1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

sleepwalking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by falnfenix, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    sleepwalking?

does anyone here do this?

i used to sleepwalk a LOT when i was little...my parents would always find me in wierd places in the house, and i'd never remember going there. wierd stuff kept moving or disappearing in the house, and we figured out it was me moving it in my sleep.

well, we though i'd grown out of that by the time i was 7...apparently not. i started sleepwalking again like 2 nights ago, and now i can't get a good night's sleep to save my life.

does anyone have an idea of what causes this, or how i can stop it? i'm going to consult a doctor next week(that's when the next available appointment is), but i'd like some ideas to curb this till then...i'm horribly afraid i'll end up hurting myself on the stairs.

thanks
  2. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    i have never experience sleep walking, but sleep downstairs for now i guess.
  3. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    lock your bedroom door, if u can unlock it while sleepwalking then ur pretty much fucked
  4. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    does that stuff hurt?...sorry, it just doesn't sound good.
  5. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Sleepwalking (Somnambulism) is a series of complex behaviors that are initiated during slow wave sleep and result in walking during sleep. Sleepwalking is a rapid eye movement (REM) behavior disorder occurring in the dream stage of sleep. During this phase, the body releases a chemical that paralyzes the body. Those who sleepwalk do not have this chemical trigger - leading to sleepwalking.

Symptoms and Features:

- Ambulation (walking or moving about) that occurs during sleep.
    - Difficulty in arousing the patient during an episode.
    - Amnesia following an episode.
    - Episodes typically occur in the first third of the sleep episode.
    - Polysomnographic monitoring demonstrates the onset of an episode during stage 3 or stage 4 sleep.
    - Other medical and psychiatric disorders can be present but do not account for the symptom.
    - The ambulation is not due to other sleep disorders such as REM sleep behavior disorder or sleep terrors.
    - Fatigue (which is not the same as drowsiness).
    - Stress
    - Anxiety

There are some things a sleepwalker can do:

- Make sure you get plenty of rest (being overtired can trigger a sleepwalking episode).
    - Develop a calming bedtime ritual (meditate or do relaxation exercises, stress can be another trigger for sleepwalking).
    - Remove anything from the bedroom that could be hazardous or harmful.
    - The sleepwalker's bedroom should be on the ground floor of the house. The possibility of the patient opening windows or doors should be eliminated (hanging door alarms can help).
    - An assessment of the sleepwalker should include a careful review of the current medication so that modifications can be made if necessary.

Treament(s) that may be suggested by doctors:
    - Hypnosis.
    - Possible psychiatric evaluation
    - Benzodiazepines (diazepam or lorazepam) may eliminate the episodes or considerably reduces them. Commonly known as tranquilizers or sleeping pills.

They say about 18-20% of all people have some episodes of sleewalking in their lifetime - most grow out of it - but sometimes they come back. Once you find or determine the trigger for the episodes - then the doctor or you can find the appropriate treatment or action to take.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    skyace - ha, cute...though i seem to sleepwalk through odd things...like falling down the stairs.

Azn - i live in the basement currently, though i seem to enjoy climbing the stairs in my sleep.

bulletproof - trying the locked door tonight...hopefully it keeps me in here :meh:
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    fishexpo - WHOA...thanks. i'm so tired that i couldn't find anything on google...lol
  8. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    I sleep walk and usually end up taking a shower, but I never knew all that stuff, that would explain this month a lot
  9. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    LOL..i have never heard of that...'ending up taking a shower'..now is that with the water on and everything and then wake up?
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    see...i used to eat when i was a kid...
  11. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    how interesting...
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    try setting up some kind of alarm with string, tin cans and bells at your door so u wake up immediately
  13. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    basically ne thing loud
  14. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:

Yea, I would get undressed turn the water on get in and shower soap shampoo and all, never wake up. Dry off get changed and go to back to sleep.
  15. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    I thought that you werent suppose to wake a sleep walker cuz they could like have a seizure or a nervous breakdown or something like that.....wouldnt that be crazy, the first thing you do when you wake up is have a seizure....

....newayz, i dont necessarily sleepwalk but i do talk in my sleep....i think its a family thing tho.....my cousin on the other hand is pretty freaky when he sleep talks....i remember one night i slept over his house and i was watchin TV n he goes "get the axe outta the shed for me".....
  16. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    wow...go 2 bed in one set of clothing and wake up in another...
  17. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    Yea, I did it this morning, I got up turned the alarm off got in the shower and then got out and then woke up.

I also talk in my sleep, its mainly the repeating loop from my work (its a loop of the movies and other shit thats coming out) or Adult Film Titles. Its kinda funny when ever me and my girl crash together
  18. Offline

Message Count:

why these lol
  19. Offline

Azn_SpICe New Member

Message Count:
    ^^LOL...he was prob dreamin' about them while he was sleepin'
  20. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    No I see them at work a lot and I dunno why I do it cause I am sure as hell not dreaming about them
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    ^ where do u work r they hiring
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    won't work...i sleep through anything.

i sleeptalk as well...but i do that only when i'm REALLY tired.

thanks for the suggestions guys...what's freaky is i locked my door last night, and paid attention to where i left things...i managed to unlock the door in my sleep, and do god-only-knows what. i asked my mom, and she said that i'd never hurt myself by sleepwalking when i was a kid...so i guess i'm ok. this whole thing just freaks me out to no end...heh.
  23. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    my doc just told me if that ever happins to me again to talk like nyqill to knock my ass out for good
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    no...i'm avoiding drugs. besides...Nyquil ends up leaving me with a nasty feeling in the morning.
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    wow u opened or lock, thats fuckin weird
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    yep...i know :(
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    hehe i dont kno if its worth the trouble but this is probably the best choice next to medication, reverse the lock on your door so that the lock on the INSIDE is the one that requires the key then place the key in an inconspicuous area if u find the key in your sleep thats it......... u might as well give up
  28. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
  29. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    WOW, you managed to open a locked door.
  30. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    umm...straightjacket? lol j/k

Sleepwalking is freaky, I've done it before...and I don't like the feeling of not knowing what I'm doing. It's amazing the capacity of our minds without conscious thought. Most of your day could be done automatically.

If you don't want to try medication, try looking up some herbal remedies, I'm positive there are some out there. Perhaps nothing like nyquil or sleeping pills, but maybe a cup of some relaxing tea before bed might help...