1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

TRD Radiator Cap---is it worth getting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tom, May 31, 2004.

1. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    TRD Radiator Cap---is it worth getting?

I don't see any topic on this when I did a search so here goes.

What exactly does the TRD raidator cap do? What does "higher pressure equates to a higher boiling point for the coolant" mean? Aren't you trying to reduce the boling point so the car runs cooler? Or does the higher boiling point simply mean that a higher boiling point allow coolant to flow more frequently?

I already have the TRD thermostat installed. I don't need a TRD radiator cap do I?
  2. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    ...also, what is the highest pressure radiator cap our stock radiator can handle?
  3. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    read your rad. cap. its on there. i for got what it does so i'll look it up tonite.
  4. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    ok here you go, the high pressure radiator cap increase the boiling point of the antifreeze which should reduce overall temperture of the block
  5. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    If its so damn good, why doesn't everyone have them?
  6. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    They can put a science to everything if they want, but I think the radiator cap is more for looks then anything else. Its not a must have thats for sure.
  7. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I guess so. The specs on the different radiator caps looked pretty good about keeping the engine cooler. But if the stock radiator cap is already the best cap, I have no worries then. Maybe it is another money making gimmick by TRD. Thanks for the help. I will not get the cap.
  8. Offline

profp Guest

Message Count:
    Increasing the boiling point doesn't decrease temperature... it just prevents boiling in hot spots. Wherever fluid is boiling, it can't contact the metal surfaces completely and carry the heat away so boiling is not a good thing. Our engines are regulated by thermostat and ECU management to maintain a coolant temp @ 190-195 F for emission purposes. (Engines really run better when cooler but that's not an option).

If you use pure water in your radiator, that's 212 degrees F STP. If you use an additive (e.g. antifreeze), the boiling point is significantly higher. A standard radiator cap will increase thatfurther by holding 5-15 pounds pressure. That pressure flexes the rubber components an acceptable amount. Higher design pressures (e.g. Land Rovers) result in frequent rubber fatigue... to the point that their hoses typically fail after 60,000 miles. At $400 for a set of hoses, it helps keep Land Rover in business.

Bottom line, expect different radiator caps to change appearance and nothing else useful.
  9. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    You're missing out on the beautiful, red-colored TRD logo and text.
  10. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    If i see it on ebay for dirt cheap, I will consider it (just so that it looks good in the engine compartment). Otherwise, according to what people is saying, there is no need for one.
  11. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    the one on ebay are fake. even the oil cap they claim to be from TRD. well look closely at the fake trd rad. and fake oil cap and you'll notice that on the rad cap there is no japanese writing or anything that say its a toyota product beside the use of "TRD"
    on the oil cap i've seen on ebay that they claim to "JDM" is that it does not say "Toyota Motor Sport" all it say is "TRD Racing Development". On my oil cap from the dealer its say "Toyota Motor Sport" then "TRD" then "Racing Development". so buy fake TRD stuff from ebay and putting it on a cruical part of your car is dangerous. i rather pay twice the amount to get the real TRD instead of paying ten times the amount to get it fix.
  12. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I didn't realize that. Are they made of cheaper material? What about the oil cap they sell on ebay? I think they should be safe right? Even if they are fake, all they do is keep the dirt from entering the heads.
  13. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    the TRD radiator cap probably only raises the pressure a pound or two so its really just to make the engine bay pretty and to get tons of money from ppl who have no idea about what they're buying :roll:
  14. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    yes most fake caps are made of cheaper material. the ones on ebay DO NOT state the pressure it could take. it could be less than the factory one. also the offical cap should have "ND" and 1.3"kg" engrave on both "ears". i've double check on the japanese TRD side. it just say TRD, then some japanese writing and bunch of caution tags and the "ND" and "1.3kg" engrave. the oil cap should be ok but i would check the quailty before i put it on. if you see crappy welding which i dont thing there should be any welding or not sure about the quailty i wouldnt put it on. i think on the offical oil cap, its cast aluminum. or steel, its pretty heavy. how much are the oil cap on ebay? i got my from the dealer for 30 bucks.

theres only one on ebay that is the offical trd rad cap but it'll pop up once in awhile. you'll know it because the the person who took the photo didnt put flash on. but the box is going to say Racing Deveolpment TRD then a bunch of japanese writing. and on the back it should list a bunch of vehicle. both of these are real

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480211035&category=33602

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480853743&category=33602
  15. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I don't know if the oil cap is official or not. I purchased it off ebay already. I happened to miss it when mailman came, but I will definitely pick it up tomorrow morning. I will let you know how everything goes with that. THere is no Japanese words on it and just has a plain Racing Development logo in the middle and TRD underneath that. The cap is aluminum. It looks good though. I will also let you know the weight and what kind of packaging it came with. Proexhaust claim that it is in original packaging so it is brand new. It could be TRD packaging, but I will check tomorrow first thing. The descritption says Japan JDM style all aluminum engine oil cap.

I got the TRD oil cap from Proexhaust on ebay. I paid $8.00 for it + shipping which brought it up to $18.95.
  16. Offline

Schoat333 New Member

Message Count:
    yea our engine already run pretty cool from the factory for emission reasons... the thermostat is only a 170 degree... which means it opens at that temp which is lower than most cars... alot of cars have 192 or 195 degree thermostats. i dont think a cap would be for anything more than looks.
  17. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I finally picked up my TRD oil cap. It is definitely Japanese because it has their language all over the plastic packaging, which is packaged inside a small white TRD Japan box. It is all aluminum and definitely more heavier than the stock plastic. Very smooth and polished look and fits perfectly as the seals make contact giving it a snug fit. The "chrome" look definitley makes the engine bay look way better.

I also ordered a new TRD strut bar from Conicelli Parts Center for $120 plus $10 shipping and handling. The bad thing is that it has to come all the way from Pensylvania. But, they are a Toyota dealer and reliable so I have no worries having to come all that way. Beside, I also got a new torque wrench coming from Boston!! THat's the best price I could find for the strut bar, as far as TRD goes. I would say overall, it's a good investment at a decent price.
  18. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    hmm i dont think its going to say Japanese JDM if its imported from companies like TRD or Mugen or NISMO. of cousre its going to be from japan. if it say that, then you know its going to be made in the US.

the oil cap isnt going to have any japanese word. on my box top right it say in script "Racing Development TRD" beneath it "Sporty Driving Parts" on below the clear window it says "Racing Development TRD" again then typical japanese english spelling "OIL FILLAR CAP." mine came the standard TRD color box, red on top which fade into carbon fiber on bottom. One side shows all the warning and caution in japanese, back sides shows what vehicle it'll fit on but Toyota here in the states place a huge sticker over it, other side shows part number "12180-SP000" price "9,800 yen" and description.

heres a pixs of my oil cap http://www.geocities.com/aznboy2050/newcar.html
  19. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    man, I can't believe people would rip off TRD products and use them as their own to make some cheap knock off. When I saw the cheap cap, it had a nice design with the TRD logo on it. It looks just like your except it doesn't have the Toyota Motor Sports on top. Is yours hot to the touch after driving? Mine was sizzling hot and had to use a rag to open the TRD oil cap.

Even if I did get ripped off, I didn't pay that much for it. THanks for that info though. Now I know what to look for next time. I'll have to get a new one, again, soon.
  20. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:

Don't do that.........You're very lucky you didn't get burned. I knew a kid who took his cap off of his radiator while hot and hot coolant shot out all over him.
  21. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    will oil spill out like that too, when it is hot? I know the radiator does that because it is under pressure. I wonder if it's the same way with the oil cap.

I didn't get a chance to open it all the way because it was on way too tight. Even though I tried using a rag on the TRD Oil Cap, it was still tight. THat aluminum cap sure absorbs a lot of heat, whew...I guess if our aluminum enigne can handle the heat, so can the aluminum cap, huh? I was afraid it may warp in time, (the oil cap).
  22. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    no oil won't spill out.
  23. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    the only way oil might come out is if u open the oil filler cap while the engine is running, and then u might get a little splattered on u, thats it
  24. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I still can't believe Toyota charge around $30 for a TRD oil cap and $50 for a radiator cap. $80 total just to by TRD caps?! I finally got the oil cap off by applying a pipe wrench and twisting it. I guess when the cap got hot, it made the seal from the cap expand to the valve cover. Whew, my fingers are sore now. Now, I just tighten it to the point where it is just snug. Great looking cap though.
  25. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    It will not make your car faster ,why waste money.
  26. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    my intention wasn't to make the car go faster, but to let the car run cooler because the cap raises the boling point allowing the radiator fluid to flow sooner. I like to keep everything cool especially when the supercharger is in place.

I read up on the aqua mist water injection and it is something to consider. I guess there is this bottle of 50/50 water and alcohol mixture that is injected into the intake cooling it down. Is it a manual injection or is it controlled by throttle or boost from the supercharger?
  27. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    "A'll Show No Go" :!: :!:
  28. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    If you open up my hood, all you see is TRD everywhere. It's getting crazy in there. :lol:
  29. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Also you can change your theromostat to a low temp.
  30. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    work out and you won't have to use a wrench to get a oil cap off, but then again why waste your time to put one on.I waste so many engines a cap is the last thing I worry abou.t But if you don't really race I guess your car will look pretty, 8)