1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Silverstars installed, but shining light upwards, whats wron

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by S1L1C0N, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Offline

S1L1C0N Guest

Message Count:
    Silverstars installed, but shining light upwards, whats wron

We just recently installed a complete set of silverstars, disabled the DRL and popped on a few other accessories, I notice lots of light escaping the driver side headlamp hosing and going up at a 45 degree angle or so. Has anyone noticed this with silverstars? Solutions? I made sure the bulb was properly seated and fully seated. all checked out ok and it is centered in the housing also.
  2. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    reaim the headlight
  3. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    good idea
  4. Offline

S1L1C0N Guest

Message Count:
    Oddly enough the main focus of the light is fine, but a great amount is leaking upwards on that one headlamp. They are both perfectly aligned.
  5. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    dunno then..maybe the shield happenly got damaged?
  6. Offline

S1L1C0N Guest

Message Count:
    I checked and doublechecked, it seems to be from both headlights, I think the sylvania bulbs are a weeeee bit shorter, and thus if you look at it from the right angle u can see down into the housing directly at the filament. I think this is where the extra bleed is coming from.
  7. Offline

noservice2001 Guest

Message Count:
    right now, i took off my silverstars, use blue tint "HID" "XENON" bubs, they still do the same thing on my car, the right side, (in drivers seat) (left light, if looking head on to the car) is showing a beam directory of upwards, unless the other one is downwards... but it's not that big of a deal to me, cuz i only need light to blind oncoming traffic here in Hawaii... :) just kidding, but it does kinda bug me when i park next to a wall, straight on, and the two lights aren't parallel to the ground....
  8. Offline

TravisB New Member

Message Count:
    Make sure they're in the housing perfectly... I put mine in once and they were just a little off when I screwed them in and it did the same thing.
  9. Offline

montrolla Guest

Message Count:
    i'm on silverstar and i have the same problem. propably it is like that and we never noticed with the stock bulbs.
  10. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    got the same problem w/ silverstars.
  11. Offline

champu26 Guest

Message Count:
    Check the alignment of the filament. The filament of the bulb should be exactly in the center of the glass housing in the bulb. If the light leaks upward, the filament is leaning towards the outlet of the bulb. If it is leaking downward, the filament is leaning away from the outlet of the bulb. I had the same problem before until I noticed this.

When buying bulbs, make sure the filament is directly centered in the bulb to avoid unecessary headlight adjustment.
  12. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    I read a car review once (Lemon aid) that said the stock head lights actually shoot up at nearly 45%. I've never noticed it on my car, but supposedly lots of people complain about it.