1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Street or show...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Syndicate, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Offline

Syndicate Guest

Message Count:
    Street or show...?

...what kind of things or goals are you guys looking for out of your Corolla? Are you interested in simply a nice cruiser or show vehicle or do you want something that's actually quick and handles well?

...while I'm more interested in performance, I was at one time considering showing my car. However, since I have no interior mods planned out side of Sparco pedals and possibly a steering wheel from Toyota Canada I've decide I would not stand a chance in a show w/other people (not just Corolla owners) doing crazy things to their interiors.

...my goals are simple, at least 200hp and 200lb-ft torque to the wheels (w/o nitrous) and a 14.xx quarter mile...I may also auto x my Corolla.
  2. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    I originally hoped to make mine a show car, but I realized that there was way too much work involved. Right now I'm looking at cheap mods for performance.. just something to make the car a bit peppier without sacrificing gas mileage or reliability. And for the sake of looking good and having fun while cruising, I dropped it, added a system, and added a couple of unique touches to differentiate my car from the other Corollas in my area.
  3. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    I might do a little of both street and show......get tha best of both worlds 8)
  4. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    I'm more performance oriented but things that make it look nicer are not out of the picture.
  5. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    Well i am not into neither one. I just want to like put some little things to make it different. I don't want to like make it all showy and stuff. I just want to put a lil of this and that. Here is a lil list of things i want:
    - super white neons
    - Maybe a body kit
    - Windshield LED lights (too hard to install)
    - VW Jetta side markers (really want this, but no one wants to install it)
    - A cute spoiler

:?: Is it possible to make the Corolla have over 200 hp??? If it is, how do you do it?? :?:
  6. Offline

akira2003 Guest

Message Count:
    right now i am into looks and sound, i love the sound of my exhaust and intake, plus soon with tint and rims, w/lowering springs will make me just happy! :twisted:
  7. Offline

Syndicate Guest

Message Count:
    ...yes the 1ZZ-FE can produce over 200hp, this can be seen in the several MR2 Spyders and Celica GTs that have accomplished or surpassed the 200hp mark. For one it's going to require some form of forced induction :D
  8. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    supercharger........CAI.........header......exhaust......better cams.......pulley.....might make it to 200hp
  9. Offline

imported_Zero New Member

Message Count:
    honestly my car is far from what u can call a show car...and i have no performance mods so i couldn't be street!
    lol i guess i'm ur regular ol ricer! :wink: :p :lol: 8)

ah a supercharger would be the prescription i'm looking for :twisted: back up my car's appearance w/ some performance...the only issue is the funding :? :(
  10. Offline

TravisB New Member

Message Count:
    I don't want to street race or anything like that and I don't want to go to car competitions. I just want to have a nice looking car that is fun driving. So far, it is working out great. Asking the local installer how much it would cost for the TRD springs and install, then I guess that is what I shall be getting. After that, I'll probably get a new reciever then go from there with the stereo. If money permits, I will do small upgrades for performance, such as exhaust and intake.
  11. Offline

SolidSnake Guest

Message Count:
    I originally wanted a simple exhaust...that led to a CAI, which led to springs, which led to Altezza lights......(get the picture?) Car modification is like getting a tattoo. You promise yourself just one small one, and two years later you've got a bunch of em! I'm really looking for a nice set of wheels/rims right now, but don't want to spend a grand for em....I'm also considering a JET chip, but will hold out until a definate price for the TRD S/C comes out.
  12. Offline

RazeRolla Guest

Message Count:
    i'm more into sound than show. i like listening to a good quality sound system when im rollin'. but then again, like what solidsnake said, after a few months or just weeks after the last MOD is installed, i'll be wanting something different. time will only tell. as for now i purchased a sound system for my car but havent installed it yet.

Pioneer 9400 (mp3/wma)
    MB quart component speakers
    2 10" solobaric subs
    lightning 1 farad cap
    MTX 8100d class D mono amp
    Sony Xplod 720w 2way amp

future mod:
    mb quart 6x9 2 way speakers
    trd or tein springs
    rims
  13. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    The "S" model already looks fine for stock. Which is why I am focused more on performance. I'm doing a little bit of both, more performance though. Got to get some TRD springs later.
  14. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    dayum, talk about thread revival :D . i want my car to have a nice clean, yet agressive look. but i also want decent sounds and added handling & performance as well. i think i spend equal amounts of money when it comes to looks vs performance mods.
  15. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count:
    mine is more street w/ lil touch of show. i got hotchkis suspension going, hotchkis sway bars, exhaust. thats all i can afford for now. saving up for tein ss suspension and some rims to start getting into auto-x
  16. Offline

Dimsum New Member

Message Count:
    I'm going for greatest gain in MPG and sound + a CAI & exhaust. Maybe even a header. No S/c though cause if i was going for speed i would of got another car. It'd just be too much money for speed and looks so i guess you could call me a ricer also. I just want a nice looking car, good sound system and maximize my corning abilities. currently my mods i want/have are:
    [x] TRD Springs
    [x] Vuteq grill
    [ ] Body Kit
    [ ] Lightweight rims
    [x] Sway Bars (Still waiting to receive them in mail)
    [ ] Strut Bars
    [x] AEM CAI (thx Vince)
    [ ] Thermal RnD Exhaust
    [ ] HKS Circle Earth System
    [ ] Sound system
    [ ] New Headers
    And thats all i could think of right now.
  17. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Hmm...

I can understand wanting to personalize your vehicle and make it better in some areas. But, really, if you want 200hp, you bought the wrong car.

For the amount you'd spend on getting it there, you could buy a car that gets that and more stock. The Corolla is a great fuel-efficient, reliable, well-built car. It's not a sports car or a luxury car. If super high performance is what you're after, you're probably better off getting something else.
  18. Offline

Schoat333 New Member

Message Count:
    yea sure if i wanted to have a car with over 200hp that anyone could go buy then i would have gotten a EVO or WRX one of those cars but id rather have a challenge of building up a car to blow them away... its very possible with these toyota engines and if i had the money itd be done already but school comes before car so havent gotten that far yet.
  19. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    i just want my car to be individual. show, street, whatever, im just adding what i like :D
  20. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    wow I havent seen this thread for a loooooong time

im still continuing mods for both
  21. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    corolla s 15000 est + 4000 turbo and stuff = 200+ hp, low insurance, >$20k
    WRX 30K = insurance alone enough to put this in yet another league
    EVO 30K = gawd awful plastic interior, and high insurance.
    (lets not argue the price of the cars mentioned, there close enough for this discussion...)

in many ways your right, but for those of us whose funds are dedicated elsewhere, (mine is funneled here) this IS the right car. even a modded corolla will never be a race winner, but it will be fast enough to get out of its own way, and won't cost an arm an a leg month after month the entire time I own it.

IMO insurance alone is the killer on most of these factory tuner cars, and i'm 33 with a clean record. i can only imagine what some of these kids parents must pay to put them in these rides....

really the SRT-4 is the only car that makes a real arguement, but gads its a NEON. taking insurance out of the equasion (but in the real world... :( ) its the place to be. near 230 WHP out of the box for the price of a turbo'd rolla. and you get brakes, rims, and suspension for "free"
  22. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Not only can you make our cars 200 hp but the greatest thing is not having anyone know why your car is fo fast. If you have a wrx an sti or evo or any of those everyone knows you are fast. Where is the fun in that. The fun is when you can hang with those cars.
  23. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    that same stealth factor will help keep the local LEO's looking at the other guy.

(but were dreaming if we think we are going to hang in that group of cars. they have mods too :) we are about maxed out where they start from the factory)
  24. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    If I get my car to 250 hp and I only weight 2650 I can hang with an evo that isnt modded. So really we can definilty hang with them. Not off the line though :)
  25. Offline

TheBeak Guest

Message Count:
    i spent the time since my last post looking for a vid i saw. it was a matrix XR/SC (auto, i believe) vs a modded wrx (evo maby, dont remember, it was yellow) ill look some more, was awsome vid.

anyway, that trix is pretty fast by trix/corolla standards (hampered by the tranny), and the yellow car left it like it was standing still. you hear the puff of the BOV on the other car and hes out of the frame....
  26. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    That was larry's car on MO and he didnt even try because that was a 12 second evo there was no point for him too they got paired together randomly. Those evos are mid 13's- high 13's stock so I can hang with them when I am at that point