1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Toyota F1 first pole position in US grand prix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corolla DX-R, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    Toyota F1 first pole position in US grand prix

wow... just amazing... first japanese team since the 60s to take first place in qualifying... it was close but the MB didn't hav the top speed that the toyota hav
  2. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    :woot: go Toyota even though Montoya drives for MB but I'm glad for Toyota though man. The Toyota team is making really good improvements. Jarno Trulli took the pole by the way :D
  3. Offline

hellapinoy 2000 Celica GTS

Message Count:
    montoya is in Benz already?!? i havent watched f1 for like 2 years... but i have a montoya hat though...lol...

cant get a bigger pic...
    [IMG]
  4. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Schumacher finally has competition
  5. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    sato represent toyota, aint he?
  6. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:
    sato = honda

sorry boys, but kimi already has this one wrapped up.
  7. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    nope Sato drives for Honda.

Here are the drivers:

Ferrari - Michael Schumacher, Rubens Barichello
    MClaren (MB) - Kimi Raikonnen, Juan Pablo Montoya
    Williams BMW - Mark Webber, Nick Heidfield
    Renault - Fernando Alonso, Giancarlo Fisichella
    BAR Honda - Jenson Button, Takuma Sato
    Sauber Petronas - Jacques Villeneuve, Felipe Massa
    Toyota - Jarno Trulli, Ralph Schumacher
    Jordan (Toyota) - Narain Karthikeyan, Tiago Monteiro
    Red Bull - Cristian Klien, David Coulthard
    Minardi - Patrick Frieshacher, Cristijan Albers

Montoya drove with Williams BMW for 2 seasons and was signed by McLaren to a 2 yr contract when Montoya refused a 3 yr contract with Ferrari because he didn't want to do the same job that Barrichello was doing for Schumacher and that was handing Schumacher the wins in a silver platter just like it was seen in Spain last year. Montoya even said that till Schumacher remains on Ferrari that he will never drive for the team.
  8. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    just a foot note....
    the other Toyota driver for this race is not Ralf Schumacher...its Ricardo Zonta. Ralf was injured in practice if i'm not mistaken....
  9. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    yea he was, dang man history repeats itself. Last season he injured himself badly in the straight away by running into a wall the same race and that almost cost him his career.
  10. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:
    Even though he will be doing the same thing this year and in the future for Raikonnen
  11. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Just goes to show....hmf
  12. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
  13. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    i can't believe the fia wouldn't just let all the teams run a different set of tires. it would have saved the event.
  14. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    its hard to place blame...if they did let the Michelin teams use diff tires, it would be an unfair advantage for Bridgestone...
    also, if the FIA did let them put a chicane on turn 13, without any practice laps, it would be dangerous...
    although i think Michelin did a right thing of pulling their teams, i think they should not have been in that position in the first place...
    my .02 cents..
  15. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i think this race is bull sh!t... this race could've been a toyota's race... that dumbA$$ from Jordan Toyota is a idiot think he is so great but he's actually not...
  16. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:
    Michelin should have brought better tires, plain and simple. It is not Ferrari's fault (or any Bridgestone running team) and they shouldn't have to submit to a change in the rules that would allow Michelin teams to level the playing field (especially since the first few races had the opposite happening with no complaint from Bridgestone).

This wasn't all about safety... as most drivers were willing and wanted to race, especially David Coulthard and Sato. If it were just about safety, they would have raced at a lower speed around that corner.
  17. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    ^^i agree on your first point ...
    as for allowing the michelin drivers to race but slowing down at turn 13, easier said than done. you cant tell a race car driver to slow down, especially if he is being chased by a rival...its just in their blood...

also, i dont think Monteiro thought he was great...he was just happy to be at the podium, granted the race was not a normal race...but for racers of his caliber, they'd take anything that would better their resume...
  18. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    eh weird shit that happens in the racing world, what can I say lol and well Montoya doesn't really race for anyone and there's a team agreement where Raikkonen and Montoya stated that they would race independently and what not of course without affecting each other like we saw with Rubens and Michael Schumacher coming out of the pits...that shit was kinda funny. Part I did NOT like was the fact that faggot won again, I hate Schumacher if it wasn't for Ferrari he wouldn't be crap. I hand it to him he's a good driver but in this competition u ain't no one without a car...
  19. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:

he wasn't always with ferrari, you know... nor were all his wins.

you mean, like when he gets blue flagged? whatever, all michelin runners could have done SOMETHING to not make the USGP a joke, but they didn't want to... they wanted to make a scene more than anything else... and they wanted to make it look like the FIA's fault that they sat out... nice try, but I'm not buying it.
  20. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    you got me all wrong...i agree that something should have done so the race wouldnt have been a joke. but dont blame the drivers either, they were just following orders (some drivers actually did want to race...). something could have been done...i dont know what...maybe making the chicane they wanted, and giving them an extra hour session to practice on it..or something...it seemed at the end it was more of a war of manhood between FIA and the Michelin/Teams...so sad....

true...and actually, Schumacher made Ferarri what it is today...before 1996, the team was struggling...(in fairness, you also have to give credit to Jean Todd and the team for their success...).
    saying that Schumi is good because of his car, you got it backwards, D...remember he also brought life to Bennetton before he went to Ferrari...
  21. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    I think the Ferrari team did a dick move this past weekend.....all politics.
  22. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    eh there's Ferrari for u, they do w/e it takes to win. and well I know that Schumacher has never been with Ferrari. He also raced for Renault too back in the day and I think there's another team but I don't remember what it was... Schumacher is a hell of a driver I give u that but I guarantee u anything that he wouldn't have won this weekend if it wouldn't have been for the incident that's for sure, Ferrari is struggling big time with their new engine layout and shit
  23. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    it wasnt Renault back then when Schumacher was driving...it was Bennetton Team, D. As for the other team he drove...you might be thinking of Jordan...yes, they were the first team to give him a car...alllbeit for only one race....
  24. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Well didn't Benneton back then have Renault motors? I could've sworn they did hmm weird but u know that's how legends are born but I don't like Schumacher personally he's too damn cocky....
  25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  26. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:

How was it a dick move?

Ferrari had tire troubles in previous races and never asked for the rules to be changed... they drove as long as they could then withdrew. Why should they then allow the only other tire manufacturer to muscle the FIA into allowing the race to be evened up with a chicane? Michelin was told by the FIA that they can run another set of tires (which they had failed to bring to the US) and they were told the FIA will even use a penalty system to not allow Michelin runners to drive through turn 13 over a certain speed... but Michelin would only accept this if the Bridgestone teams were penalized as well... why should they be penalized? Michelin was willing to run for no points, but again... Bridgestone runners had to run for no points as well... that is stupid.

If Ferrari had tried something like this in those early races when they were having trouble, Michelin runners would have been livid just by the thought of Ferrari thinking they can change the rules... what is different?

I'm glad the teams dropped out. I watched the entire race and enjoyed it.
  27. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    For the sake of the fans, and working at making better relations in the US, they should have compromised as well.

Ferraris tire troubles in the past are a seperate issue, and not as big as a scale as this problem was. This was a total safety issue, in regards to a bad batch of tires.

They were the holdouts in regards to the chicane, and in regards to the no-points. They shouldve given points in regards to the qualifiying positions, and raced for no points. They were also the holdout in regards to allowing tire changes.
    Fans fans fans, and they knew that they would have an easy top three position if they were the holdouts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=f1&id=2089850
  28. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    not untill 1992 did Bennetton get the Renault engine along with Williams...in 1991 Schumacher joined Bennetton in a Ford powered car, iirc...Renault dropped out again in 1996 and Schumacher joined Ferrari....

i dont think you could blame Ferrari, even Tony George didnt....(for what thats worth...)
  29. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Of course he wont blame a team. But its a fact that Ferrari was the SOLE holdout when any compromise was tried to be reached. Schumacher needs a win however he can get it I guess.
  30. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    you're right that Ferrari was the lone holdout...but dont you think that any other team would have done the same if it was the other way around...not trying to make Ferrari a saint...just wanted to put blame where blame is due....'

and no...i will never outgrow a corolla...lol...