1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Toyota Reports 2013 Scion FR-S Quality Problems To Dealers

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by |-Goku-|, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    Since I will soon own one, I wanted to post news. Even if it isn't good news :O

Toyota has informed their dealers that the new Scion FR-S sports coupe has a couple of quality issues:
    1. Some new FR-S coupes have exhibited moisture build-up in the rear tail light housings, indicating the units aren’t being sealed properly by the supplier and/or being damaged during assembly.
    2. Some new FR-S coupes have body panels that are not fitting flush at the gaps – Toyota reports that some panels are sitting as a quarter of inch over or under flush.
    Toyota has issued these quality issue announcements as innocuous sounding “tech tips,” intended to help dealers get ahead of these issues before consumers have a chance to sound the alarm bells.

[IMG]

Tech tip S-TT-0043-12 states that some vehicles may have body panels that aren’t flush (either under- or over-flush) which are causing customers to complain. This tech tip doesn’t offer a fix, and merely states that Toyota is “looking into” the issue.
    Tech tip S-TT-0042-12 states that there could be moisture built up in the rear combination lamps. Toyota is asking dealers to report any cars they have with this condition, including when the issue was discovered, how bad the problem is/was, and how the issue was addressed. Toyota is also asking dealers if the replacement lamp assembly had the same issue (suggesting a supplier QC problem).

While the moisture issue can be dismissed as relatively minor, body panel fitment issues are disconcerting. This problem should never happen in the manufacturing process.

What’s the Long Term Impact?

While these quality issue reports are unlikely to dampen enthusiasm for the Scion FR-S, they do speak to the difficulties of vehicle partnerships. It’s easy to envision these issues are a result of miscommunications between two different design/development teams. Tundra owners looking forward to the Tundra Hybrid (which will be a collaboration between Ford and Toyota) might be wise to wait and buy their hybrid Tundra until after the first model year is produced.

What do you think? Are these issues part of a larger quality control problem? Or just minor issues that affect all car manufactures?

Read the fulll Scion FR-S Recall story on AutoGuide.com
  2. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Personally I dont think its that big of a deal, people are just being extremely anal about small stuff nowadays. I mean its a scion, not a ferrari. :rolleyes:

There was a problem with the 7th gen accords that affected the glove box; it would not stay flush with the rest of the dash and there was about a 1/4" gap as well. People noticed but its not like there was a massive re-call.

Come to think of it... theres a DIY on fixing that. I think im gonna go work on that..
  3. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    good to know.. could be a lot worse like ugh... this
  4. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Thats bad? How about "unintended acceleration." Lol...
  5. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
  6. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Some of these recalls are too funny

Toyota Recalls Lexus Sedans in China

LINK
  7. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
  8. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    considering how a chinese car crumbles like a soda impact in a crash test, a exploding toyota engine is no big deal to them
  9. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
  10. Offline

Bdub215 3VZ; 2JZ

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    93 ES300, 92 SC300
    Figured I should mention that Tech tips are NOT recalls in anyway shape or form.