1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Silverstar vs other xenon headlights

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Silver_Nitrate, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Offline

Silver_Nitrate New Member

Message Count:
    Silverstar vs other xenon headlights

Which one is better?
  2. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    well-it depends on your favorite color... silverstars are VERY good quality headlights-VERY bright-very reliable-BUT, they dont seem to be "blue" enough for my taste...so i went with some cheapo ebay xenons-and they were much stronger in color...
  3. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    but do they actually give you better visibility?

i'm quite happy with my Silverstars...but i did a lot of reading up before i bought them.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    cool beans, I don't care much about the color. I just want to see better at night.
  5. Offline

Smurf New Member

Message Count:
    i love my silverstars! go for them u see alot better with them
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    I've heared the high wattage xenon bulbs can melt your stock wiring. is this myth true?
  7. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  8. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    just make sure whatever you get that its DOT approved- i got some Nokya Arctic white headlights-they suck about 80Watts! thats 25 watts over oem standards which can fry wiring if you dont have a special harness-its not worth it-just go w/ either silverstars or cheapo eurodesigns(which are the only DOT bulbs that have the most color for the cheap price) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...7907512509&rd=1
  9. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    silverstars are great. any bulb rated or 4500k can melt your harness.
  10. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    that 4500k thing you're talking about is the color temperature... the color temperature has no bearing on whether or not your harness will get fried. it just so happens that high color temperature bulbs will have high wattage as well, otherwise they will be ass dim and you will get arrested. the wattage is what pwns the wires, so don't get anything above stock wattage without first getting an aftermarket harness.

that being said, I have an aftermarket harness for sale (9005/9006) with 1 fucked up relay (you can buy one for hella cheap or just use the harness for low or high beams) for 30$$ PM for details!
  11. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    well i knew the part about the wattage but i was always told that anyhting over 4500k which gets very hot would fry them. thanks for clearing that up.
  12. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    usually (at least my understanding-i work w/ lights that go over fish tanks! ) the color temperature rated by the Kelvin temperature scale-the lower the numbers, the less likely they "penetrate" or travel farther through space...so a 3000k light will travel much less farther than a 6000k light-that being said-the color so happens to change as well when going down the spectrum-the higher you go-the more blue it gets-the lower you go=the more yellowish- also-some bulbs are coated w/ cheap paint to make them look blue but rather make your light more dim...
  13. Offline

98guerolla New Member

Message Count:
  14. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    the whole appoarch on that ebay site is cheezy. most of that stuff is lies. i doubt they give you a lifetime warrenty. how could they do this. they know the bulbs die. so why would they give them to you for free.
  15. Offline

CaptainCorolla Thread Captain

Message Count:
    I have tried many bulbs. I found the KOBA bulbs to be excellent. I actually have had people who believed I had real HID kits in. They look that bright. As far as the wattage goes, it's hard to say. I say better safe than sorry. BUT, I used 130W bulbs on my last corolla with NO problems for years. The KOBA bulbs are stock wattage, just to let you know. They usually sell as "europe's whitest" or "germany's whitest". I paid $6 for mine a year ago, plus shipping, still going strong, although I disabled my DRLs. But I highly recommend them, they are super ass bright, very focused and bluish/purple. I used to use eurolite's, but they have gotten crappier over the years. THose gave super super blue light. I heard the new ones look bone stock!
  16. Offline

Def98rolla Guest

Message Count:
    hey D samurai you work with tanks?! or just the bulbs? Bro do you have a hook up for tanks by anychance Im trying to find a new tank cause my 20 aint cutting it for me my cichlids are getting to big for it and I wanna convert it to an african tank..anyhow let me know if u can get a hook up or what not......SORRY IF THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POST ...but yeah if u get a higher watt bulbs get a new harness cause the stock one will melt ...Im just lucky mine havent yet been three years and nothing yet but watch tomorrow that shit melfts now that I jynxd myself haha
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah that's what I had right now. we sell the dot approved eurolites. Compared to the cool blue's they are whiter, but after reading everybody's opinion, I went ahead and bought the silverstar's for 40 bucks. Immidiately I can tell the color difference when I installed the first one and compared it to the eurolites. When night came, I drove it and its freaking bright and white. I can actually see the road now. all the side markers are so clear, it feels like almost daylight. I love it!!! best 40 bucks I've spend so far this month. =)
  18. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    hehe, thats cool def98rolla-and yes-i work with all kinds of fish-lots of african cichlids and such- you must have south american species since you said you wanted african... 20 gallon's alright..but its best to bump it up to atleast a 30gallon...i work in richmond, VA http://www.perfectpetsofva.com if your in the neighborhood-im sure i can cut you some deals on stuff..
  19. Offline

nikeair11 Guest

Message Count:
    I haven't tried anything but SilverStars and the cheap eBay bulbs, but I definitely like the SilverStars. White enough for me, and very bright.
  20. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    very well put. i bought the 25 dollars set of 9005 and 9006 on ebay for my corolla and they were bright, but had a very blue tint. the silverstar 9003 that i have now have a clear white glow. very bright.
  21. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    I thought I replied to this thread, but I guess not. Silverstars are whiter and brighter than stock bulbs, but like others have said, they aren't going to be mistaken for HIDs. When you're really serious about lighting, go on over to www.illusion-lighting.com
  22. Offline

SBUBandit New Member

Message Count:
    I have FXStyle Xenons. Got em on ebay. They're my 4th different brand of Xenons, and I'm very happy. The Silverstars are the best if you don't want to rewire anything. If you want asinine bright, they you can do waht I did, My xenons are 90W low beam/130W high beam. They are pretty wild, and look great, and I can see pretty dang far. Only thing is, if you want to run that high wattage, you'll need two things. First, you need a high wattage harness, cause I gaurantee you'll melt the stock harness. Been there, done that. Then you'll need to disable the daytime running lamps. My car is actually a Prizm, but the Rollas/Prizms use the low beams for their DRL, so on a 95 degree day in July when you need to make a 200 mile trip, you'll be running 100W lights the whole way. I did that once too, the entire headlight housing melted, started smoking, and was hanging down over the front bumper. If you're not up for the rewiring, get the silverstar or save for HID
  23. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    The DOT does not "approve" or "disapprove" lights.

24. Offline

ShockBaby Guest

Message Count:
  25. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    man, thanks for diggin this old baby up! :)
  26. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    man this mofo is diggin every headlight post up.
  27. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    lol damn your signature is a blast from the past!
  28. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    This is a decent thread for lightbulbs. Everything sounds good about them. I just got a set of the silverstars for my lowbeams. Going to install them tonight. We'll see....

statik
  29. Offline

XS PSI New Member

Message Count:
    nice but HID kits are not plug-in-play nor wil it work for everyone. A lot of people here don't want to lose the highbeams just to get HID's
  30. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Well I installed them last night... Wow, what a difference from the old ones... Looks cooler than before, definatley brighter.. raised them up a little too. We need good lights up here! The sun is rising at 10:30am and setting at 3:00pm, so it's dark alot of the winter...
    blah...

great lights, yay!

statik