1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

The Official Tundra MPG Thread

Discussion in 'Truck & SUV' started by DeebsTundra, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    The Official Tundra MPG Thread

I have to start one of these, because it's a huge topic among Tundra owners.

Please keep all MPG discussions confined to this thread, as I do not want 600 of these threads floating around. :D So I'll merge threads religiously.

I have a light foot, and pull an average of 18 mpg.

So let the anger about your gas mileage begin! :)
  2. Offline

YamahaTundraV8 New Member

Message Count:
    16 mpg mostly city/ hwy traffic
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Did you see a loss or gain after you put the Borla's on? I noticed mine went down from more like 18.5 after I installed the Magnaflow...I still like hearing it, so I'm just slightly harder on the throttle than when it was stock.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    To be honest Not really it's ABOUT the same. 4wd trucks tend to suck more gas vs the 2wd tundra thought
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    I can only assume that's do to the weight difference, based on the transfer case and extra driveshaft...and some other various components...but it's not like everybody with 4WD drives around with it on all the time.

Hell, my 4-Lo has gotten more of a workout in the last 4 months than the entire 3 years I've had the truck.
  6. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Wow, those Tundra's like the gas don't they.
  7. Offline

My03Tundra ROLL OUT!

Message Count:
    When I drive, I get about 15 to 16 city and 17 to 19 highway.

Now, since I'm out-of-work, and unable to drive I have my Mom driving my truck...

She drives with O/D off, over 50 MPH when not towing A THING, and loves shotgun starts. In the city she gets about 13(!) MPG and probably 18 highway.

My parents also have a 2003 Ford F-150 XLT extended cab, long bed, with it's even thirstier Triton 5.4L V8 engine. They bought it to tow a trailer (S.S. Minnow on WHEELS) and both truck and trailer were caught in a BAD hail storm. The trailer was totalled and the truck was in the shop for almost a month getting repaired. Now, it is driven by my Mom who I've figured gets about 11 to 13 MPG city, and 14 to 17 MPH highway.
  8. Offline

Message Count:

13 city there is something wrong with your tundra?

have you cleaned your map sensor dude Im willing to bet you havent yet . course my tundra has a lot less miles vs all you guys but even still 13mpg doesnt sound right for city all around driving even my old 2000 tundra received better mpg vs that ...
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Nah, if his mom is jumping and running around town in 3rd gear ALL the time...the high revs are probably what's killing it.
  10. Offline

My03Tundra ROLL OUT!

Message Count:
    That is EXACTLY what is killing the mileage. I tried to tell her to TRY to keep it under 3000, but it is so hard for her to do in ANY car. I'd hate to see what she'd do with a high-reving car like the Mazda RX-8, or the Honda S2000. She might have some REAL fun in one of them.
  11. Offline

James800 New Member

Message Count:
    Im getting 13mpg city, and yes my maf is clean. i was getting 12 before my intake.
  12. Offline

My03Tundra ROLL OUT!

Message Count:
    When I get my next "service" done on my truck, I plan on getting the regular oil change, all fluids checked, filters replaced as needed, MAF cleaned, and anything else that could impact fuel economy checked. I also need to get the air pressure in my tires checked, and my tires rotated and balanced at Costco.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    Air Pressure...heh. My dad always jumps on me about that...he says, your tires look flat! Rating on your sidewall says 60 lbs, are you running 56? He believes that 4 lbs less than the sidewall is where the tire should be run.
    ..Holy crap, has anybody every driven something with 56 lbs of air in the tires? :eek:
  14. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    I'm getting 17mpg combined. I drive about 50/50 highway and city. Oh, and I should mention that my foot is made of lead.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Dude! You've got me looking, everytime a dark colored 4-Runner drives by me...I look to see if he's got an exhaust and see if it's you.

Lol.

17 is pretty good considering your a throttle jockey. :)

What's the weight difference between the 4-Runner and the Tundra? I think I'm 6900 total.
  16. Offline

James800 New Member

Message Count:
    the most i have done is 45, and holly crap it rides like a jeep wrangler!!! you feel every damned bump in the road, and its a hard bump! i have mine at 30 now, seems to be a nice comprimise
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, I had the guys at my tire shop accidently inflate my tires to 60 lbs...O.M.G.

I actually caught air on several bumps.
  18. Offline

James800 New Member

Message Count:
    Heheheh kinda like that hump I flooredit on at devils canyon :D
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    I dont let my parents use my Tundra once in a wile maybe but that's why i live 5 miles away from them :) :D
  20. Offline

My03Tundra ROLL OUT!

Message Count:
    Generally, I like riding around with 30 to 32 PSI on the rear tires and about an equal difference on the front. The door specs say to 29 rear, 26 front for my 265/70R/16 tires. I run about 29 in the front, usually.
  21. Offline

OUTRNNR New Member

Message Count:
    I have TRD badges on the C-Pillars, tinted windows, and the gunmetal colored 18" wheels which don't come on Sport Edition models (I also have the *fake* hood scoop).

According to Toyota.com, the '06 4Runner Sport weighs in at about 4500 lbs. But the '06 models have a couple of other options in the sport which make it weigh more than mine does, like thicker glass all around, and power front seats. I'm guessing I'm more like 4300-4400 lbs. Looks like you outweigh me by at least 2500 lbs...Fat ass...:D
  22. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    My shitty old Chevy truck gets better mileage than that.