1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Took Out Air Damper Thing in the Intake Box

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by rolla_dink, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    Took Out Air Damper Thing in the Intake Box

There is a white air damper / air guide tube in the stock intake box, which I took out last night to see what it does. The car seems to suck in more air, and takes off harder, however hesitates as if the MAS can't handle it, or enough gas isn't getting to the engine. I put it back on today and it runs normal, but when it was running last night it seemed to pull harder. Can anyone explain why, and if this effect would also be something a CAI on the S/C would do?
  2. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    There is no such hesitation problem experienced with the CAI... Perhaps your ECM had to recalibrate itself to the new found extra available air.
  3. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    did you reset your ECU after you removed it?
  4. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    Yes. I actually was bypassing my throttle body and decided what the hell, lets take this thing out and see what it does. I ran it for about an hour. It was pulling hard, but would "sputter" and hesitate. I was thinking of taking it out again and seeing if it would correct itself.
  5. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    I took that white peice out of my air box too along time ago before i got my CAI. I did notice a little more intake noise and the car seemed to pull just a hair harder. But i didnt notice this sputtering effect that you are talking about. Didnt notice any ill side effects at all. Maybe you could just be imagining it? I would say take it back out, reset the ECU, and run the car like that for a week and see what happens.
  6. Offline

rolla_dink Guest

Message Count:
    Could be the S/C. I'll pull it out again and see if it improves over the week.

Thanks everyone.