1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Stiffer motor mounts for 8th gen

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by GSE21tuner, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Stiffer motor mounts for 8th gen

Is there any place where I can get stiffer motor mounts? In particular, the dog bone mount. The closest I can find are these:
    http://www.racepages.com/fr1/parts/...45e613d373c2e&kwd=Toyota Corolla Engine Mount
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORO...009QQitemZ190180153617QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
    Ever since I had my exhaust redone where the muffler shop welded in a flex pipe from the race header to the downpipe, I've had an annoying rattle from the flex hitting the front sway bar. There's only about 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the two. If I could stop the engine from vibrating and rocking so much, the rattling would go away. I'm sure the motor mounts are going bad anyways. I have over 130K miles on the car anyhow. Anyone know? :)

Another option would be to make my own motor mounts? Anyone have experience doing this?
    http://www.raktron.com/misc/mt.htm
    http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

I just found this searching... Will these Matrix mounts work?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700 400008 300536 4294907680 115&autoview=sku
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The one thing to remember is the left and right mounts support the weight of the engine while the front and rear mount controls torque. It is usually the front and rear mount that gets worn and those are the two mounts that needs to be stiffen up to stop engine movement. Also as far as I know, our car dont have a dogbone mount.. I'm sure mines dosen't

This is what I did,
    http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catalog/engine_mounts/mounts.asp

The exception is I use a 93 score urethane from Devcon along with Devcon Primer..

It didnt work out too well in the end, the urethane seems to have vibrated itself out of the motor mount housing even though I used the primer..

I recently contacted speed source regarding these
    http://www.speed-source.net/products/polymount.htm

They asked me to send them the measurements of my mounts and they will see if they had a application that will work, I have yet to email them back.. I relly need to purchase a set of digital veneer calipers.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I might just have to go with speed source as well. I was reading up on DIY mounts on TN and those mounts didn't last too long either. In most cases, people used windshield repair epoxy. Liquid urethane has been used too.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The thing is that I don't have spare mounts to DIY with since it takes the urethane 3-5 days to cure. This car is my daily driver, so I'd have to buy an old or new set of motor mounts.

Do you know if the 7th and 8th gen mounts use the same mounts? I think I can come up with a set of digital veneer calipers. I think I might know someone who owns a set. :D We should probably start up a group buy. LOL :)
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    from what it looks like the 6th, 7th and 8th gens has simular looking front and rear mounts (i dont remember how the 9th looks like).. I don't know for sure without having them all sitting there together.

I have my old set of mounts in the storage room so I can easily measure them if I had the caliper.. I'm just too lazy or busy (but mostly lazy) to drive down to harbor freight to pick up a set. I'll get around to it this summer..
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I'll see if I can pull them out and measure them this summer as well. This engine rocking is driving me crazy!

I'm thinking maybe I can get the welding on the flex redone again at an angle so that it isn't sitting as close to the sway bar right now. But I'm afraid that's going to be more expensive than just replacing the motor mounts.
  6. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    im going to go out on a limb here and suggest the 8th and 9th gen mounts are similar since they both use the ZZ engines. i purchased a set of energy suspension torque (they call them engine mounts) mount inserts for $35 shipped from a company called www.majormods.com

if they dont work, than youre only out 35 bucks and you can probably sell them pretty easily. if they do work, than you do some R&D for the 8th gen corolla and will have gotten exactly what you want.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Ok, thanks! I'll check it out.
  8. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah owners with 9th gens mostly buy energy suspension. I would guess they fit also.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    dosen't hurt to try but i'm going to stay with speed source.. i'm not too big of a fan of inserts.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Keep me posted on the speed source.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    LOL looking back at this brings back memories. And yes, Speed Source is the shop that made my motor mounts. LOL :D

btw, for those who have replaced their motor mounts already, how did you replace your rear mount? The cross member has to be removed in order to replace it.