1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine TRD cat-back tip

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by GT-R, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Offline

GT-R Guest

Message Count:
    TRD cat-back tip

Ok, I like the TRD catback alot, but for lots of people it seems that the tip hangs a little too low. There's a couple people that have sold theirs because of this reason. How bad would it be to cut off the existing tip of the TRD and replace with another one? Other than the fact that it will no longer say TRD on it.
  2. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Re: TRD cat-back tip

its an axle-back by the way...the tip does hang low...when fully loaded it scrapes..but i dont think anything would happen if u cut off the tip and replace it with another...but why do it? you pay so muhc for the TRD muffler and u cut it off? i suggest u get another muffler if u think its a problem for u.....like AESC did
  3. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I've only scraped it like twice and that's it (on really steep driveways from my friend's house. I just park on the street now when I see him). It doesn't bother me at all. You can cut the plastic on the rear lip to accomodate a new tip or muffler if you like.
  4. Offline

GT-R Guest

Message Count:
    Well, I like the TRD axle-back. It hangs low on a S then it wud probly look a bit awkward for my bare CE. Is it expensive to cut off the tip and weld on a new one? Or does this decrease the performance or sound noticeably? Other than taking off the TRD badge what are any other cons in doing this or would the system change in any area other than the appearance? I guess replacing the tip probably isn't the smartest thing to do. But if I get the TRD axle-back and then scrape it alot or if I get it and it doesn't look right then instead of selling the TRD for another muffler, I want to know if can just change the tip without anything going bad. I'm not saying that I'm going to be doing this, but I just want to explore some options, thats all.
    Also, tom is your car lowered?
  5. Offline

GT-R Guest

Message Count:
    Actually by looking at it I noticed that I'm going to have to cut out the little pipe that connects the tip to the cansiter. So basically I can just cut off the TRD tip and rejoin it with a new pipe to the cansiter. So basically 2 weld spots. How does welding affect the performance, sound or reliablity of the muffler? And how much does welding this kind of stuff usually run?
  6. Offline

nickgyro Guest

Message Count:
    body kit

I have the trd exhaust and I know what you are talking about. I am planing to change the back body kit and get one the covers the whole back that way you dont see the muffler hanging... dont cut the muffler that a TRD man........
  7. Offline

CorollaX Guest

Message Count:
    if u dont like the TRD muffler tip, just change it, it wont mess up anything so dont worry,
  8. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    if you don't like the TRD tip, just buy a different brand. I personally have had the TRD muffler for over a year now and have only scraped it once, this is riding w/ both tein and hotchkis. The only reason i scraped it was because i backed into a curb, so it was out of ignorance not the muffler.

Also me and AESC compared our mufflers once, and for some reason his hung about a 1/2 inch lower than mine does.
  9. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Cutting the tip off of the TRD muffler should not affect sound and performance. I mean it's only a tip, nothing to do with the performance at all. The only thing the tip does is to make the car look good on the outside. The muffler itself is doing all the work as it has less chambers for exhaust to go through (provide freer flowing exhaust) than stock mufflers. That's why stock mufflers are so quiet.
  10. Offline

GT-R Guest

Message Count:
    How about where the welding spots are?
  11. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I don't think welding spots after the muffler really matter either. If I wanted to remove my tip, I would have done it already. I would just have that thing cut off by a muffler shop and have them weld on another piece. Fortunately for me, there is a great muffler place here in Fontana, California called "Speedway Muffler" that I can go to have anything done for a low price. They can even cut out a small pattern from the bumper so they can fit a new straighter tip. They do so much work on a variety of Japanese imports and domestic hot rods and pickup trucks.
  12. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    Your not changing anything performance wise if you weld after the muffler. The only thing that whould change perf and/or sound is if you went with larger or smaller piping to your new tip. The tip is all for show. Personally... Id keep it how it is, but its your ride.
  13. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    if you get the TRD muffler and don't like it , just sell it and make some cash.
    if you cut the tip and reweld a new one you probably will have to pay for that. so you will be paying for the TRD muffler, plus new tip, plus welding cost..if you sell your TRD muffler, get a new custom exhaust setup, itd be much more cost effective.

Weld new tip on TRD: you just end up spending more
    Sell TRD and get new custom exhaust setup: with the money you make from selling the TRD muffler, you could get a whole new setup..maybe even have some spare change.
  14. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, what he said ^^^

Thats your smartest option if u really hate your TRD exhaust
  15. Offline

GT-R Guest

Message Count:
    lol, I don't even got one....but I've made my decision.
    Thx for all imput, I'm just exploring my options. In the case that I don't like it or that it becomes a problem I wanted to see what could be done.