1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine short ram intake question

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by ph0bi4, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    short ram intake question

i'm seriously considering buying one of the cheap ebay intakes (most likely the one below)
    [IMG]

my question is what risks are involved with having this thing under my hood. any?
  2. Offline

dragonfiyah513 Guest

Message Count:
    i thinkin the same thing too
  3. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    there shouldnt be any problems...if you get all the hoses connected correctly and have the MAF securely fit on
  4. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Only thing I can think of is hydrolocking, I know it can happen with a CAI. But if you have water in your hood, ur car is screwed anyway. Alot of my friends have CAI's or short rams, and they said its real easy to do yourself.
  5. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    for it to hydrolock the filter must be submerged in water...a few splashes shouldnt hurt either...ive been thru many lil puddles and been fine
  6. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    i was thinking that hydrolocking was mainly an issue in CAIs
  7. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    But just imagine if you had an Altis or Vuteq grill going through the car wash with jets of water blasting into your engine bay! Haha. Anyway, ya hydrolocking is usually an issue associated with CAIs because CAIs are lower to the ground, where flooded streets can cause the CAI to become submerged in water. Small splashes of water are nothing.
  8. Offline

kaizen R Guest

Message Count:
    im using that intake tube... and i coupled it with a K&N filter....

works fine for me...
  9. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Curiously, why would anyone want a short arm/ram intake? Sure it's less restrictive than the OEM airbox, but it's still sucking in hot air...
  10. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Well some people are worried about hydrolocking so they get the Short Ram Intake. As I said, if you get that submerged in water, your pretty much screwed anyway.
  11. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    this wouldn't actually be an issue, would it? i've never been through one of those washing machines or whatever, but i might in the future.
  12. Offline

hooolala Guest

Message Count:
    no.. it won't be an issue... he was just trying to scare you.... :D

But if you are really worry about it... what you can do is buy a AEM By pass valve.. that will take care the problem..
  13. Offline

Leon J Guest

Message Count:
    Exactly, because the bypass valve seals out the water from the cold air intake. I'm considering getting one even with a short ram.
  14. Offline

1ZZ-ROLLA-S Guest

Message Count:
    A by-pass valve will not help you on a short-ram intake. The valve and the filter are at about the same height.

As for hydro-lock.....like [TRD] RoLLa said...."the filter must be completly submerged". Rain, carwashes, snow, ect. will not be an issue. Everyone will tell they know somebody who has H-locked an engine, but in reality, it's quite rare. Besides, as mentioned by someone above, if you're in water deep enough to submerge the filter on a short-ram.....you've got more issues than just H-lock.