1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Shifting on an automatic???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corolla_Racer956, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Offline

Corolla_Racer956 Guest

Message Count:
    Shifting on an automatic???

hey guys ac ouple of nights ago i went to go race with some of my friends and they asked if i was shifting on my automatic, i thought that was a weird question but i replied with a no. Now they want me to try to shift to see if i can actually run faster! what so you guys think will it hep out or just blow my engine eventually??
  2. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah dont do it. It will hurt your auto tranny...I had to get mine replaced after only 15,000 miles, so dont...and it really wont run any faster. u can peel out and turn the tires on a neutral drop, but thats the only difference.
  3. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    yeah, the only way to make the auto faster is to turn off the OD but thats about it, besides it shifts fast enuf on its own.
  4. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    it really wont shift any faster the only thing you can do is make sure you bring the rpm's to the rev limiter and get to peak hp. if you engine is stock shifting might help a bit as the trans shifts around 6K and not 6,450. if you have a cold air it may shift around 6,200 or at least mine did.
    with a supercharger is the only way it shifted at the rev limiter. and when i added a cai it would hit the rev limiter.
    hope this helps.
  5. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    I have done this in the past. I cant race without it now. L to 2 to D; then turn off OD if you need to. It takes practice to get it right at the rev limiter but when you do i think its faster then letting the gay ass ecu decide when you should shift.
  6. Offline

DaChozn Guest

Message Count:
    Simple answer: DON'T DO IT!!! Unless you want to go thru the mission of getting a new transmission.
  7. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    doing that also increases the likeliness of tearing up ur transaxle and ur CV Boots, tranny, etc
  8. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    That stuff sounds important. lol I still got my warrenty.
  9. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Auto trannies are not built for that kind of abuse. They're designed to do all that for you.

If you wanted to shift, you should've gotten a manual.
  10. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    If it had been my choice i would have gotten a stick in a heartbeat. Alas, it was not my choice and Im very sad.