1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Toyota Working On a Baby FT-86

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by 1337Rolla, May 10, 2010.

1. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Toyota Working On a Baby FT-86

[img2=left]http://blog.roadandtrack.com/wp-content/uploads/pg24_yellow.jpg[/img2]According to Road and Track: "The FT-86 has caused a big stir for Toyota ever since it was introduced at the last Tokyo Motor Show. Now we hear that Toyota is also working on milder sports car, one that’ll be $5000 less expensive than the FT-86. When the FT-86 goes on sale in 2011, we predict that it’ll come with a price tag slightly above $20,000. Toyota had originally wanted to keep the FT-86’s price tag below the $20,000-mark; however, development costs are running way over budget, and we hear that Toyota is resigned to the fact that the FT-86 will be a $20,000-plus car.

In order to fill the under-$20,000 sports-car hole in its lineup, the company is reportedly working on a baby FT-86. This car will measure about 150 in. overall length and come powered by the company’s 3SZ-VE engine, a 1.5-liter inline-4 that produces 109 bhp. It will feature a front-engine/rear drive layout. Details are still sketchy at this point, but look for this new sports car to make its debut sometime 2012."
    http://blog.roadandtrack.com/toyota-working-on-a-baby-gt-86/
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    how in the world is 109hp sports oriented?

I hope this cars weights 1100 pounds or less then
  3. Offline

SK149 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yep I hope so aswell LOL ... But atleast they say it will be rwd
  4. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    It's amazing that a scion iQ can't sell stateside with a 1.3L engine so it needs a 1.5L yet a FT-86 with a 2.0L boxer engine needs a 1.5L to sell :rolleyes:

If it isn't 1500lbs or under people will be stripping everything to get it to move. ie. hood, doors, top half of the car
  5. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    the amount of people that would probably do that is minimal. majority of the buyers would never do that to a new car. the horsepower rating is a joke though.
  6. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    The prototype looks pretty damn fugly anyways.
  7. Offline

1nicetrd Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    i would love to get the black one i think its a diamond in the rough
  8. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Thats sad. 109 hp. They seriously couldn't do better with all the technology nowadays. Thats just pathetic. Its like I'm buying the car for 16,000 then spending 1500 on internals and 2500 on a turbo. That all equals to 20,000 anyways. Why cant they just do the work and put a turbo in it for cheap or something or make parts affordable. Toyota is a multi million dollar car manufacturer. I'm sure they can afford to make something nice for their customers for once. I mean seriously, after their mishap with all the car crashes because of their error up thats the least they can do.
    Yeah come on Toyota. That is a SAD excuse for what appears to be a car. Please bring back all of the old designs. Wouldn't most of you agree that the majority of cars produced withing the last 5 years have gotten uglier and uglier. For example the acura TSX and Civic. Mazda is getting pretty nasty with Mazda3 sport. VW with the rabbit and the GTI. Bmw hasnt gotten any better IMO, and Toyota with these so called FT-86 and the celica-supra. It just seems like the looks for the cars to come is comparable to garbage. Bring back the Circle headlights and kill the electric throttle control, bring back RWD in all cars, and for christsake bring back the REAL AE-86..

Alright I'm done trolling for tonight.
  9. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    i don't mind 109 bhp. as long as the car is light as hell, it will be just as good IMO. and tuning it is all part of the fun anyway.
  10. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    That's more than a Corolla has at the wheels hahah so it's better to me as well.
  11. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    lol not my rolla. im at 155 currently.
  12. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Well I was meaning stock lol. I don't know what I'm at but I know it's improved.
  13. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    hahaha yeah i gotcha
  14. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    155 is pretty impressive. how did you setup your suspension to nullify the rear from snapping?
  15. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    i didnt think 155 was impressive at all. i did the usual stuff: REAL CAI.lol 2.5 exhaust from the down pipe and some resonators to regain some back pressure and to keep it from ricing out.lol i re did all of my seals and cleaned up the engine real nice making sure there were the least amount of imperfections on the block. i did all of the little upgrades like pulse plugs and what not. i only use the best oil for the car which imo royal purple works best and i always either do plus or premium gas. finally had my local shop tune the ecu a bit to the new intake and exhaust and semi engine build.lol i think the tuning was what really helped me gain the hp. tuning is really important as im sure you know. it last checked at 158 hp but it was like 8 months ago. i assume it will go down cuz its inevitable.

now to answer your question what exactly do you mean from snapping? like sway bars? or like frame integrity?
  16. Offline

1nicetrd Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think i would just have to wait and get the ft-86 i wonder if that's gonna be the production name?