1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Speaking of Camaros...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 97PrizmLsi, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Offline

97PrizmLsi Guest

Message Count:
    Haha, dude 400HP is 400HP. Yours and my engine are jokes. How can the the Corvette compete with cars double and triple it's price?...via the pushroad V8 (5.7L, about 350HP depending on the version, 400 sounds about right to me). The ferrari 612 scaglietti uses a 6.0L V12 and makes about 530 hp, 450 torque (probably around what the camaro will make...torque is american), and costs 250,000. You don't call that inefficient, it has 4 more cylinders. How can the Cadillac CTS-V get into the 13s with a heavy ass body, as well as the 300 Hemi C. You guessed it...Why don't you do a little research on the ol' 2valve per cylinder pushroad v8, you may be surprised with it's high points. Car and Driver had a good article about the 8 in the issue with the high end sports coupes. You don't see any naturally aspirated, hell, even turbo imports in the US making 13 flat stock. Wait a second, look again. Still none. Too bad, most imports still slow :(

EDIT:

Oh one more quick fact. Toyota uses a PUSHROD V8 to power the NASTruck they will be competing with...damn how about that, why not DOHC 4 valves? There's a thinker. Also, do you think Toyota would even go as far as making a production pushrod eight for their full sized trucks?
  2. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    yeah...this is kindof old news. they got rid of it to kill that chassis, and they're bringing it back completely redesigned.
  3. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Speaking of Camaros...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/i...?showtopic=2294

I was reading clubsi and came across this. Apparently GM has plans to reintroduce the Camaro. And it won't be a craptastic piece of shit this time!
  4. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    wow- a 6.0L version w/ nearly 400hp, thatll be great!
  5. Offline

copies98corolla Guest

Message Count:
    someone post the picture please
  6. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    how was it a craptastic peice of shit for 4th gen?
  7. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Domestics are champion of making inefficient engines. I mean, a gas guzzling 6.0L producing just 400 HP. That must be a joke??
  8. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    because nastruck won't let them Toyota has to use the parts that the 3 other companyies have.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    no, but your inability to see the difference between that motor and your own is.
  10. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Where did you get the idea that I was trying to compare a 130 HP engine with a V8?? I was talking in context of fast cars and my car has nothing to do with any of this.

11. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    i didnt know they were bringing it back
  12. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    I don't know man. A 6L engine is a huge discplacement engine. Most SUVs even do not get this big an engine. I would have expected close to 500 HP and close 550 foot pounds torque, but it is just an analogy. Oh well :)

13. Offline

ShinmaTsunami T-elos Rider

Message Count:
    I'm looking forward to seeing some pics. I just hope the handling is better than the new GTO. Apparently the handlng sux.
  14. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    well, when a car's all about engine-you have to sacrifice some other aspects...like handling, ride comfort, noise,...
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    when you go for pure speed, EVERYTHING ends up being sacrificed. there's a reason the 1kHP old stangs and camaros/'birds are pretty much track cars.
  16. Offline

prophesized Guest

Message Count:

ok lets mod your 4 banger so that it is making the same amount of power as the camaro. now lets put them on dyno roller things and run them at redline to see how they hold up. while your 4 cylinder commits suicide the camaro will barely be warm.
  17. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    To be fair, a 250-300hp Corolla (maybe with a 3S-GTE) could probably keep up with, if not spank, a 400hp Camaro due to the weight of the respective cars. A Rolla wouldn't have to make the same power to be competitive. That's the joy in modding these little s*** boxes!! :D
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    agreed...but to get to that kind of HP you're spending money out the wazzoo. with that kind of money, it's easy enough to get a grand out of a V8.
  19. Offline

prophesized Guest

Message Count:

i was talking about reliability and not performance. i didnt mean an actual dyno, just the rollers they use.
  20. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Now, I am f**g pissed off. There is some other idi*t on this board who said the samething and insulted my car and my perception as you did. For f*ks sakes USE YOUR BRAIN and stop comparing A 130 HP CAR WITH A V8 CAR!!!!!!!!! WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT A CAR WITH A CERTAIN ENGINE, YOU TALK IN CONTEXT OF FAST CARS IN THE SAME CLASS!!!!! LOOK AT A F***G SUPRA AND SEE WITH A #L ENGINE IT CAN PRODUCE 1100 HP.

21. Offline

Message Count:
    whoa...simmer down now dude. i misinterpreted you before...and i PMed you about it. calm it down, this is just a messageboard online.
  22. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I haven't driven the new GTO, but I've heard the handling doesn't exactly suck. Also, I think handling will be much improved with this new Camaro.

In order to lure people away from buying a new Mustang (which will handle pretty well) and imports, like the 350Z and WRX, the new Camaro will HAVE to handle well. You can count on that.
  23. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, my apologies for losing it since I read it twice in a row. I did not receive any PMs from you so I did not know. Anyway, ignore my last post.
  24. Offline

prophesized Guest

Message Count:

ok supras can make 1100 hp whats your point? you think that v8 cant do the same?

btw, the corvette gets about 19/28 mpg. thats almost the same as my camry.
  25. Offline

97PrizmLsi Guest

Message Count:
    Hey, sorry I pissed you off. I obviously knew you weren't trying to compare our motors, I was just being dramatic, maybe I took it a little too far. I apologize. But I don't stand idley by while a cool car takes a bashing, and in this forum it's usually a domestic, though I feel that is forum has come around a lot as compared to the past. If we are talking about in the context of speed, 400 HP in a stock vehicle that will sell for under $60,000 (i'm guessing, also too lazy to go back to the article), in my opinion, is a great deal.

As far as a 6.0L gas guzzler...the Corvette uses a 5.7L motor and makes 350hp as stated. A .3L increase in a stock motor yielding around 50 more horsepower sounds resonable to me. I am guessing this car will be able to make the 12s easily, as the Corvette already runs extremely low 13s with a smaller motor. For the record the Z28s and Trans Ams with the LS1 V8 made mid to low 13s stock.
  26. Offline

prophesized Guest

Message Count:
    i am sure it will cost the same as the last camaro because if it is more expensive then that people would just move up to the vette.
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    not always...both cars have diehard fans.
  28. Offline

FUNKMAN Guest

Message Count:
    for sake of comparison lets look at an 02 Camaro and an 02 honda s2000. chevy has a 5.7 L and honda has a 2L engine. the honda gets 26mpg on the freeway and the chevy gets 25 mpg on the freeway. the camaro is WAY heavier and FASTER and it makes 340ftlbs of torque while the honda makes "snicker snicker" 153 ft lbs of torque and yet they get almost identical fuel mileage. I would call that a gas Sucking 2 liter engine, not the chevy 5.7L.

oh yeah s2000 msrp was 10K more!!

to make it more fair lets take the "gas guzzling" 5.7 in the vette to compare to the s2000. now it has 400 ft-lbs of torque and gets 28 mpg!!! that is 247 more foot lbs of torque and it gets 2 MPG better then a little 2.0L in a honda. that is sad.

(All information was verified on autotrader car comparison)
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    while the Japanese are good at stuffing power into a small space, the pure, raw, harnessed power in a V8 is always a god match for them...the only issue the V8s have, really, is the weight issue. take care of that and you have one fast-as-hell car.
  30. Offline

97PrizmLsi Guest

Message Count:
    I really think there is an "American Revolution" taking place. Not just with V8 powered cars, but cars like the SRT-4, Cobalt SS, and the new convertible that chrylser is putting out (forgot the name doh!, but is powered by a TT v6 that is said to be able to make 13s). The Pushrod powered vehicles that are coming out are just astonishing. I am thinking the CTS-V and the 300 Hemi C will displace higher end cars like Mercedes and Bimmers, and of course America will gain back what it has lost of the sporting car market, which can't be bad, because the imports will hopefully offer competitive cars at competitive prices, so we all win.