1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

tC: all its cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MPLexus301, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Offline

MPLexus301 Guest

Message Count:
    tC: all it's cracked up to be?

I've been following scionlife.com forums for a while now, and now that several people are getting out and testdriving them, the reviews haven't exactly been...stellar. I'll post some comments and then the links to the topics-

" Headroom

I mean what was this car built with a midget in mind?! I am only 5ft 8in and it was barely acceptable for me with the seat on the lowestsetting! I must say anyone taller than me had better put in serious time on their test drive to make sure they can hack it."

"Torque.

This is where I was really dissapointed. I have been doing alot of research on comparable vehicles in this class. So far I have driven the TC, the Mazda 3s ( sedan not the wagon) , the Mitsubishi Ralliart, and the Nissan Spec V. While the car isn't gutless, up against the mazda and the ralliart it just doesn't feel as lively. When to compared to the spec v, let's just say the spec walks all over it. Now I know many of you are going to say yeah but the spec is rated at 175hp/180tq that's way more... It's no secret the spec's numbers are inflated. The Mitsubishi Ralliart is rated at 162/162 and believe me after driving one I can say it almost keeps up with the spec. So I felt that with the TC rated at 160/163 it would be in the ball park. Not so. Oh what could have been...."

" Suspension

Like the torque this is another area where I was really hoping for more. The Tc has alot of body roll and feels slugish. I currently drive a Mazda protege and it's no secret that they corner great (they just don't have the horsepower) so maybe I am just being spoiled here but I really feel that if Sion is going to go after the youth market like they say the car should not handle like a you parent's midsize sedan. Give me some handling please. Once again the spec and the mazda are significantly better here. NOTE: I feel that all that really needs to be done remedy this is some stiffer spring rates. So this definately may not be an issue once the TRD or other after market manufacturer's springs hit the market."

"Car looks goofy. Proportions are all wrong. Really, looks more like a chick car to me."

"Also, not enough headroom, power, handling. It's an ok value, but the Mazda, Nissan, Mitsu, and basically a lot of other cars in this range out do it."

"the outside is sort of goofy looking in person its sorta bubblish like a rx8. The pickup wasnt as good as I thought, however interior was roomy, and seemed to be fairly comfortable (didnt ride in it too long). When we took it on the highway we were pretty careful, so maybe I didnt get the full experience because I didnt punch it.

Anyways, I think I am going to go with the xb."

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17008
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17028
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16979

Couple of pics:
    tC with 19" TRD rims:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

TRD's tC Thus far:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Stock car at the dealer:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I still like the car, and will reserve my final judgements until I actually drive one myself, but I'm leaning more towards the XRS at this point. 6spd and more room, plus it's better looking IMO. The rear quarter panel on the tC is just...sort of disappointing.

-Michael-
  2. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    the front looks a little bit like the Lexus IS300, and you got to love those rims. We'll just have to see how much they sell and how popular they get, car wise and performance.
  3. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    the front kinda reminds me of the new bmw 7 series (head lights) or a volvo
  4. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    you're right in both cars. plus the shape of the back looks like an audi a4. i work at toyota and saw it. its a pretty big car. it doesnt look sleek like the celica. it seems longer than the rsx too. its almost corolla-ish lenght even though its shorter
  5. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    It looks small to me. I prefer four doors instead of two. That was another reason why I opted out for the Corolla. Sporty, yet convienent. That's why I love the Evo, STi, and the SRT-4. With the way pricing is going, I may just as well get the SRT-4. What do you guys think? The pricing is very competitve with the XRS and tC but look at how much boost the SRT-4 is putting out. Quite a difference in performance there.

I may regret all the repair work done in the near future, but Dodge probably figured it out by now that they need to make their cars more reliable.
  6. Offline

SERG4U Guest

Message Count:
    I got to sit in the TC today but no test drive was alowed....anywas I'm 5"5 and fits me perfect.......I have back problems from time to time and was afraid that in a coupe it would be hard to get out of (like my 01 cougar)
    Not so...I was able to get out just fine and as far as how the car looks in person I liked it...........did'nt think it was bubblies at all....oh oh oh and the seats sooo nice much better then the 03 rolla thats for sure, and I know I'm in my car 8hr a day(not in a row but you know what I mean)
  7. Offline

MPLexus301 Guest

Message Count:
    No offense, but I think the majority of American Males (the target market here) are a bit taller than 5'5". I'm about 6'1" and unfortunately, from many of the posts I've read, it doesn't seem like the tC is for anyone over 5'9". The XRS however, fits me perfectly... :twisted:

-Michael-
  8. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    i could care less about comfort. If the car's fast, that's what I want. Some people think that comfort is the number one reason in picking out a car. Get a Lincoln Towncar or other full size sedan. Small imports doesn't cut it for those that pursue comfort.
  9. Offline

SERG4U Guest

Message Count:
    lol.....its all good mang thats why I said I was 5"5
    Yeah you know what I notice that if you have a longer half from the wast down(no no I'm not talking about that!) you should fit ok because I notice that where my knees should be with my arms to the streeing wheel my knees were not as bent as it was in the corolla.
  10. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    I was afraid about the torque and performance. Does it only feel so bad compared to the others cause its 3000 lbs?
  11. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    i dunno bout yall but i think a lot of these reviews are about as good as movie reviews :roll:

if i were u i'd wait to make up my mind until i took a test drive... dont even bother reading what other ppl said then go out and form ur own opinion
  12. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    this dealer needs to get a new corolla 8)

The Tc should have been rwd.
  13. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    thedruid said the suspension is softer than our corolla and the automatic tc vs his automatic corolla, he said he'll take his auto corolla
  14. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    yea, im 5'6" :mrgreen:
  15. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    one appeal of the Scion tC is the potential (low compression & 2.4L motor) and the strong aftermarket support that is coming.
  16. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    at any rate there will be Tc fans no matter what.
  17. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    of course haha