1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Subwoofer opinion

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Cuztomrollaz98, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Subwoofer opinion

I'm about to buy some subwoofers but I dk what's good, I need ur opinion on which subwoofers u guys prefer that would kick really hard. thankz
  2. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    what size u going with 8 10 12 15 18?
  3. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    My bid for For SQ:

Low $: Kicker CompVR 12"

Mid $: Image Dynamics 12" (don't know the model name)

High $: JL 12W6 or 12W7

Don't flame... this is just to get a debate going. Also, all subs would be in a sealed box.
  4. Offline

prophesized Guest

Message Count:
    that question could not be any broader. you need to tell us budget, how much power you can give them, sound needs, and how much space you have.
  5. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    well they're goin in my 98 corolla, I'm willing to spend a couple of thousand bucks. I want something that kicks bass like no other man sorry I didn't specify lol.......and well I'd like some 12'
  6. Offline

cworkm Guest

Message Count:
    If you have that kind of money go Eclipse everything.
    If you want to save some money go alpine head unit and amp and do infinity subs.
  7. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
  8. Offline

sean2sean Member

Message Count:
    try a infinity perfect in a sealed box... sounds clean and tight...
  9. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I've heard that Eclipse bumps pretty good but I dk lol....... I was thinkin those JL AUDIO W7'S those things bump hard lol but they're quite expensive lol
  10. Offline

Silver_Nitrate New Member

Message Count:
    Look into JL Audio or Audiobahn. Make sure your amp has enough power for them because they can be power hungry. always to look at RMS value and not peak. Most people buy amps and subs that tells them it has 1000 W or more. This is a big misconception. RMS is your normal playing level. this is what the amp and subs require to play constantly. the peak powers that you see is the one note a song can have that would require that much power. It is not constant. Also make sure you have atleast 75% of power for the sub. Example. If you have a 100W RMS sub, you need atleast 75W RMS to get a good sound. Do not underpower or over power your sub or you will either blow the sub or fry the amp. I work at crutchfield www.crutchfield.com and I've seen too many people have that misconception. Either way you go as long as you have a good power of amp to sub ratio, you should be fine. If you want more bass for the buck, invest on the competetion level subs and amps. Here are a few subs that I've seen and heared that are pretty good besides the audiobahn and JL Audio. The Rockford Power Series Stage 1/2/3 are very good. if you go with that, get the power series amp and not the punch. Infinity Kappa perfects are also good. You can have 1 12 and it can beat sombody who got 2 10's if you got some good amps. Stay away from california or us acustics amp. They are a POS. Trust me, get rockford, kicker, kenwood excellon, audiobahn, jl audio and alpine amps. they have good reputations. Get infinity, rockford, kicker, audiobahn, alpine, jl audio. Their subs are good as well.
  11. Offline

JaJae Guest

Message Count:
    I'm going with an Orion H2. If you got the money to spend I'd recommend them or a JL W7. If you're on a budget and want loud look into the Kicker L7. Are you planning on spending $2000 on just the low end of your system or the whole thing? Audiobahn Immortals can get pretty loud. Infinity and Alpine don't get that loud...

The biggest contributing factor is the installation. Make sure you got enough power and your enclosure is built to spec. Having an amp that is too large or too small for your subs won't blow them. Distortion/Clipping will. The biggest misconception in car audio is that having an amp that can produce more power for your speakers is bad; that is not the case. Having an amp that can't produce the RMS rating of your speakers won't blow them either. You don't have to come within 75% of it's rated power either. Forcing either to do something outside of its limits will.

An example of how an amp that is underpowering your sub won't blow it are these prefab amp/sub combinations. Audiobahn makes a 400RMS sub in a basstube matched to a 120RMS amp (ATB12AT). That amp is only giving that sub about 25% of it's rated power handling, let alone 75%.
  12. Offline

yourownreality Guest

Message Count:
    Audiobahn sucks, dont buy it
  13. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I've also found that listening to audio components in the stores will give you a rough and unreliable idea of what they might sound like in your car.

The best way to audition audio components is in a car, so before you buy, go listen to some people's systems, check out their specs and decide what you like and what would sound good in your car. Besides this, there's not that great of a way to know how stuff will sound, besides people's advice.
  14. Offline

cworkm Guest

Message Count:
  15. Offline

theproof Guest

Message Count:
    if you've got that money buy a 13.5 JL w7 those things pound like theres no tomorrow...you could probably get 2 in a sealed box which will basically piss off all your neighbors for 1000yards but that would be most of your money...

if you want loud you can go with the kicker L7 in a ported box...kicker recommends ported boxes for L7 and these things are pretty crazy also...you can usually get a deal on these maybe a 15" in a ported box for 350-400

also another good brand would be digital designs...these things are pretty nuts and the entry level 12s can match a 15" sub these are also pretty expensive subs but well worth the money

as for powering everything the only amps i really trust are JL monoblocks, fosgates, some directed audio amps, and some kicker amps

just cuz an amp is cheap dont buy it like those doodoo sony amps which suck some major ass...if you go cheap on your amp your system will sound like crap...after all if you have enough power you can make generic subs sound good
  16. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Shit I'm ready to put about $4,500 into a system and I'm defenetly going with the W7'S but I would need at least 2 amps but which ones should I get???

P.S I hate that RMS and all those numbers they give me headaches lol I don't get all that too well
  17. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    *snicker*

W7's retail for just under $800, just to let you know. I know they're the shit and all... but please ask yourself if they're really worth that.
  18. Offline

theproof Guest

Message Count:
    whatever you get make sure they are pretty damn powerfull...btw you gonna have to change your speakers and shit cuz your lows are just gonna drown out your highs maybe some mb quarts all around if you can afford em and some tweets

and yeah you'll shovel out $900 for a w7 in a box...its the only reason i never got one because i dont wanna pay that much...they do pound tho
  19. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    my friend from Quality Sound is gonna hook me up with both subwoofers for $1,200 brand new so it's a hell of a deal lol and I'm gonna have to make the cuztom box since I want to take my back seats off lol hmmmm maybe Travis can help me out with that lol
  20. Offline

gnuT22 Guest

Message Count:
    Damn dude... I think my entire system cost me less than 2G's. Don't blow all your cash on SUBS. Well, if all you care about is bass, then go ahead. But just make sure you soundproof the hell out of your car. If you're going to go with the W7's and take out your back seats and all that, I suggest soundproofing your roof and doors and floors (your whole car). Look to spend a few hundred on the enclosure(s) and soundproofing alone.

If you're looking for good all around sound... make sure your other speakers and accessories are up to par. What kind of music do you listen to? What other gear is in your ride? Since you're planning on using the back seat area for the subs, does that mean you'll only be getting your mids/his from the doors??? Remember the most expensive stuff isn't always the best. It's also about the install and the set-up.

Silver-nitrate, sorry, I have to disagree... but USacoustics amps are not POS... I've had a 4CH amp that's lasted me over 6 years with no problems that is now in my brothers car... and I have a 2ch in my Prizm at the moment that has been abused daily with no problems at all.
  21. Offline

theproof Guest

Message Count:
    you dont need to take out your backseats for 2 w7s...what sizes are they? you should have your friend just turn your trunk into an enclosure
  22. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    well i want to take them out not because of lack of space but because of weight reduction lol plus just me and my girl ride along so there's no one in the back seat lol plus I want a totally cuztom set up on this car, somethin nobody has thought of b4 u kno wut I'm sayin.

P.S gnuT22>>>>>I'm planning on spending around 4 G's on a car system so I'm pretty sure that's gotta be enough for the enclosures, sound proofing, subs and amps right? and well all the electrical shit required
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    I tend to disagree......Ive used Audiobahns in the past, and have nothing but praise for em.

If ya want some good subs, go with Koves.
  24. Offline

gnuT22 Guest

Message Count:
    I'm sure 4G's will cover it bro. But I know that when a persons knowledge of car audio is limited... salespeople try to take advantage of that. I just don't like to see folks get ripped off. Get some price 'quotes'. Have someone layout their ideas and set-up and see who has the best gear for the best prices.
    Do your homework on all the equipment to see if it's to your liking. You should have a rough idea of what each component is going to cost ya. Also, ask to see a scrapbook of install photos from the shop you're dealing with. ALL good shops will keep photos of their work, IF you like what you see, and the pricing is fair.. GO FOR IT. Good luck.
  25. Offline

Prodigy3006 Rubber Man

Message Count:
    yea, i just did my whole setup in audiobahn, and i really enjoy it. nothing to complain about here, but i didn't spend four thousand dollars on my setup; i'm not that big on audio. i just wanted something hard hitting and nice.
  26. Offline

Altra Guest

Message Count:
    I also just put in Audiobahn subs and I like em. Sound nice and hit hard.
  27. Offline

1zzRocker Guest

Message Count:
    Hey, right now there is a good deal at crutchfield.com u can finance woofers for about 40 bucks a month. If you pay it off in 180 days, there is no finance charge. <- thats my two cents
  28. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    They have those plans here everywhere in CO but I have the 4 G's cash all ready to go so yea but I'll maybe have that in mind for an in-dash LCD that I want though, thanks 4 d@ tip brah appreciate it big time
  29. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I got a 10W6V2.. too damn loud and heavy

dont go with W7 unless you can afford to get a JL amp as well
  30. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Audiobahn is not bad but I would prefer something better such as JL AUDIO, I dk my sound has always been about JL lol but I should try Audiobahn someday fo zho lol but yea I'm for sure gonna do my hw and have some friends from Quality Autosound help me out, they won't rip me off we know each other from a long ass time lol