1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Shopping List, Help!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Barnacules, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Shopping List, Help!

I'm finally ready to do some crazy stuff to my 2001 Corolla but I'm having a hard time locating and decided on what parts to use so I thought I would put it up for debate. Below is a list of parts that I want to add or upgrade and I would like to hear about what parts are available and personal oppinions and experience with them.

Order of Upgrades (6 month time frame:(
    1) Coilovers (structs and springs) (Want something very stiff, Dont want it bottoming out rear end with 4 passengers)
    2) Flywheel (9lb -12lb)
    3) Clutch (Strong hookup, but stop and go driving capable)
    4) ECU upgrades (Chips, Piggy Backs, Modifiers, etc)
    5) Super Charger (1ZZ-FE) (Want to use something other then Turbo TRD or alternative and all supporting equipment)

Thanks...
  2. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    1)try the Tein Flex system...expensive but i heard it's awesome
    2)search around on that one...otherwise try www.racingsolution.comwww.monkeywrenchracing.com
    3)same as #2
    4)GReddy E-manage or APEXi S-AFC (either I or II)
    5)no s/c for 98-02, unless u try to fit the 03+ s/c, but u would have to modify/replace your radiator and modify the hood...there is no Turbo TRD...its the TRD S/C...otherwise go w/ a custom turbo setup
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Awesome! You know your stuff. I was thinking of the 03+ S/C but was worried about the radiator problem. I plan on getting a new hood anyways so if I could find a VIS hood that would fit over the 03 S/C I would go for it but I didn't want to have to do a new radiator too. Hmm okay lets talk turbo. If I want to do a custom turbo with a VVTi engine how would I go about that. I want to avoid stafford fab because I hear they ship way late and make some mistakes. I'm not super mechanical or anything but i have a friend that does car mods for a living but only works on Honda/Accura so he doesn't know what parts to get the for the rolla but would have no problem installing them.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks..
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Oh yeah, If I picked up an APEXi S-AFC will that allow me to change my Rev Limiter. Also is it compatible with my ECU? If so where can I find directions on the install.

Thanks...
  5. Offline

fill Guest

Message Count:
    if ur gunna do all those piggy back why not just go for a stand alone?
    1 thing about supercharging a car is that it'll be cheaper(MOST LIKELY!)
    if you do a turbo setup i dunno man its not that bad i guess
    your gunna have to get fuel injectors n a fuel pump if u wanna go turbo/sc
    but if you go sc u dont need a manifold, downpipe
    uhh i dunno i forgot the rest of it, oh yes also intercooler piping
    some SC's dont need a intercooler, theres 2 styles of superchargers
    centrifugal and root
    i'd get standalone tho, IMO

sc... more like a bracket i think for the Sc right?, im not a big fan of sc
    pully set... uhh what else i dunno i forgot but someone fill the rest in

oh yes i dont know much about corollas but maybe FPR? someone fill in the rest for me, i come from 240sx's i dont know much about corollas

why not add cams?

*EDIT*
    almost forgot what are the compression on the corolla pistons?
    u'd prob need a headgasket if its a crappy 1
    high compression u might wanna get new pistons or get a thicker headgasket to change compression
    rods maybe if the 1s in the motor are weak same gos for pistons

also *EDIT
    maybe you could also do a cheap junkyard turbo kit
    take a turbo off a talon tsi or a gst / gsx
    http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/index2.html &lt;-these guys have flanges n crap for manifolds but i dunno if they'll have 1 for the corolla
    never checked

the dsm's had a 2.0L motor so i guess the turbo aint bad for a 1.6/1.8L car
    shoudn't be too bad =]
    *also the 1st gen auto/manual had 2 dif turbos* * i dunno about the 2nd gen, it had a T25*
    1st gen had a 12A?! &lt;-AUTO and a 14B? &lt;-manual i forgot the letters its one of em

also grab a boost gauge

turbo-&gt; (maybe a manual boost controller (some stand alones have a solinoid for this))