1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Some bad news...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 93geoprizm, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    Some bad news...

or good, depending on who reads this since i got so many haters here

Basically in a nutshell, it was raining today, car oversteered while i was going around this turn (frist time its oversteered in my 3 years of ownership), drivers side got the impact (this was around 30mph), frame is def bent. Other than that, new new front bumper and driver side panel. No one was hurt, it was just me and my wife. So guys how much $$$ am i lookin at spending? I know someone else here recently had his frame straightened, cant find the thread.

Few quick pics

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    uuuh.... bad

get the firewall check and underbody just in case...

but it'll buff out

if you ask me, it'll be frame pull, bumper, lights, fender, hood if that corner is bent.
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Keep in mind that you can attempt to straighten the frame, but it will never be fully straight ever again. Perhaps you can find another Prizm to swap the parts onto and scrap this one?
  4. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    oh i know its bad but survivable. I know what illl need now and yea everything will be looked at but from visual inspection, firewall looks fine, bottom i guess well find out. Any idea on how much all this can cost? Im thinkin at least $1k

nothing is gonna be perfect, i know that but if its as close as it can get to being perfect, im fine with that, not like im gonna track this car. Ive had no steering issues, only thing is aligment is off now. I drove that car 60 miles after this impact right from the freeway and other than loud noises, which were comin in the cabin due to the engine being slightly off of its normal position, i assume. Wont know unless everything is checked.

It all depends on how much $$$ this will take. If its too much, i might just sell it and get something different.
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    in Puerto rico, something like this costed me about 850... can't remember how much in total... been two years. and that was adding radiator support

so that being in usa... some... 1300~1600?
  6. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    ^wat he said.

PROS-
    make it into race car/daily driver for you :)
    give me ur wheels

CONS
    not safe for future family/kids
    giving me ur wheels

mine wasnt as bad yours but cost somehwere around the same.
    sold the car since i have family now. im more concerned about safety. lol
    so im still looking for another corolla )=
  7. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    it's not that horrible you know...

if you wanna be super safe buy a Excursion and own the road literally
  8. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    or a HUMMER. 1st ones. lol
    BIG A$$ TRUCK!! sit 4 adults accross the back row.
  9. Offline

FolkenStrategos Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It all depends on your wallet men. I would take this as a sign to get a different car.
  10. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I guess you don't have full coverage insurance? I'd probably do what Rolla said and try to find another car and you can swap the parts out. If not, then just get another car and try to part this one out. You can get some good money for Toyota parts.
  11. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    if i can get all this done under a grand im fine
  12. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    1500, straightening body can be spendy. finding ebay parts will be easy and chep.
  13. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    like what parts?
  14. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ah sorry to see that man, I like you car a lot too, bummer.
  15. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    NNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQ:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:W!!!!!!

its horror movie for me.......... :(
    but it will survive....lol
    i say if u find a decent body man... i say around6-7bills at the most... i had my 240sx straighten out for 8bills even and it was 10x worse than yours... put it this way, the driver side head light was front of my passenger side mirror.... it was bad, but i love my 240sx and i got it fixed.. lol

more drifting like an idiot!! FTW
  16. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    as much as i like making fun of the home depot kit, it does suck to crash a car.

really, a race car? bent frame on top of it being a prizm makes it worthless as a race car.
  17. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    lol... sportier than stock* there we go :p
  18. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Oversteered or understeered? Normally, oversteer - you hit the a$$ end of the car - unless the car hooked almost completely around and the front end jammed into the inside of the turn. Depending on how it was hit, could influence what else needs to be looked at. Fortunately, sounds like a low speed hit, nothing obviously leaking from the powertrain, damage limited to the front clip.

Hard to tell by the pics - but is the area around the driver's side strut mount wrinkled or cracked? How do the doors line up (even gap front to rear, side to side)? How does the trunk line up, even? If it is just the exterior body panels - probably $500-$800 bucks, if you do it yourself (new body panels, prep, paint, alignment, chassis check, etc.). Less if you are decent at metal work - should be able to pound most of that back, reshape with dollys and spoons. If the frame definitely needs to be pulled, could be looking at a minimum of a grand.

Just wondering the extend of the damage to the unitbody - as you could pull the frame more or less back into line, but if the tower area is damaged - the car will unlikely drive the same way ever again. It can be fixed though - sometimes, the repair will actually make that corner of the car stronger (new methods to pull body damage out). But also with that - tons of squeaks and rattles may result in the process.

If the car has sentimental value - might try and repair it. Would make a decent project or spare car. But personally, I would cut my losses and instead pump the money into another car (assuming the frame needs to be pulled).

Give you an upper number figure - I was involved in an accident about 12 years ago in my old Camry (tapped from behind by a truck down a highway off-ramp - same sort of damage, but extended front and rear - didn't touch any of the sides, trunk and hood were OK, car was driveable - basically punched the front and rear of the car at roughly 25-35 MPH. Front had to be pulled 1 1/2", rear was withing 3/4" - driver's side fender, front and rear bumper covers, front and rear bumper cores, misc brackets, trim clips, both front lamp and corner assemblies, both rear lamp and corner assemblies, minor body work, prep, primer, rust preventative, metallic paint - cost their insurance $7000 and change.
  19. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I love your posts. Makes me feel stupid, but I learn so much every time.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I was wondering the same thing. It definitely looks like an understeer accident rather than an oversteer one.
  21. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    ^^ Hard to say for sure, unless we were right there. Could be a combination of oversteer and fighting to regain control that caused the front end to plow into something less forgiving. Can't really tell from a static picture - skid marks would help though - as you can see how hard the car really hit. A 30MPH hit can vary too - depends on how it hit. A glancing 30MPH hit - you could "almost" buff that stuff out. 30MPH head on - total the car.

My Camry's front end almost look exactly like that - stuff was sort of pushed in, lamp assemblies hanging - car was still driveable too. Coupled with similar damage in the rear (from the truck impact - straight on) - $7K + change. Doesn't look so bad until they add the stuff up.
  22. Offline

Unique102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Its gonna be pretty pricey for a decent job. I don't think you will be able to get it fixed anywhere for under a grand. My friend had a dent and some scrapes on his rear quarter panel and the cheapest estimate he got was 700. I deff wouldn't go cheap when it comes to body work. That being said, I think its time for her to retire. Part out the whole car and make some extra money and get a newer car, or another Prizm.
  23. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    post some pics of the frame. The pics posted look like new bumper, lights, driver's side fender, and new paint.
  24. Offline

93geoprizm Active Member

Message Count:
    Yes it oversteered. I countersteered to keep the back in but was late in doing so. Also it was astrange kind of oversteer. The steering wheel went very light, almost got no feedback from it. I can pretty surely say this was due to tires cause half way through the turn it happened. I think the grip in the rear tires was not as strong which would make sense, more grip up front, less in the rear would cause any car to oversteer. But anyways, ive gotten quotes of $500 with everthing fixed so well find out soon

i dont have pics with any of the parts removed but like you mentioned, those are pretty much all the parts i need.
  25. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Damn dude just glad it wasn't worse.
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I guess that makes sense. Hopefully it will stay as close to 500 to repair.
  27. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    I can pretty surely say its not the tires. the 8th gen corollas are very unbalanced in front to rear weight distribution. You can have the grippiest tires and you'll still lose control if your rear losses grip. I used to play around by sliding the rear tires at low speeds when it rained for fun. 90% of the time I spun out. I thought it was just my driving ability but turns out that weight distribution played a larger part. 3 years ago, I totaled my corolla when spinning out on the highway on ramp and my stupid self decided to counter hoping I can regain control since I've done it a few times before. well. didn't work out and my car spun regardless and got hit by a semi truck. (my first experience with the airbag too). I don't know if any one here remembers when we did our meets but when I lowered my car slightly and put on wider tires, that helped with the traction a bit and all the crap i had in the boot to put more weight to the rear also helped too. Anyway, anyone driving an 8th gen, I will caution them to be careful. After totaling two corollas and seeing my friend get into multiple accidents with his corolla, i decided not to buy another 8th gen.

Hope you can fix your car. its still a great car as long as you don't total it or think you can do some crazy tricks with the car. hehe. I do miss the gas mileage I got on my car though..
  28. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    That's nice to know, but he has a Prizm, and it's the equivalent of a 7th gen Corolla.
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    They're technically the same chassis with different motors.
  30. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:

I used to do the same in the empty mall parking when I got my proxes4 when new... lol I was like lol... it's still easy to skid!