1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Toyota Solara

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gotarheels03, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    I agree that the TS is an issue. I remember reading a recent C&D article addressing this and pointing out that passenger cars will have to go back to RWD or AWD in the near future because of how much power FF cars make nowadays.

Also, w/ the solara, ive always found it weird how the S/C is only offered for the V6 and not the 4.
  2. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    They also need to offer a 6 speed manual option on the V6 Sport Solara. Now, that will be something.
  3. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Toyota Solara

TRD is reported to have been working on a supercharger for the 3.3L V6 Solara engine that will raise the horsepower to 290-300 HP and 330 foot pounds of torque.

With this, Do Toyota's motives and new direction becoming clearer than ever??
  4. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    I don't know about the 3.3L v6 but i know they have one for the 3.0L V6.
  5. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    The 3.0 L V6 is only found on the Camry XLE V6 now where it produces 210 HP and 220 foot pounds of torque. From 2003, Toyota developed a new 3.3 L V6 engine that was capable of producing a lot more torque because of the increased discplacement. This engine is used in the Sienna and Lexus RX330 as well.
  6. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    As for the supercharger, the previous generation Solara used the 3.0L V6 engine so yes there is a supercharger for that one, but this posting is about the new engine.
  7. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    oh great, now all else they need to do is make that car less ugly
  8. Offline

Darkness Guest

Message Count:

Yup my bro drives a 2000 SE v6 solara .
  9. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    3.3L 3MZ-FE... i in japan either blitz or some other tuner company hav a s/c for it...
  10. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
    Torque-steer is included with the supercharger free of charge.
  11. Offline

rollarace New Member

Message Count:
    They looking frick'n awesome!! I totally disagreee with you on this one!!
  12. Offline

97PrizmLsi Guest

Message Count:
    I dunno, will the TS really be that bad? I know Acura was having that problem with the TL. When is Toyota/Acura going to make a FR that is affordable that the younger generation actually want to drive? I guess BMW does it right in the 3 series. I think FF is a great platform, but you are right: when you have six cylinders making decent power TS becomes an issue. Lot of weight on those wheels.
  13. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    The SE Sport with 17 inch wheels and a lowered and bolder stance with body kit. Ugly?? No way.

14. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, he is got a point there. Even bone stock, The Solaras come with 240 foot pounds of torque. That is more than most of the cars in it''s class and the problem is too common where people complain who do not know about torque steer, that the car ''pulls to the left" and they think it is a car's quality issue.

15. Offline

Hokis4ever Guest

Message Count:

I don't understand why they don't offer 5 or 6 speed on all their cars.... Would it be that much more expensive production wise?
  16. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    since a trd superchargin is coming out for the tc, it should fit the 4 banger in the camary/ solara also
  17. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    ^ That is true
  18. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Manuals are always cheaper to build than auto tranny especially compared to the one that Solaras have, which is an auto tranny with a manual tip tronic mode. If you look at the first generation Solara and even the Camry V6 models as new as 2001s, they all came with standard 5 speed manual transmission, which even Honda did not offer on their V6 models. By 2003, Toyota had decided to delete the 5 speed manual transmission off of the V6 models. The reason - The sales of manual transmission is sadly declining. Toyota claimed that 5 speed manual make up less than 20% of their overall sales and less than 10% for the V6 models( I am on the contrary actually planning to give up my auto Corolla S for a 6 speed manual Corolla XRS) . Samething goes for 2 door coupes. More and more people are picking 4 door sedans over 2 door coupes. There has been a big shift in the taste of customers with the demand for true sports cars declining sharply in the last few years in favor of gas guzzling SUVs. All of these things suck.

19. Offline

02RSX Guest

Message Count:
    doubtful, since the 1MZ already has a supercharger, and tehy're almost teh exact same engine, it should be really easy to use that supercharger (slightly modified) on the 3MZ.

the 2AZ will have a vortech, which toyota has never used. That means lots and lots of R&D. But tehy say it should be out by November, so we'll see.

Hopefully they bring back a manual for teh V6's. This also happened with teh Gen4. when tehy first came out, the V6 was only available in auto, but at the MMC, it got a 5-spd option for the V6. But 05 was the MMC, and as far as i know, there still is no manual for teh V6 from teh factory :meh:
  20. Offline

prophesized Guest

Message Count:
    they arent going to waste time making a sc for the 4 cylinder when it would probably end up only making as much power as the stock v6.
  21. Offline

Jai Guest

Message Count:
    But you all also go to keep in mind that the 2az engine that goes to the 4banger solara & camry, is what Scion Tc comes with. Since there are rumors for the S/c coming this fall for the TC, i'd think in this scenario...the 4 banger might have a s/c even before the 3mz does.
  22. Offline

PsyVash Guest

Message Count:
    I'm gonna have to agree with this one. The 2000 SLE looks a hell of a lot cleaner than the 2004 Lexus wannabe.
  23. Offline

os3of5 Guest

Message Count:
    my parents just got a 2004 solara two days ago. Drives like a boat. Not terribly interesting.
  24. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    The V6 SE Sport has a sport tuned suspension.
  25. Offline

Jai Guest

Message Count:
    do note that the imz vvti could not adapt to the s/c, hence the 3mz WILL not also adapt to the s/c as well.
    Also, Japan already has something in the works for 2az engines. Stateside will get it late fall (as per what scion dealers are saying).
  26. Offline

Chris Corolla S Member

Message Count:
    Duh. You don't have to be such a toyota fan-boy all the time.
    The "sport tuned suspension" on the Camry SEs has never been a hell of a lot different than the regular suspension. Besides everyone here knows what an SE is or they don't know shit about toyotas... :D

Edit: I don't mean to insult you by calling you a fan-boy, but you really are.
    Quoting shit like this "The SE Sport with 17 inch wheels and a lowered and bolder stance with body kit." Straight from toyota is pretty lame. When some one says that they don't like how a car looks, that's their opinion. You can say, "I don't aggree, I think the car looks nice" fine. But quoting some stupid toyota marketing bull is not "evidence" that the car looks good as you seem to be presenting it. It's all opinion.
  27. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Sure, you are entitled to your own opinion and free to call me a monkey boy. I don't care. None of that comes from any marketing ploy. It is all worded according to my own thoughts and what I see. As far as the sport tuned suspension, the skidpad handling tell a different story than what you have to say, CorollaS. The skidpad handling on a 300 foot skid pad is 0.76 lateral g's for a V6 Solara SLE while the SE Sport has 0.82 lateral g's. That is still a difference in my book.
  28. Offline

Chris Corolla S Member

Message Count:
    Well I stand corrected on the significance of the SE suspension. I have to admit .6 Gs is a decent gain. Perhaps the newer SEs have more drastic changes than the previous ones. Or perhaps I am misinformed all together Mr. Monkey Boy ;)