1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Thumping noise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 93geoprizm, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    Thumping noise

So there's been this thumping noise comin when im going straight. Doubt its the axles but there was a lil wiggle on the passenger side when we had the car up. Also noticed the front mount cracked which will be replaced soon. My mechanic said something that it could be the differential goin bad? I was like we have differentials??? lol
    It like every revolution of the wheel theres a boom, but not too loud so it gets faster as i go faster.
    Any guess on what it could be?
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    sound clip ftw
  3. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    yeah sounds clip.. and i know this is gonna sounds stupid but check to make sure the lug nuts are all tightened and also check your bearings..

if you put a sound clip chances are ill be able to tell you cuz ive literally have had every single problem for that kinda shit in my car
  4. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    The way you just described it is the same way my cars have acted when I had nails or rocks in (punctured) my tires. It drove me nuts when I first heard it and then I realized what it was. ever since then, I always check my tires first and thats what it usually is. its worth a shot to check.
  5. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    I tried makin a video but it was a big fail lol
    I guess you have to be in the car to hear/feel it. So initially I was pretty sure that my axle or like my mechanic said, differential is goin bad, once i started researching. Then I was like lemme pull my head out and see where is it exactly comin from while driving, i was driving like 5mph. It sounds like its comin from the rear wheel. I know for sure it is since it was pretty obvious. Im gonna check my tires for nails and stuff but this was the discovery I made so i thought id share.

Update. Found the problem, it was the driver side rear tire, thank god wasnt anythin major or mechanical
  6. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    what was wrong with the driver side rear tire?
  7. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    10$ on wheel bearing fucked
  8. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Yeah sound likes it could be a wheel bearing or you just didnt tighten your bolts on the tires enough, that sometimes happens to me when you dont drive the car around and tighten it up a little more after taking off the tire.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    I still say it may be a nail..lol.
  10. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Seems unlikely to me that a nail would go through the tire and start bouncing around inside. I mean I'm sure its possible but theres no way this is common.
  11. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    especially when hard nails, that pierce a tire have a head...

and if it was a nail your tire wouldn't be able to hold pressure... most of the time anyways
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    The OP stated that he heared a "thumping" sound and everytime he drove faster the sound would go faster as well. He then said its only coming from a specific wheel. he never said there was a rattle in the tire, just thumping.

In my expierence, as I said above, I had nails puncture the tire and with the head sticking out, would create a thumping sound. In some cases the air would leak out fast, in others, the air would take a while to escape from the tire.

But it may very well not be a nail. However, that's the first thing I'd check before determining if its something else.
  13. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    lol interesting to see everyone fighting over what the problem could be. It's def not a nail since its been holding air for the longest time. So you guys think its the bearings? That probably might just be it. Im gonna drop it off with my mechanic and get it looked at
  14. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    Small update.
    So my mechanic told me that once they lifted the car, they saw the problem. Rear strut/shock has gone bad and was leaking fluids. This cause excessive wear on the tire which is why the tire is making that wierd thumping noise. Now I have coilovers, not like I can to a autozone and grab me one. im thinking of just buying a cheap tire for now and just replacing it for the time being. Im not sure how long has that coilover been bad for since I saw no difference in driving and cornering. You think it should be ok for the time being. I am just thinkin of slapping my stock suspension once winter rolls around and selling the coilovers.

Another problem I had was the gas line. The thing is rusted to heck and my mechanic noted it leaking gas and told me to get it replaced asap. Where can I get these from?
  15. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Probably didn't notice the change in performance because the coilover spring rates are so high. That, plus being mounted on the rear of the car, makes it less noticeable.

That corner is basically just all spring - you can let it go for now, but don't let it get too far along. Even with a new tire there, tire wear will be greatly accelerated. If that one is leaking, no telling how the others are doing.

As for the fuel line - you can bend the tubing yourself. It is a higher pressure line, but nothing like a brake line. If you had no choice, you could splice out the damaged sections and use a compression fitting to join the spliced end. Not recommended, but I have seen many hold up a surprising long amount of time. Don't remember if this generation had o-rings or used threaded connections - if threaded, make sure you use plenty of penetrating spray, as the last thing you need is to snap off an end by accident.
  16. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    yea ill leave the suspension components for now and i am aware of accelrated tire wear due to bad coilovers. Thats why I bought some brand new cheap kelly tires for like $30 lol.
    The gas line ill probably get it all changed since its gonna be one problem after another.
  17. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    sounds like exactly what happened on our honda civic. the shocks leaked out most of the fluid and the car got insanely bouncy. As a result it screwed up the camber pretty bad and made the tire form ridges that made a thumping sound once you got over 20mph. Replacing the shocks & tires fixed it and the problem hasn't come back.