1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine TRD or Borla

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by lil_krolla_s, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
    TRD or Borla

which exhaust would you guys recommend? i've heard good things about both. the only thing i'm worried about with TRD is the scraping. it seems that a lot of people on the forum have sold theirs because of the scraping. and doesn't Borla make the TRD exhaust? Borla is a lot cheaper for basically the same product. and how does Borla sound? i'm lookin more for sound than performance. performance would just be a plus. also, i'm ridin on Hotchkis springs. thanx in advance.
  2. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    If you want just sound buy a borla muffler and tip and have a shop install it you can save a lot of money that way and still get a nice sound out of it. Total installed would be 200.
  3. Offline

partyanimal2k3 Guest

Message Count:
    Hey i got the borla exhaust on my car and the hotchkis springs..the borla has a nice deep sound to it, but its not loud at all. Thats why i chose the borla..I paid like $200 something for it and to get it installed was only $31 bucks...if u wanna check it out on my car go to www.members.cardomain.com/bigsexy2k4 hope this gives ya some help..
  4. Offline

partyanimal2k3 Guest

Message Count:
  5. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
    sweet. thanx guys. yeah right now i'm leaning more towards the borla exhaust just because it's a lot cheaper than TRD. where did u guys get your borla exhaust? 200 sounds like a good price for me. do u guys get any performance gains?
  6. Offline

partyanimal2k3 Guest

Message Count:
    I'm going nuts trying to remember where i got my borla!! I think i paid $279 not including s&h to be more accurate..I checked a ton of websites and it seems like you'll have to pay a lil over 3 bills..but you can definetly feel a performance gain outta the borla..its 100% worth the $$...
  7. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    future TRD whore check in here. TRD all the way!!! 8)
  8. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
    yeah..the cheapest i can find the borla exhaust right now is about mid 300 (i forget the exact price). for some reason i'm not counting TRD out yet. anyone else with opinons?
  9. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    after having my TRD for over a year, it still sounds great. One downfall is the tip dragging on steep incline / declines. However, my new Koni struts have seemed to reduce it greatly. Then again, maybe I scrapped off enough of the tip... :(
  10. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    lol, i scrapped my trd muffler after i got it installed on the same day
    and i didnt expect the ground clearance of it is so little
  11. Offline

Altis 1 Guest

Message Count:
    As the first person on this board to get the Borla Muffler, I will tell you this. It was worth the amount that I paid for it. When I say that I mean that for the price that it is being sold now is stupid. I bought mine last August and I paid under $250 (shiping included) for it. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and it sound the same as the TRD model, if not better.

Anyone who wants to get it is better off going to a Muffler shop that sell Borla products and get a custom one.

Here is a link of the Muffler that is similar to mine Part No. 40357

http://borla.com/proxs/pages/muflroff_ctr.php?cartID=20040611070905205.188.116.12

And the Tip that matches mine.
    [IMG]
  12. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
    yeah...that's the only reason i'm kinda iffy about gettin TRD. Would I scrape just as much as TRD if I got Borla?[/quote]
  13. Offline

Altis 1 Guest

Message Count:
    [/quote]

The lowest part of my tip is 9.25". Unless You live in a very hilly area, you won't scrape.
  14. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    i only wish we had a shop down here that could mandrel bend pipes for a custom exhaust setup :x
  15. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
    yeah, right now that's another option for me. a bunch of my friends got a custom exhaust setup for cheap. and if i can't find borla or trd at a cheaper price that's probably what i'm gonna end up doing.[/quote]
  16. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    you gonna get mandrel or crush bent?
  17. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    If I had the choice to do it again, I would go with the Borla. Of course I got my TRD muffler in the deal with the car during negotiations.
  18. Offline

Drummer426 Guest

Message Count:
    Most muffler places can custom do them for a really decent price. Talk to your friends if they trust the people they went to because some can do some some shotty work too. For $140 i got a magaflow muffler, installation, resonator removed, extended pipe for tip, awesome tip, all done within an hour or so. It's a great place and i refer all my friends to them. It's in HB area so i know that's a little bit of a drive from the Magic Mountain area. But look around there are a lot more muffler places then you think. Even though i'm a magnaflow kind of guy....i'd pick the borla over TRD personally :D good luck!!

Anthony
  19. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
  20. Offline

lil_krolla_s Guest

Message Count:
    oops...sorry i mixed up the quote and my response. :lol: 8)