1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Socket/harness upgrade

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by CaptainCorolla, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    Socket/harness upgrade

I ordered a socket/harness upgrade from eBay, a Nokya set. Anyone done this mod? It looks like I have to cut off the old socket and splice the new one on. Is this correct? Any problems/issues anyone has run into with this?
  2. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    Yup thats all you need to do. Cut and reconnect the new ones. I did it on my car and its simple. I don't think it even matters if you accidently wire the 2 wires wrong cause it still work when I did it. I had no clue my fuse went out so all I thought I need to do was switched them and it wasn't it casuse it was the fuse. But it still works the same.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    I went a step further and ordered a male socket set, that way it's 100% reversable and transferrable to my new car, plus I don't have to try to do any splicing or wiring under the hood in close areas. I can't wait to get the goddamn parts, my bulbs came in yesterday, so I'm waiting for the sockets and male plugs. I got some Nokya stage II 90/100W bulbs.
  4. Offline

Laz Z Kay "n00B, be kind"

Message Count:
    Imo, the Nokya one is kinda chessy. I got this on my rolla.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    looks like its a good quality, but I didn't know H4's could be used?
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    The seller has different kinds of harness on sale. I got my 9005/9006 harness from this seller also.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Doesn't that kit up the voltage output to your bulbs?
  8. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    Wire gauge shouldn't affect voltage..should it?

*clueless*
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    I think it does, because it hot some kind of module with it.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, I'm hesistant to try those. I'm more interested in a straight socket.
  11. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    So if I'm trying to upgrade my stock 9005/9006 headlights to H4, would this harness be a good buy? I'm not too worried about the voltage, as I'll just buy some nice PIAA bulbs that can take the increased power.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Those are good harness. I had those when I had my 2000 rolla. I took some before and after pics at the same place. It does make a slight different. Highly recommended.
  13. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    And what about the corner lights for the JDM headlights? Can anyone point me to a specific harness I can use the rewire the JDM corners? Will a harness work for that, or will I need to solder/splice some things?
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    You probably have to cuz I dont see any headlight socket conversion kit out there.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Like I said on my PM's getting the harnesses aren't that difficult. For your corner lights the jdm ones work like the 98-02 corollas where it used as the parking lights and turn signal. If you get a 1157 harness like the same ones for your rear tailights, you should have no problem. Once you get the harness there should be like 4 wires if not three. 2 wires for seperate positive leads and 2/1 negative. Wire up one of the positives to your positive corner light and the other positive to the blinker positive. Then for the two or single negative wire you can wired it to the negative corner or on a metal part of the car. As to swithching to the H4 harness you do the same. one lead goes to the lows and the other to the highs. Make sure you observe what prongs go to which of the bulbs filaments so you can distinguish between the highs and lows. I'm pretty sure there's a diagram for this, but this is how I'd do it. It's similar to how I did my turn signals to stay on. I changed out the harness.
    [IMG]
  16. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Gotcha fastrolla96. I could have sworn I remember seeing your car with the JDM headlights. Did you have them at one point?