1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Spark Plugs Confusion..

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by MstwntdFlip, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Offline

MstwntdFlip Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Spark Plugs Confusion..

Alright i have a 01 corolla.so the story goes on like this
    I decided to change my spark plugs since i haven't changed them in such a long time.
    bought the NGK spark plugs everything was set. I unbolted the bolts that were holding the spark plugs down.
    Here is where the problem occurs. 3 of them came out without a problem
    but the one in the middle was kind of stuck.
    i could almost pull it out but the fuel rail was in the way. i didn't know what to do.
    i tried every angle to try to get it out but the edge of the spark plug cover ( or that thing that hold the sP was right under the fuel rail
    so my uncle came in we literally just broke that plastic part that was causing the problem.
    So the question is in order to replace the spark plugs on a 2001 corolla do you need to take out the fuel rail or anything. i was just wondering since it was literally impossible to take that last piece out without breaking it

and yes i checked on DIY's but it never said anything about taking the fuel rail out or anything like that just unplug and plug.
    HELP?
  2. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    There are four coil packs. Each one is being held down with a 10mm bolt. All you have to do is remove the bolt on each coil pack, unplug all of them and remove the packs. Ive never had any problems with it.
  3. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    pictures would be helpful too
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    yeh exactly kk i will post up pictures. i thought i wouldn't have a hard time with them till i got to that single one, ill post pics tomorrow. i already broke the edge of the coil packs so yeh...
  5. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    are you the original owner? if not, maybe something happened with the previous owner.
  6. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I think I had to remove the connectors to the fuel injectors when I replaced my plugs. It wasn't that hard though
  7. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    I know that wiring harness runs pretty close to the coil on plug igniters - might be worthwhile to loosen the wiring harness - should be a couple of 10mm nuts holding that on, should be able to loosen it and swivel it out of the way.

Weird that the fuel rail is in the way - I just looked at mine not too long ago, and the fuel rail is plenty far away. Possible that something got shifted and got in the way.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    sorry pics will be up tom got too busy