1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Tire noise on 04 corolla

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by GSE21tuner, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    The rear tires could be rubbing the fenders really badly. Run you had along the fender well. If it's black, there's your problem. Perhaps the springs are sagging or the struts are blown. The tires could be rubbing on the strut assembly as well. Was the car bought used? You should run a carfax on it to check to see if it's been in any major accidents.
  2. Offline

seth Guest

Message Count:
    Tire noise on 04 corolla

My girlfriend has a 2004 toyota corolla LE and her tires were making a loud noise like a lifted truck with huge mud tires on it....the faster the MPH are, the louder the noise becomes. It's really loud and noticeable at 40-50 MPH, and gets even worse at highway speeds. I took it to the Goodyear shop, and her tires were shot because her alignment was off. I got the tires aligned and bought 4 brand new tires and had them balanced. However, the noise is still there! It seems to be coming mostly from the rear tires. I don't know a whole lot about corollas, so I wanted any input as to what you guys think the problem could possibly be coming from? A bad wheel bearing? Any help is greatly appreciated. It's an 04 for crying out loud though! There shouldn't be any problems like this!
  3. Offline

seth Guest

Message Count:
    Ahh! Thanks! I'll check that and update. Yes, she did buy the car used, but I'm not sure if it was in any accidents. She was going over speedbumps at rather high speeds (up to 15mph), which is what messed her alignment up originally. It would make sense if the shocks are blown. Thanks for the insight! I'll check it!
  4. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    i have a feeling u were running the speed bumps at "rather high speeds". lol = )
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    It should be alright with a stock suspension though. 15 mph rolling on stock feels like nothing. If I hit a speed bump going 15, I'd tear out my suspension and get a back spasm. LOL :D
  6. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    if its not your rear struts,it might be your wheel bearing.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I never thought of that. It very well could be a wheel bearing...
  8. Offline

seth Guest

Message Count:
    hahaha! sometimes those "high speeds" were reaching close to 30 mph! That's why I got on her case a little about it! I ran a carfax on it, and it was involved in a minor front impact collision with a guardrail, but it only did superficial damage according to the police report. I haven't had a chance to check the shocks/struts yet, but a mechanic friend of mine said it sounded like it's either the rear brakes or the rear wheel bearing ( more than likely the wheel bearing in his opinion). I'm starting to think it's the bearing, because the tires aren't rubbing the fenders, struts, or anything for that matter! What would cause a rear wheel bearing to fail on a front wheel drive car? It seems to me like the front ones would fail before the rear bearings would ever give out. Her drum brakes need new shoes anyway, so sometime in the next week or two on my day off, I'll change those out and see what happens. I really think it's the wheel bearing though.......... we'll see! I'll keep you updated as I find out. Thanks for all the input, guys!
  9. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    It's most likely your tires. Allot of tires that are rated high mileage, tires that have an aggressive tread, low profile tires or just plan cheap a** tires can be pretty noisey at speed. Trust me, you usually don't hear these tires running untill you hit around 45 mph and up. Some tires can be pretty noisey at low speeds as well. That's what you should look at first. Don't go spending all your money on replacing suspension items and wheel bearings when the problem might be your tires. You can also do a search on 9thgencorolla and see if maybe someone one there has had the same problem.
  10. Offline

seth Guest

Message Count:
    I thought it was the tires too, at first. However, I've had all four tires replaced with brand new quality tires, not cheap ass crap tires, and had the car aligned just for good measure. I drive a 2004 honda civic with 18" rims wrapped in low profile tires, so I know what a normal tire noise sounds like......this noise from her car is NOT normal and is not coming from the tires, as I had originally presumed. As I said before, it sounds like the big mud tires you would here on a lifted truck. My parents have a 05 corolla, and there is no comparison whatsoever between the normal "tire noise" from their corolla, and the sound my girlfriend's corolla is making. There is no reason for it to be that loud, especially with all brand new tires. I'm a car guy, and can usually fix most problems, but I can't figure this one out yet. I hope it's not the wheel bearing, but something is obviously not right.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I know it's a long shot, but it could be a bad ball joint.
  12. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    <br />
    Based on what your saying, it might just be a wheel bearing. I beleive, if not mistaken, you can check for bad wheel bearings by jacking the car up and then check to see if there's any horizontal movement by grabing the front and aft of the tire and push-pull it toward you (pull the front while pushing the rear and vise versa). I know this might sound crazy, but take a look around the rear section of your exhaust as well, because you might have a leak that sounds like your tires are rubbing. It sounds funny, but I've actually heard of this happening. Also, Have you taken a look at the rear brakes to make sure one is not hung up and causing the noise?
  13. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    There are no ball joints in the rear suspension on the 03 and up Corolla. They have the rear torsion bar rearend and not the independent set up.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  15. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    It's not bad. I like it because it feels allot more solid then the independent rear suspension. It would be nice to see some one run an all wheel drive or even just a rear wheel drive set up on the 9th gen, if it hasn't been done already. I know that Toyota made an all wheel drive option for the Matrix but never offered it on the Corolla. I don't know why they didn't, they share the same suspension. I remember when the guy who created CTHREERACING, which I beleive is no longer around, was talking about putting all wheel drive on his 98 or 99 Corolla. If I'm not mistaken, he may have actually finished it but I don't know. And if you haven't seen it yet, there was a Scion XB at the SEMA show that had a twin turbo charged 4.7 liter V8 out of a Tundra and it had rear wheel drive. I believe they showed it in the current issue of Super Street. Looks kick a**.