1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Skunk2 question

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Ninety Four, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    Skunk2 question

What's the spring rate for Skunk2 coilovers for the 93-02 models? How stiff are they compared to Ground Controls and also to real coilovers, like Tein Flex?
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I believe its 300lbs/in, same with Ground Control. But I would recommend GC over skunk becuz GC use Eibach race springs and you can customize the spring rates when you order them. (you can also order a few more sets of their standarized springs if needed.) Make sure you upgrade your struts beyond the normal factory replacement sets like GR2 or HP because they were only made to handle about ~200lbs/in which is normally found in brand X lowering springs or you would get premature shock blow out + a bouncy ride due to increct shock valving.

Teins Flex come with base spring rates of 6/4 kg/mm, you can go up 2kg/mm or down 1kg/mm with the factory valving.

I forgot the conversion factor for lbs/in <> kg/mm but you could find it on google.
  3. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    So Flex is stiffer than GC. To convert from lb/in to kg/mm, you divide by 56, so the GCs come in around 5.36kg/mm. From what you're saying, if I were to buy GCs, I'd have to get Konis too. Seems like it makes more sense to just buy a full coilover system.

Tein SS for our cars looks to be just 5/3 kg/mm. I have S-Techs now and they're only 1.3-3kg/mm. The car doesn't seem to have enough travel with the S-techs, because I bottom out too easily over mild corners. How do those Ksport coilovers compared to Flex?

I just found this group buy on the KSport Coilovers if anyone is interested BTW.

http://vvti.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10874
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yes, I was looking at the Koni/GC setup more than a yr ago, turns out it would cost around 9bills for that setup and that dosent even include upper pillowball mounts or independant height/preload adjustment. But on the plus side standarized springs are realitively cheap (easier to play around with diff spring rates) and turnaround time for shock rebuild is about a week. Don't pay too much attention to the base spring rates because most coilover companies allow you to mix and match before placeing the order.. And YES you definately want a shock that is valved to handle the increase spring rate unless you order Ground Controls with ~100lbs/in (for stock struts) ~150-200lbs/in (for KYB GR-2, Tokico HP) or your ride quality, drivability, and shock life will suffer.

Tein SS is much like a koni/GC setup as it dosen't include upper mount (but could be included as an option +$300) and you cannot adjust height and preload independantly, only plus is the entire shock body is threaded and installation is not as much of an hassle.

Tein Flex (and the like) has the same features as SS but includes upper pillowball mounts and independant height and preload adjustment. Upper pillowball mount is a much needed upgrade because (our) 4 wheel macpherson strut suspension design inherently incorporate a lot of dynamic camber changes (leans to positive during hard cornering) which leads to sloppy handling.
    With independant height/pload adjustment you may adjust the height by raising/lowering the shock body itself without affecting the compression of the spring so you dont sacrafice spring travel at any height AND also allow you to corner balance.

The features of Ksport is comparably to Flex. I have installed these on another car but I am very unhappy about the built quality.. it's lacking.. at best. Long story short they dont even included built in brake line or sway bar retainers. My theory is that ksport copied their designs from other companies instead of engineering their own and the pieces are mostly universal. BUT my initial thought about the ride quality is positive.. I didn't get to push them tho. Only time could tell how good/bad they really are.