1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

side affect of "HID-like" bulbs

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by jdmmarkii, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    side affect of "HID-like" bulbs

what are the side effect of having those HID like bulbs. right now i have the razo premium white zero for lows and highs and i have the razo royal white for the drive lights. they are awesome. from what i've heard here and a few places, only the cheap bulbs will melt the housing. the good thing is that i'm running stock watts all around. so i'm not worry about that or the harness, im just worry if it is going to do damage to the housing or not. maybe i just anwser my own question???

i have pixs ready to go, i just need to get my site up and running.
  2. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    One of my friends had one explode in his light, his left light it now cloudy.
  3. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    If the bulbs are all stock wattage then you shouldnt have to worry about any melting.

If you ever get higher wattage bulbs make sure you upgrade your lighting harness thou.
  4. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    thats what i though. another question is, are there fake noyka bulbs. on ebay someone claims that real noyka bulbs will have certain things on the package. i brought some a long time ago, it was a typical noyka package but didnt say what stage. the output was high, and read at 4000k. or is that the older style noyka?
  5. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Side effect? It's an expensive habit to "maintain" that look. I'd just buy an HID kit. In the long-run you'll save on bulbs and get greater light output, and get the "HID-look" that you're after.
  6. Offline

trdalm Guest

Message Count:
    my bulbs are same wattage except for high beam.. I believe the stock high beam is 60watts and the bulbs i got use 65watts should I be worried about anything or since its only 5 watt difference I shouldnt have any probs?
  7. Offline

brownbanana ToadMotorSports

Message Count:
    do you use your high beams often?
  8. Offline

CorollaX Guest

Message Count:
    i have 10,000k McColloch HID kit... much brighter then ur blue bulbs =]
  9. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    shouldnt pose a problem i have 55w for the high beams

how does 10,000k look.
  10. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    10,000 Kelvin in a true HID would have crappy output. 10,000 Kelvin in an incandescent bulb (filament-based) would look greenish-purplish and also have terrible light output about the same as a 40w light bulb). Either way, both would be horrible in terms of lighting the road. The best "color" is 4100-4300k
  11. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    7000k is the max i'll ever go..but i personally liek pure white..i have 4300k
  12. Offline

jdmmarkii Guest

Message Count:
    i like the pure white too, i've tried the nokya artic purple at 8000k, its cool, but its purple and doesnt give out too much lights. 6500k was the last highest i went, nice blueish white light, with good output. so i'm staying in the 4100-5000k. its better than stock at least and i finally have a close to lexus hid lighting.
  13. Offline

Dimsum New Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys, just wondering, do you people with the HID's get harassed by the Highway Patrol and where do you guys live? As for the kelvin rating, as most of you guys know, its just the light spectrum from red-purple, the higher it is the more of one side your gunna get. Natural light is like 5k-6.5k. I should know this cause i used to work in the freaken electrical department of a hardware store... Cool white is 4100 Kelvins.