgrade. i wonder if 60HP is even worth 3,000 dollars... hmmmm, food for thought. that could be money towards a down payment towards my dream car...G35...... SPOOGE!!
  24. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    replace what parts? water injection is $300-$600. Also 60hp is a huge number for a car that weighs like 2500lbs.
  25. Offline

Message Count:
  26. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    yeah.. i got an estimate at a place that they would sell me eveyrthing i need to supercharge my corolla with TRD for $ 1,700.00, but now i want to have toyota install it so taht way i can have it warrantied. does anyone know approx. how much it would cost to have a toyota dealer install it?? i would install it myself, but my dad would kill me if i fucked up my engine.
  27. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    he said he can give me a TRD B.O.V. but it doesnt sound all that tight..he said i should ask some people on my forums to see if they know any B.O.V.'s that arae made for my car that would make my car sound nice. so thats what im gonna do. thanks
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    I was quoted 400 hundred for the install
  29. Offline

lilbeastie18 Guest

Message Count:
    what dealership, casue i live in pomona, was wondering if its anywhere close to where you went so maybe i can go there and ask them some questions... did u ask them how much they are charging you for superchargers?? if so how much did that dealer quote you for? cause there was this guy that posted his trd prices and hes from NY, which is kinda far from me, but his price was 1,700/
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    well the dealership i got quioted for was toyota of orange and carson toyota . They wanted 2,500 for the s/c and install kit. then 400 for install. But i David has a couple s/cs for 2000 Some dealersghip in NY is selling them for 1700 and chris from MO.com can get them for about 2,000