1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Thoughts on the new Lexus GS 430?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by valve_timing, May 22, 2004.

1. Offline

valve_timing Guest

Message Count:
    Thoughts on the new Lexus GS 430?

2006 Lexus GS 430 Midsize Sedan
    Available: February 2005

The Tail lights are pretty sweet..

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Offline

Dimsum New Member

Message Count:
    Wow, looks pretty sleak. Kinda reminds me of a G35 coupe though.
  3. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    interior looks great, rear looks ok and the front is ugly.......i like the old GS better
  4. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    pretty nice all around. it looks hella long
  5. Offline

istylez Guest

Message Count:
    not really a fan of this one. i think i'm so in love w/ the current gen that this one looks ugly IMO

also does the back looks lower than the front?? and that lexus emblem in the front is the size of the headlight. :shock: the tails look like the 1993-1887 gs300/400 series too

i do like hte interior tho. do they know how much its gonna go for?
  6. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    probably around the same price as the current ones
  7. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
    Back reminds me of a Maxima. Other than that, looks good overall. Love the interior.
  8. Offline

valve_timing Guest

Message Count:
    some more pics

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    looks like a limo :X
  10. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    They are way overpriced for the features it carries. I would not consider getting that vehicle. Too many other better choices to look at. Performance wise, they're not up to par. Then again, it was never meant to be one.
  11. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    performance? what more do u wnat? 300hp/320tq somehwat fuel efficient for a V8..but its true..its overpriced...the upcoming Acura RL gonna kick ass
  12. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    it looks pretty damn good but tha cost is a killer
  13. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    too much of a boat looking thing for me. not a fan.
  14. Offline

MPLexus301 Guest

Message Count:
    Tom-

The first thing I want to bring up is that we know relatively little about the new GS. We know the engine displacement and size and some of the minor specifications, but Lexus isn't sharing full details until the car gets closer to launch.

Considering that, I guess I'd like to address some of the points in your argument. Overpriced? While Lexus hasn't shared the official pricing for the new GS, I wouldn't expect that it should change much from the current car. That would mean that the GS300 will start at about $39,000 and probably carry more standard features than the E320, 530i, and A6. At the same time, considering those competitors it offers the strongest engine- 245HP and 228 lb-ft of torque from it's direct injection V-6. Again, we can't be sure of what this engine will exactly be like, but I'm expecting it to be quite strong considering it's unique DI and other features. The GS430 on the other hand uses the same 300 HP V-8 with 325 lb-ft of torque, but in 2005 it will come with a new 6AT. With it's 5AT the GS430's 0-60 is a "conservative" 5.7 seconds, faster than any other automatic V-8 competitors in it's class. With it's new 6 spd the car should be even faster, but at the same time it will be bigger which likely means heavier so some of the new performance will be cancelled out. Looking at the interior, the new GS offers a fresh and user friendly design that's complimented by the latest technology and one of the best navigation systems in the industry. Style is an objective matter, but from the pictures I much prefer the new GS's interior to that of it's new competitors. The wheelbase is now closer to the LS430 I believe which means that the car will have more space, which is much needed in the rear seats. Considering that this is a Lexus, you can expect that the new GS will offer all of the state of the art technology- laser cruise controls, voice activated nav system, Mark Levinson sound system, rear seat controls, ect.

Looking at the outside, the GS is again a standout in it's class. The exterior design is new and fresh, and distinctly different from any of the cars in it's class. The only car that looks as good in my eyes is the E Class, and maybe the new M45. Style is again a subjective matter, but it's sure that the 2006 GS will not be mistaken for any other vehicle.

A case could be made for the new RL, but the truth of the matter is that FWD, even with AWD has it's limitations. There's no doubt that as a world class sport sedan the new GS will outshine the RL and be able to compete with the 5Series and E class.

Considering all of the things that any Lexus has- quality, reliability, attention to detail, fantastic service, and value, the new GS will surely be at the top of it's class. Considering the base prices and standard and optional features of many of it's competitors, it's hard to deny that the GS300 and 430 will be some of the most overall competitive cars in their classes.

-Michael-
  15. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    I don't like the fastback rear. It looks silly on a sedan.

And the spedometer with marks every 2.5mph annoys me.

Otherwise, though, it's gorgeous... and exactly the kind of car I'd never buy.
  16. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    In the same competing class is the E60 BMW 545i (6sp). That's where I'd be laying my cash.
  17. Offline

kriskraut Guest

Message Count:
    I saw this car at the 04' Chicago Auto Show, and let me tell you! These pictures do not do it justice. This was the first car I noticed at the show and can't wait see one again. Just my opinion,
  18. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    there is a new v6 engine coming for it. its from the new Crown that was launch recently making 245hp. but there are stuff that japan toyota isnt going to give us. like the twin turbo Aristo/GS 300V. that will kill AMG E-Class and BMW M series. :twisted:
  19. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    My money's on the twin turbo V8 in the RS6... as Hammer used to say "can't touch this..." (tuning potential). I just read an article that featured a tuned RS6 with 580 whp.

You better hope the twin-turbo Aristo makes more than 469 SAE hp in stock trim, since that's what the "AMG" E55 makes at the crank.

The only figures I could find for a V300, is a 1999 model which made 280 bhp. Corrected for SAE hp, it would be even less.
  20. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    your hp figure for the aristo is suppose to be in ps, not bhp. but thats the japanese market. most cars are rated at 280ps including the Celsior, and Century and Supra and the skyline and other higher power cars due to government standard. but they will usually bend that rule, like the new Mark II/Cressida it now makes 300ps instead of 280 and i believe a few other are over that standard.
  21. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    "...like the twin turbo Aristo/GS 300V. that will kill AMG E-Class and BMW M series."

The point that I was trying to make is that the Aristo V300 isn't a BMW ///M or E55 killer. Both kraut-kars make at least one Corolla engine's output more hp than the V300.
  22. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    are we talking about stock Aristo V300 vs. stock amg and m. b/c i read an article that shows that the Aristo will beat both up. i'll try and find it.
  23. Offline

MPLexus301 Guest

Message Count:
    The last thing I read indicated that for the 2006 GS Lexus was going to take the 3.0L, bore it out to 300HP (3.5L), and then add a 170HP hybrid engine for a grand total of 470HP. I also heard that they were going to tune the LS430 out to 5.0L's and roughly 400HP, then add a 200HP hybrid engine for a grand total of nearly 600HP. Yes, hybrid is the performance car of the future.

-Michael-