1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Tach install

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by E91atmosk, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Offline

E91atmosk Guest

Message Count:
    Tach install

I dont know which genious at Toyota decided to offer a manuel trans car without a tach, but I go tstuck with one. Does anyone knwo how to install an aftermarket tach into the car? I havent taken apart the dash to look but I doubt there will be an extra useful wire back there and I dotn really want to wire it straight into the ecu. my car also seems to be missing the plug under the hood where you can plug in a tach to run diagnostics with.
  2. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:
    what year and trim?

if its 7th gen and u have a DX i believe you can buy the stock cluster with a tach and its plug and play...after market tachs are to tacky and big for my style
  3. Offline

E91atmosk Guest

Message Count:
    I have an 8th gen and the tach I have to install is only 2.5 in in diameter, I want it for reference, not to look cool.
  4. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    what. trim. level?
  5. Offline

E91atmosk Guest

Message Count:
    oh, um, CE, with no options
  6. Offline

SleepinRolla Member

Message Count:
    you can buy an 8th gen tach cluster on for fifty bucks or less and just swap your speedo so that you milage will right will look much cleaner than an afteramrket tach.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    ^^^ agreed.
  8. Offline

monkey4005 New Member

Message Count:
    i swapped mine for 20 bucks off of ebay.. looks way better
  9. Offline

redborja202 Guest

Message Count:
    i swapped mine too 30 bucks off of ebay... and i also got indiglo guages on it... it looks badass... i also changed the bulbs to amber... so the pins light up amber at night with blue/green background... lol...

yeah, ur better off swapping ur cluster...
  10. Offline

E91atmosk Guest

Message Count:
    Cool, I think I have a junkyard run in the near future ^_^, thanks a lot guys
  11. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    If you want to use aftermarket tach, the signal wire is black, just try it one by on and you should be able to find it real quick.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    hey...if you go to Crazy Ray's, do me a favor and look for an 01 corolla front sway bar? i haven't had the chance to get down there yet...
  13. Offline

E91atmosk Guest

Message Count:
    will do. kinda creepy though cause that was exactly where I was planning on going... *shifty eyes*
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    that's the closest to you...i used deductive logic. i'm only a half hour from you in no traffic, dude...i know the area pretty well. ;)
  15. Offline

redborja202 Guest

Message Count:
    man, the junk yards here in chicago doesent have any 8th gens... the newest they got are just early 7th gens...
  16. Offline

nocpan New Member

Message Count:
    look for old induction tach... install is easy ... you wrap the tach wire around shortest sparkplug wire and you are set :) and it will be much cheaper too....

but if you can;t swap out the cluster do get a tach.
  17. Offline

monkey4005 New Member

Message Count:
    on the 8th gens to swap it out all you have to do is pull the plugs out of the old ones and plug it in to the new one. if you do this to one with an outside temp on it you wont have the sencor so it wont work and it will say error. then you might have to get the sencor. i got mine off an old car that no one uses because the dealer wanted $63.00 U.S.
  18. Offline

krazykanuk New Member

Message Count:
    2000 corolla VE tach install

from my old 1999 tercel which was also a manual i ripped out my tach after being t-boned and writing off the car. i now drive a 4 door 2000 corolla ve. since i already have the tach, and the can and am very short on cash as legal fees to fight the ticket and insurance, where could i find the tach signal wire. i know many of you don't like aftermarket tachs.. but i like mine adn how it will loof in the car.

if anyone would know where that tach signal wire is it'd be greatly appreciated if you could let me know.

Thanks
  19. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    I forgot with wire it is. But the signal wire is Black in my 01. You just need to try them one by one (I think there is only like 4-6?) and you should be able to find it. :)
  20. Offline

E91atmosk Guest

Message Count:
    I installed the tach today and the signal wire is definately black. There were a couple of black wires, maybe one per clip of wires ( 4 clips total ), but if you look closely at the back of the gauge cluster itself, you can see that one of teh black wires doesnt connect to anything other then a blank connection. Thats the tach signal wire.
  21. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    Got this pic from other forum.
    The signal wire is in that clip
    [IMG]
  22. Offline

krazykanuk New Member

Message Count:
    i saw that pic aswell
    thanks for the help guys

going to install it today if i get the energy