1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

~* Speakers or Stereo? *~

Discussion in 'Interior' started by snuggles, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    ~* Speakers or Stereo? *~

Ok i have a question, if i really want the music quality to be *super* in my car, do i change the speakers or the stereo??? People keep telling me different things. Some say stereo and some say speakers. So i am having a hard time deciding. I mean the music plays fine in the car, but it is the speakers or the stereo that would make the music sound better???
  2. Offline

Pred Guest

Message Count:
    i ahve the same question, ive been offered 2 alpine subs for $100 from a friend, or else i would get a new stero/HU i guess youd call it, im a stereo n00bie :D
  3. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    hey pred if those subs are type r's than you better jump all over those :)
  4. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    changing the headunit makes a big difference in the sound because that sort of to speak pushes the speakes to the limit. to be honest with you, i've upgraded my speakers and my friend who installed hooked his head unit to my factory speakers just for fun and the OE headunit doesn't even push them to the limit, the sound out of his Head unit was much much better.
  5. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Depends on what you mean by you want the "music quality to be super".

If you want a better musical balance with crisper highs and deeper lows, then replace the speakers.

If you want it louder, replace the head unit. Just be careful. Most aftermarket head units have enough power to blow the stock speakers.
  6. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    i say go with the cd player first. i love mine i can actually turn it up loud enough to hear it while i drive with my windows down. but i am planing on gettin new speakers around christmas. just plan on eventually changing your speakers if you listen loud as your speakers will adventually go due to more power. but they may last a few years or more if you dont listen loud all the time
  7. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    This question has been brought up so many times, and the answer is that either a new headunit and new speakers along will improve the sound quality a lot. Personally I changed the headunit first and immediately noticed much better sound quality. Some other people changed the speakers first also said that the sound was much improved. So I guess both ways are ok.
  8. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    So i am just better off changing both of them. Cuz theres more speakers than the headunit thing, so i think i might just change the headunit thing first then. I want one that can play cd's, mp's and DVDs and then eventually i'll put a monitor in the car. It'll be sooo nice. Anybody know a good brand???

If the headunit breaks your speakers, does the warranty cover it??? Cuz if it blows up, shouldn't the warranty cover it??
  9. Offline

xtm "Member"

Message Count:
    I've never heard of a headunit that can blow a speaker. If you drive it into clipping (distortion) for long periods of time, your HU would go first way before your speakers do, that is IF you are not using an amplifier to power them.
  10. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    But if he jumps all over them won't he break them?

hee heeeeee......paybacks..... :lol:
  11. Offline

oddfish Guest

Message Count:
    Its to test how sturdy the boxes are :wink:
  12. Offline

TRDFAN Guest

Message Count:
    I agree that by upgrading both speakers and HU or either of the two is helpful but you can also add an amp which will increase the quality of the sound and you will be able to play it louder without distortion. You can go with a 4 channel amp but it's more expensive, can also get a 2 channel one and bridge it two all the speakers.
  13. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    What's an HU?? What is the difference between an amp and speakers???
  14. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    an HU is short for Head Unit or CD player or what ever you put in your dash.
    an amp is what powers your speakers. most Headunits have a built in amp but it is very weak especially the factory ones. that is why i recomend changing your CD player first and speakers second. most aftermarket headunits like sony, alpine, jvc, etc offer a good amount of power (more powerful amp) and will make your speakers sound better. for the best sound most people will have a seperate amp for there speakers so they get even more power. but they allso run realy good speakers. and unless you want to put lots of money in your car stereo a good cd player and some better speakers will sound really great in the car. I have a alpine CD player with my factory speakers and it sounds 100 times better. i can now hear my cd player with the windows open crusin down the highway something i could not do before. i still have a limit on how loud i can turn my stereo up i have turned it up to 21 which is as high as i have gone so far. I can go from 0 - 35 and 21 is really really loud. any louder and my ears would hurt like after a concert. but that is also the limit of my factory speakers if i want to go louder than that i will need to replace my speakers for better ones. but i dont want to confuse you as im getting confused myself hope i answered your question with my story above. i just start typing and before i know it i wrote a story.
  15. Offline

Misinformation Police Guest

Message Count:
    In Layman's Term:

Speakers = The round thingies that produces SOUND. Your cellphone HAS a speaker, your Boombox has one, etc etc

Amp = Short for "Amplifier" is what makes a small signal BIG SIGNAL. Think of it as a megaphone (you know the ones that your cheerleading squad uses to say "Go.. Go Go Toros.. that one) The cheerleader is a small signal, the Megaphone Amplifies the signal to make it a BIG SIGNAL, which means LOUDER SOUND.

Your Head Unit has a built-In amplifier, BUT-- that is NOT the kind of "Amp" that they are talking about-- they are talking about a REAL, EXTERNAL Amplifier, which is ususally about SEVERAL times more powerful and cleaner than the one that is built-in in your head unit. Here's an AMPLIFIER:

[IMG]