1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine TRD Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by capntoo, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    I'm not too worried about noise. I work for the state police and besides I have NEVER heard any Corolla that is as loud as any "Harvey Donaldson" motorcycle! :p
  2. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    with trd, you're paying for name, i'd go magnaflow catback =D
  3. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    I've heard the TRD exhaust for the 03/04 -- which incidentally is an axle-back but listed as a cat-back in their catalog -- is built by Borla, so take that for what it's worth.

None of the shops around here stock Borla, and the best price I've found online for a Borla is about $350 plus shipping, which comes to almost $400. Considering I can get a TRD exhaust for $425 shipped, I'm leaning towards just getting the TRD, which is CARB-approved and 95db-legal. I can also avoid warranty issues too with the TRD.
  4. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    Oh, and what everyone else said. Magnaflow makes a full cat-back system for the 03/04.
  5. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    TRD Exhaust Question

I'm thinking about replacing the muffler on my 04 Rolla. Is there a logical explaination why you can buy all brands of sport mufflers on eBay for $30-$80, chrome headers for $150, Cat converters for $50........and then the TRD muffler for $450.00?

Is there that much difference, or are we paying $400 for the TRD logo? Not complaining, just wondering what the dif is??
  6. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    it's because it's TRD, and a rather good brand(i think GReddy...not sure.) IMO it's the best exhaust for the car, especially if you're going NA.

1000th post
  7. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks. Just seemed excessively high priced compared to the other brands. I have a Sport 1 muffler on the car now, but it's louder than I wanted and the shop that installed it did a hack job. (welded a support to the top of a stainless muffler, and rather than using an adapter to match up the pipe, just filled in the gap with a bead of weld) Needless to say, if I get a new muffler, they won't be installing it! ;)
  8. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    You might want to consider the borla exhaust. Others have said it give a deep sound without beening to loud. A few people on 2003corolla.org have it. Ask around for their opinion
  9. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    I heard that magnaflow makes a cat back exhaust for the 03-04 corolla for about 350. Thats not bad, especially that the TRD is just the muffler. I really want the TRD too, but I dont think it gives the HP that you are paying for. Now as for sound, the TRD has the best hands down.
  10. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    TRD also claims their muffler is 100% street legal
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    it is...it's a dealer option. if you carry the catalog in your car and you get pulled over, then you have proof that it's legal.

on top of that, if for some reason you get a ticket, it WILL be dropped in court.
  12. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    Yea, just ask Vamp about what happend with him.
  13. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:

I have the catalog right here, it's actually labeled under the sport muffler section of the catalog. There is a separate section for cat backs.
  14. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks ya'll....think I've decided on the TRD. It's only $25.00 more than the others and the warranty issue is worth 25 bucks. I guess the TRD logo is worth the $25 also. You all know how it is........nuttin but da best for mah baby!! ;)
  15. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    I dunno man, on the hitghway yesterday I was right next to a Harley with my windows down. I could still hear mine over his. I get people that yell at me that its too loud. This is with no discs of course and its just a 2.25'' resinator with it flowing straight through lol.
  16. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    LOL...Ya I guess you might get some complaints from some "establishment types" who have no appreciation for the sound of a Rolla! To me, a 4 cyl Rolla has a sweeter sound than a 2 cyl Harley....any day! As they say....Joke em if they can't take a fuck!
  17. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    You will love it mine has been on my 01 rolla for little over a week.IT....IS SWEAT :D :D :D :D
  18. Offline

Svvti Guest

Message Count:
    Hi yall, I was wondering why nobody try to use masterflow and plus a tip?? the price is cool and sounds not bad isnt it? thank you for answering :D
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    people HAVE tried the magnaflow with a tip. psychochild has it now, vamp's doing it after the turbo install.
  20. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    My mistake. I was thinking of this site, which I mixed up with the catalog.
  21. Offline

moedank Guest

Message Count:
    capntoo,

i have the trd exhaust on my 02 rolla...and the sound of my harley rips it to shreds. ive gotten so many compliments on the way my bike sounds. this one dude that has this badass transam with nos even gave me props. most ppl hear it good because im ahead of em anyway. =P
  22. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    LOL...you should get the right mirror replacement sticker "Caution, objects that appear in this mirror are losing"
  23. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
  24. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    Well, it turns out racingsolution.com carries the Borla 03/04 Corolla exhaust for $320 + $16 shipping. That's the best price I could find. It comes to $336 plus tax, which would bring it up to around $350. It's seventy dollars less than the TRD, but then again there's that whole warranty issue.
  25. Offline

moedank Guest

Message Count:
    i bought mine from vpower...........im not trying to hate or anything, but it took them over a month to get it to me. they said my order got shipped somewhere else...

but they did do a 2day UPS on their behalf after everything was figured out. for that, i give them a thumbs up.
  26. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    The TRD catback exhaust was installed today. I can't get used to how quiet my Rolla is now! :) I know it's probably my imagination, but it seems to have more pep now. I do like the sound when you get on it, but it's just so quiet compared to the fart can I had on there before. Anyway, thanks to all of you for your input & suggestions. This is a great forum and great people!