1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Test Drive: 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CorollaAltis, May 22, 2004.

1. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    Test Drive: 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS

After driving the XRS, it is completely different from the Corolla S which I am used to. It seems like I'm connected to the car. My Corolla S is a really good car, but somehow, I still feel detached from it. The XRS, however, gives me a different feeling...a feeling of more confidence in driving, pushing the car to its limits. Starting from the gas pedal, it seems stiffer and more responsive than the Corolla S. Transmission-wise. the clutch feels lighter and when you let go of it a bit just to roll the car, the car doesn't shake as much. The reverse is now on the left side, not the right like the regular Corollas. The 2zz-ge engine is nice and smooth just like the 1zz-fe. For some reason, when I gunned the car first, rev-limiter kicked in at 7200, but I guess because the engine was still cold when i gunned it. The bucket seats are great and they seem a bit lower than regular seats, yet still comfortable. The steering wheel tilts down a little lower too, which is good for short people like me. Suspension wise, its stiffer and also lower. The strut bar has three or four pieces bolted together. Overall, I love this car, and with the test drive, it convinced me more to trade in my Corolla S for this Corolla XRS.
  2. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    So the new XRS comes with a new front strut bar?
  3. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    yup

..i want my Corolla XRS but Toyota Hawaii said the 2005 line isnt coming in till July/August. I cant wait!!
  4. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    hey just curious, what was the sticker price?
  5. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Wow, that's pretty good. Looks like it is race inspired. Got to get one of those strut bar myself.
  6. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Base MSRP of $17,455, 2005 Corolla XRS.
  7. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Ontario Canada is posting their MSRP for the 2005 Corolla XRS at $24,185. So we have different price ranges all over the place depending on where you are.
  8. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    Only the XRS model boost 170hp while the other Corolla model only has 130hp. Those are listed as $13,680 with invoice price at $12, 652. So that answers my questions whether or not all 2005 Corolla model carries the 170hp.
  9. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Sounds like its a big improvement. I wonder how old they like you to be before they let you test drive cars?
  10. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    i saw the sticker price for the one i test drove aroudn 20k cuz it came w/ sunroof and side airbags package. only the XRS have 170hp while the rest have the same 130hp.
  11. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    I am thinking of trading my car in too.

I love my car a lot and all. but its small and minor problems have made me lose a bit of my morle in my own car :c

the constant rattles, the gaps in the front and back bumpers, and of course its very very poor gas milage. just barely 25 miles (city plus freeway). I drive like a grandmother for my car and it still has bad gas milage :c

how much do you think I can trade it in for?!?!
  12. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    10,000 if you're lucky
  13. Offline

pnOy_rOlla Guest

Message Count:
    yeah it depends...i'm in the process of trading in my 'rolla right now for the Scino xB, and i'm only gonna get 11,700 for it :? (16550 miles, S with sport package)...oh and i saw an xrs on the freeway yesterday and tried to catch up to it, hehe and gave the guy a thumbs up and i almost crashed with the car in front of me :lol:

JC
  14. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:
    10,000 if I am lucky... damn thats about another 8 grand to go to get the XRS

I guess I will keep my busted up rattling, gas guzzling, paint-chipped corolla.
  15. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
    The only problem I could see, if you drive a lot like me, is that the mileage is rated at 32 mpg (Canadian) highway, while my 03 S is rated at 53 mpg.
    At 75,000km per year, I couldn't afford to drive it.
    Man, I've had Chevy V-8's that gave better mileage than that.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    good thing i live on a tiny rock where everywhere i go is close so the mileage wouldnt kill me too much :D..only bad thing is that we are number 3 on highest gas prices behind cali and oregon.
  17. Offline

CarbonB New Member

Message Count:
    If you really consider a 2003 corolla to be busted up your dreaming buddy.

I mean I have driven some pieces of crap in my day, so maybe that is why I appreciate my car so much.

I wouldn't mind trading it in, but I don't like doing that too often becuase I paid 17k and the car's value drops at an insane rate...
  18. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    Ok, I went to a dealership today and they had a white XRS on the lot. I was the first person to test drive it. All I have to say is........MY CAR SUCKS. The XRS is not the same car at all, as was said earlier, the driver is much more in contol of the car. The steering is very different, in a good way. The suspension is firm in the corners, but smoother over bumps than my car. The seats are much more comfortable mainly underneath your legs. The salesman was kind enough to let me take it on the highway(after it was warmed up of course) and let me tell you in this car on ramps will be your best friend. Lift is awesome! It's not as much of a kick in the arse as the first production 2zzs but the torque is much better. At the end of the on ramp i was doing 85 in 3rd gear. At high speeds the car is incredibly stable. I had the biggest grin on my face EVER!

So back to the dealership we went, this model was priced at just under 20K w/ the moonroof and 6 disc changer. we worked the car down to 19 even and then they went to check out my car. When they returned they had offered me 9k for my car.........as is. No way was i willing to take 9k for my car w/ TRD intake, exhaust, 18's, and hotckis springs. I realize i have 43k miles on it, but they will easily sell it for 13k+. My monthly payment would have been 210 a month for 5 years.

To sum it up, the XRS is awesome, and anyone who buys a 2005 S in 5 speed is stupid, and if you're thinkin of trading in your car for an XRS fugettaboutit cuz you will get raped in the butt.
  19. Offline

hooolala Guest

Message Count:
    ^^ sounds really good..

but i'm getting a 5speed Scion TC next month..
  20. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    r u tradin in ur corolla or just gonna get another 1?
  21. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    so i think the question here is are you parting out? :)

Ya i've been avoiding going to see the XRS, I dont really want to know how upside down i am right now :)
  22. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    Don't drive the XRS unless you can afford it...........that's all i can say.
  23. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    So Nate do you think our car with springs sway bars strut brace would handle better and with supercharger intake chip what not would out perform. I feel like my car would way outperform those but I also have a lot of money into it
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    my bro was in the market for a corolla, so in convinced him to take my corolla and help me buy the XRS.
  25. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    I'm not saying it's faster than a supercharged corolla.........the car just seems better. The steering rack is more responsive. The seats are wonderful. The transmission is amazing. I'm not saying w/ a tuned suspension you wouldnt handle better, it just seems that you don't have to work as hard to control this car. I mean it's stock, and it's damn nice.
  26. Offline

pnOy_rOlla Guest

Message Count:
    just saw an xrs while i was gettin my trade in done for the xB...i didn't get to really check it out since it was just sittin there waitin for the guy who bought it to step out of the financing office...i also saw the new clusters the 05's have and its much better than the 03's...i also love the new headlamps the 05's have...

oh and for my trade, they gave me $13,000: 16,544 miles, S w/ sport package, and didn't take off my Injen intake :lol: ...oh and that's also with some scratches on the back bumper and a small rock chip on the windshield 8)

JC
  27. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Nate- I see what you mean for a stock car its very responsive in all categories. You should try and sell your car to some kid that looks at it and goes damn thats nice and doesnt care about the miles I bet you could get 13 out of it and then only have to pay 6 for the Xrs. You know some 16-18 year old would
  28. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    higher HP? bigger wheels? better suspention? of course its going to be better then a stock non XRS
  29. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    power-wise, supercharged corolla s would win. but handling-wise, xrs tops it. im looking more of handling than power.
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    whats different in the suspension of the xrs compared to our current cars..i know it has the strut tower bar, lower springs, and i think i read upgraded struts somewhere. what else is different?